Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2002, 12:59 (Ref:313523)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Poor Juan

From F1-Live.com

=========
...After retiring from the Canadian Grand Prix after securing his second pole position in succession, Williams driver Juan Pablo Montoya was back at work at the Jerez circuit on Thursday (day three)... but unfortunately, the Colombian only managed an installation lap when his FW24 burst into flames, ending his day extremely prematurely under the hot Spanish sun.

Flames were seen emerging from the back of the car as the driver instantly parked it and exited as quick as possible. ...at this stage the team suspect a defect in the fuel circuit...As the car was unable to be repaired in time for him to venture back out, Juan will continue testing here today...
===========

Seesh...tough luck for JPM...what does the man need to do??!! now he can't even start to get down to work! Williams and BMW ought to work something out before JPM-fans smash tomatoes at their faces...

But to all his fans, don't worry...the bright side of it all is that JPM is still impressively quick...as explained by his test team manager regarding the incident...
=========
(cont'd)....“Just after Juan Pablo's installation lap this morning, we suffered a fire that concluded our running today,” explained Tim Newton, test team manager. “Juan safely exited the car in 4.1 seconds and our attentions have been focused on the preparing of the car for tomorrow.”
=========

4.1 seconds...not bad at all!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 13:18 (Ref:313536)   #2
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Notice he didn't hang around after he wen't out at Canada?

Normaly JPM just shrugs it off, says somethin' like "oh well never mind" smiles and that's about it.
But this time he couldn't wait to get out of there.
He becomin' more than slightly upset with the Williams team/BMW engine maybe?
Old 14 Jun 2002, 13:27 (Ref:313541)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by J.McClane
He becomin' more than slightly upset with the Williams team/BMW engine maybe?
don't think he'd have re-signed till the end of 2004 if he was too upset! he's been unfortunate, that can't be denied, but he's obviously happy with what Williams have planned for the near future!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

But to all his fans, don't worry
who's worried? we know he's quick!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 13:33 (Ref:313544)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He needs some of TGF's luck!!!!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 14:05 (Ref:313560)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we know that JPM has signed? Some sites seem to feel differently.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns06447.html

Even though BMW is praised for the speed of the Williams I feel it is the reason that they did not come in second last year and it could be the final nail in the coffin as far as this years title fight is concerned.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 14:05 (Ref:313561)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"who's worried? we know he's quick!"

err....... i was thinking more of the line... "why the need to tell us the time it took JPM to get out... you mean they actually know when his car's blowing, and is bothered to time the exact time he took to come out?"

Williams is leaving nothing to chance...
Old 14 Jun 2002, 14:09 (Ref:313564)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Missed that aspect Gt_R..... Funny! (off topic, I remember that long time ago I watched a football match. And the comentator said something like "there are approximately 41,987 spectators on the stadium" )
Old 14 Jun 2002, 14:14 (Ref:313568)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now thinking of that...

How many fast drivers, promised ones, highly hoped had their career ended by this kind of stuff. Not that I am saying that Williams and BMW will never sort it out, but to the whole of the circunstances and pressure by the press and fans.

Still I have faith on JPM success.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 14:15 (Ref:313570)   #9
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is worried? Schumacher of course. If not he would not order his slave to move over even knowing that my grandma would win the title in a Ferrari.....LOL
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:27 (Ref:313660)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Eight more years of practice and he'll have a chance of the same kind of "luck".
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:29 (Ref:313661)   #11
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you need to be able to get out in a maximum of five seconds to get a superlicense?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:36 (Ref:313662)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Eight more years of practice and he'll have a chance of the same kind of "luck".
no amount of time,practice or ability can change your luck Glen!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:46 (Ref:313666)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr V

Should have been more obvious...

"The more I practice, the luckier I get."

Gary Player's famous words - the meaning, in case noone spotted it, is that what your detractors write-off as "luck" is just-rewards for reams and reams of experience - which manifests itself in many other ways than the most obvious or appealing. An old-time champion in any sport (Ali in boxing would be a good parallel) attains the ability to gain so much from the seemingly irrelevant facets of his sport that his continued successes seem to come from nowhere.

Evidence - Schumacher often produces these drives where at about half race distance you suddenly start to think, "Oh no, he's going to do it again" - and then goddamit he does!

Racecraft would be a more succinct way of putting it - and at this level Montoya has a lot to learn.

