Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Replacement for Bennett?
Rob Collard 7 20.00%
Peter Cate 7 20.00%
Chris Goodwin 2 5.71%
Vincent Radermecker 7 20.00%
Mark Blair 3 8.57%
Kurt Luby 5 14.29%
Paula Cook (unlikely but it would be fun) 1 2.86%
Other (Please state) 4 11.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jul 2002, 22:23 (Ref:347444)   #1
Erdosfreak
Rookie

Erdosfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Bennett Go?

I'm sorry to have to say but Bennett must be replaced before the end of the season. PLEASE PSP!!!

But who would be best suited? I think Rob Collard would do a fine job.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 22:28 (Ref:347446)   #2
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Bennett is doing a bad job. Its a new team, new car and this is only his second year. The car is steadily improving, Leslie has shown that. But, put on the spot, I'd like to see Radermecker back in the series.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 22:33 (Ref:347447)   #3
Erdosfreak
Rookie

i suppose he's doing ok i am just not a Bennett fan
Old 1 Aug 2002, 05:51 (Ref:347597)   #4
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
leave him be - he has done a good job in a car that has had more than it's fair share of teething troubles.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 09:50 (Ref:347743)   #5
Peugeot #1
Rookie

Peugeot #1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not Radermecker. He was a complete idiot! And he cost Reid at a shot of the 2000 title in the last race! Never want to see him back again!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 10:14 (Ref:347750)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just about all the guys on that list seem more talented than Bennett, and would probably cost less. My vote went to Rob Collard because, when the Renault is on track, he can work wonders with it.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 11:39 (Ref:347803)   #7
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its only the guys second year in the BTCC as well guys, and last year his car was the best and so coming down to a bit of a heap will take some adjusting! Give him a break, his car never works properly for longer than 10 minutes!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 16:18 (Ref:347928)   #8
Tim Harvey Fan
Racer

Tim Harvey Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is not Phil that needs to go, it's that stupid Proton! Hey PSP: stop ruining the careers of your drivers and give them a fast car or get the hell out!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 16:24 (Ref:347931)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The car is perfectly good, David Leslie has had no trouble getting onto the podium in it. In fact he has more than 3 times as many points as Bennett. This may be affected by the engine penalties, but judging by the way they've held the allowance engines over for Leslie, David Wong and co at PSP seem clear in their own minds as to who the lead driver is.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 16:47 (Ref:347951)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well the people who I've spoken to in the paddock all seem of the same or similar view... they can't all be wrong!

Get Cato in the car for next year... *that* would be *fun* Excellent suggestion!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 17:39 (Ref:347980)   #11
Erdosfreak
Rookie

The points taken away for engine changes is a ridiculous rule for the likes of Bennett he would have more than 10, is it 10??, They shouldnt deduct points at all or only the front runners atleast.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 18:03 (Ref:348010)   #12
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Erdosfreak
The points taken away for engine changes is a ridiculous rule for the likes of Bennett he would have more than 10, is it 10??, They shouldnt deduct points at all or only the front runners atleast.
They can't just have a rule for some people and not for others. The engine rule is intended as an incentive for manufacturers to keep costs down. It's the same for everybody, so whether everyone's blown 10 engines or 2 engines, the points gaps will still be the same.

It just means that they have to build a bit more reliability into their racing cars and, as reliability is an important factor when buying a road car, it means that the championship has an extra twist which enables car manufacturers to show off another advantage of their machines.

As for the Bennett factor, he has had considerably more problems this year than Leslie, has the team been experimenting new parts on his car before they're reliable and used on both?

Last edited by Paul Rayner; 1 Aug 2002 at 18:06.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 18:04 (Ref:348013)   #13
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Phil has lost 15 points - that's a hell of a lot.
Of course he is not going to be as good as Leslie - crikes he is half his age and has a quarter of the experience!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 20:17 (Ref:348116)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
"Of course he is not going to be as good as Leslie - crikes he is half his age and has a quarter of the experience!"

So by that logic, if Nigel Mansell or Alain Prost jumped back into an F1 car against Raikkonen or Montoya, they would wipe the floor with their younger rivals?????

Anyway the cars are completely different now- Bennett has a year's experience of the new cars when Leslie has none.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 20:38 (Ref:348127)   #15
Cosworth_RS
Racer

Cosworth_RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come back Radermecker, I take back everything I've said!!!

After some of the Muppets Ive seen driving in the series this year ie. the sump busters of Croft it shows how good a driver Vincent actually is.

