Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2002, 17:22 (Ref:312838)   #1
Alexander
Rookie

Alexander should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank Williams

Hi,

I am doing a school project on Frank Williams and his life so far. I've been looking on the internet to find information about him but there isn't much. Does anyone know a biography book about him or a website with info on his life rather than the williams team? I know he has a wife and three children but what are there names and how old are they all? Does he live in the UK and if so which area is he from?

Thank you, Alex.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 17:33 (Ref:312847)   #2
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome,

Frank Williams is from Shepherd's Bush, London (I think). He was paralysed in a road accident just before the start of the 1986 season.

That's a couple of facts I know.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 17:37 (Ref:312851)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was an article in a recent Autosport (I think) about Patrick Head that had a bit about FW's career. I could look it up (last 4 weeks or so) if you want.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Jun 2002, 17:42 (Ref:312862)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
see if you can get a copy of life at the limit by sid watkins it's got about 6 or 7 pages about Franks accident. (sid operated, or at least oversaw franks operation, and Bernie lent them his private plane to fly frank back from france)
Old 13 Jun 2002, 18:54 (Ref:312911)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
If you can get hold of back issues of F1 Racing magazine, they did an article quite a while ago (two or three years, I think) about Frank Williams, which was quite interesting. It had a lot about his accident and how it affected his life, I think.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:24 (Ref:312953)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
If you can get hold of back issues of F1 Racing magazine, they did an article quite a while ago (two or three years, I think) about Frank Williams, which was quite interesting. It had a lot about his accident and how it affected his life, I think.
Ralfs Girl is right, December 1996 was the issue if you can get hold of it! good luck!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:37 (Ref:312965)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
There is actually a book biography of Frank Williams - ISBN number ISBN: 0333717163 - I have no idea how good it is as I haven't read it!

Amazon carry it.

You can see some excerpts from it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...30#reader-link

Apologies for the really long link - that's Amazon for ya!

You can also get some details on the early years of the team at www.f1db.com
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:41 (Ref:312967)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also grandprix.com has a team bio covering 1967 to 2000.

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/con-willi.html
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:58 (Ref:312991)   #9
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank Williams: absolutely wonderful bloke.

One way you could find out more about him is to pose a question to the Ask Nigel column on the autosport.com website - it's gone 'off air' at the moment while Nigel Roebuck is away. But when it returns, I strongly recommend this - Roebuck is probably the best F1 writer of all time and knows Frank extremely well.

Above all, I think you'll find he's a racer through and through. Doesn't care too much which of his drivers wins the title, just so long as his cars do. Not one for imposing team orders.

One thing I also love about Frank is that he never - NEVER - allows so-called driver managers into his office when interviewing a new prospect. They are always told to wait downstairs in reception!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 00:55 (Ref:313189)   #10
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FW used to be a F3 racer, very fast but he tended to shoot off the track and crash a lot. He also used to do a lot of wheeling and dealing kinda like Eddie Jordan buying and selling stuff. He built up his company from scratch. He started off running an F1 car for Piers Courage who died in an horrific F1 smash. I guess the book will have more stuff though....
Old 14 Jun 2002, 20:41 (Ref:313888)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive read a biography about Frank written by Maurice Hamilton . great read , Frank used to be a keen runner , he used to run miles and miles every day before he left the factory , the accident he had was driving back from a test at Paul-Ricard in France , he was hammering his hire car around the roads of southern france when he lost it . He admits it was totally his fault as he was driving like a idiot .

Frank is a very brave man , he has never let his disabilitys beat him , or stop him running his company like he wants to .
Old 17 Jun 2002, 09:39 (Ref:315284)   #12
flaggie1
Racer

flaggie1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might want to have a look at the williams website you may be able to contact him. Short of that send a letter or drop into there factory in Grove in Oxfordshire. They are very accomidating for people interested in the team. Short of all that the supporters club magazine "Teamtalk" had an interview with him before the oz g.p. which gives a brief insight.