Last edited by Glen; 14 Jun 2002 at 16:48.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:49 (Ref:313667)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Juan shrugs, he got accoustomed to failures in 2000, when the Lola Toyota failed to finish 12 times...

2. Had Juan a car as reliable as the Ferrari F2001 and F2002, he would have about 6 wins already between 2001 and 2002.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 17:02 (Ref:313676)   #15
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But you have to ask, Jordi, why did Juan's Lola DNF 12 times? At least part of the answer rests w/ Montoya's driving style which tends to use up cars in 40 laps of a 50 lap race.

Still, Venus, I mean Juan, is my favorite among the Williams sisters.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 17:06 (Ref:313683)   #16
J.McClane
Veteran

Quote:
don't think he'd have re-signed till the end of 2004 if he was too upset! he's been unfortunate, that can't be denied, but he's obviously happy with what Williams have planned for the near future!

But when did he sign this, AFTER the recent blowin' up of engines?
No, i don't belive he did
Old 14 Jun 2002, 17:21 (Ref:313691)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
"The more I practice, the luckier I get."

Gary Player's famous words - the meaning, in case noone spotted it, is that what your detractors write-off as "luck" is just-rewards for reams and reams of experience...
Another quote: "You've got to be lucky to be good, and be good to be lucky."

A third: "When they're handing out good luck, you have to be there."

There is luck involved in winning. Not always, but often enough. But you have to be in a position to take advantage.

In another thread they're talking about whether JPM's double pass of Kimi and Halfie was good or lucky. As Forrest Gump might say, "maybe it's both."
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Jun 2002, 17:33 (Ref:313703)   #18
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
Who is worried? Schumacher of course. If not he would not order his slave to move over even knowing that my grandma would win the title in a Ferrari.....LOL
Yeah even a granny can win a title in f2002!!!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 17:46 (Ref:313713)   #19
J.McClane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
Your grandma wouldn't stand a chance of winnin' the title, she would be told to move over for Shu. Or her pitstops would last just a few more seconds then her fellow Ferrari driver.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 17:53 (Ref:313724)   #20
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by J.McClane

Your grandma wouldn't stand a chance of winnin' the title, she would be told to move over for Shu. Or her pitstops would last just a few more seconds then her fellow Ferrari driver.

Yeah they have to wrap up the title early.... right.. ferarri's gonna float by July!!!! hehe
Old 14 Jun 2002, 17:59 (Ref:313730)   #21
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was obviously frustrated after Canada as its so obvious Schumi has won the title now.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 18:30 (Ref:313774)   #22
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Schumi always makes a lot of his luck. In Montreal, he knew when to put the hammer down. Schumi put something like 7 or 8 qualifying laps before the second pit stops while Juan seemed to be taking something of a mid-race "siesta". By the time Juan tried to catch Schumi, all the damage had been done. And no, I don't think Juan would have caught Michael, much less pass him.

Racecraft is a matter of brains, not balls, but Juan...well, Juan is Juan, isn't he...

Old 14 Jun 2002, 19:00 (Ref:313807)   #23
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't know reliability was a measure of race craft?! JPM has had terrible luck this year. Even the most adament schu fan has to admit that. If it was reversed then JPM's win would have been down played becasue schu's car broke down.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 20:15 (Ref:313861)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by RT

Racecraft is a matter of brains, not balls, but Juan...well, Juan is Juan, isn't he...

please elaborate? how come he's been in the position to win many times, but the car has let go? not once has he put the car into the wall when he has had a clear possibility to win, so obviously, he isn't lacking on the racecraft! unless you mean by racecraft, poodle round slowly, with no chance of getting points, but he'll still finish the race.........in 7th or lower!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 22:40 (Ref:313994)   #25
Gt_R
Veteran

"unless you mean by racecraft, poodle round slowly, with no chance of getting points, but he'll still finish the race........."

How about racecraft mean knowing when to go flat out, when to take care of your car, and finish often in the race still first, or at least on the podium?

While many of the reliability problems are not the fault of the drivers, there are some where a driver could do to not cause it... and such kinds of "problems" i'm sure JPM had quite a few.

Unlucky? I think JPM, tough luck as he might have, is one of the luckiest around. Have a pole-setting car, which is a possible race winner. Mark Webber would die to have that seat now!