Bennett wasn't that good even when he had an Astra, so he won races, like he had much competition, ballasted Astras and Pug 406's. Bennett should go!!!!! asap.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 21:18 (Ref:348153)   #16
Jimeth
Racer

Leslie only gets on the podium cos everyone else drops out. The only reason Bennett isn't doing any better is cos quite frankly the car is sh!te.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 22:56 (Ref:348215)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clearly Leslie is the favoured driver this year but I think that's only because he has had the least problems and the better results, Phil has gone way over his allocated engines but Proton still have an engine in hand for Leslie, ie David can use 5 engines without being penalised.

I don't know about the rest of you but Phil seems to get every problem under the sun, and he's never seemed to have a weekend without a problem, at Snetterton the car had a balance problem.

Second years are always tough, look at Jenson Button's 2nd year in F1..Phil has had to go from the best car on the grid to the Proton which obviously isn't as good.

I'm presuming this time next year people will be wanting rid of Paul O'Neill...
Old 2 Aug 2002, 10:20 (Ref:348497)   #18
Jimeth
Racer

well said
Old 2 Aug 2002, 13:24 (Ref:348685)   #19
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

100%VauxhallFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe that this thread has even been started! How some of you can say the things you're saying shows how arrogant you are!

Someone said something about Bennett having one years more experience in these cars than David - like hell that changes things! It doesn't matter how much experience a driver has in the new BTCC cars - it's how much experience they have since they have been racing. Phil hasn't had the easy and long careers that Muller, Plato, Thommo and such like have had. I think if some of you actually started to look into the drivers backgrounds you'd realise how short a time Phil has had racing. But no, instead you just go off results and want to dump the driver who doesn't get the results - how fickle of you all.

PSP are a new team to the BTCC, with a car that is only just begining to reach it's potentional. Yes, Leslie has had good results from it, but the car is far from the most consistant performer in the BTCC.

An interesting point for you, is that Phil was actually running ahead of Leslie in the sprint race at one point, until the car had problems. Likewise in the feature race, someone punted him off, as so often seems to be the case, which is why he wasn't leading the race.

From reading this thread, it just makes me realise who the real BTCC fans are - the ones who can see through the results, and realise that the drivers have the ability, just not the car to go with it. Shame on the rest of you people.

Last edited by 100%VauxhallFan; 2 Aug 2002 at 13:26.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 15:17 (Ref:348767)   #20
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I sort of agree with your point there 100%VauxhallFan.

Phil may have got into the series thanks to sponsorship, but he has proven a decent enough driver this year and last. Like last year, he seems to be the unlucky member of the team!!

Remember Leslie has 10-15 racing experience to call upon, wheras Bennett has had two seasons in club racing - one in Renault Spiders and one in the SuperCoupe Cup. Not a great pedigree, but I can't see anyone with the same amount of experience doing any better!
Old 2 Aug 2002, 19:36 (Ref:348949)   #21
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
hear hear.
You look at what Phil and Paul O'Neil have done is so short a time and I think they are brilliant.
What will they be like as drivers in 5 or 10 years time.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 21:47 (Ref:349039)   #22
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I think the main difference between Paul and Phil is that the former is widely liked within the paddock. Phil scored more victories for the team last year but the way he went about it was a little different to Paul. I presume that the same feelings have filtered down to the ticket buying public too and so you will get two very different views on him from different fans.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 21:51 (Ref:349042)   #23
Vatanen
Racer

Vatanen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
judging by the way they've held the allowance engines over for Leslie, David Wong and co at PSP seem clear in their own minds as to who the lead driver is.
That was made clear when Bennett was selected to drive the 2nd car. That Leslie was lead driver.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 21:58 (Ref:349045)   #24
Vatanen
Racer

Vatanen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
I think the main difference between Paul and Phil is that the former is widely liked within the paddock. Phil scored more victories for the team last year but the way he went about it was a little different to Paul. I presume that the same feelings have filtered down to the ticket buying public too and so you will get two very different views on him from different fans.
That's a bit harsh on Phil surely? He comes across as a genuine character and wears his heart on his sleeve. He might not be all laughs and jokes like PO'N is, but PB deserves his seat as much as anyone else.

Is there a feeling that he is disliked in the paddock? Judging by your comments.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 15:13 (Ref:349375)   #25
Erdosfreak
Rookie

I've had a re-think Keep Bennett in I'm still not a PB fan but he does deserve that seat.

Which reminds me what ever happended to that 3rd Proton??
Closed Thread