Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2002, 09:05 (Ref:347723)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Herta for Minardi?

just read this on www.autosport.com one of the stranger rumours of the year i think!

American Bryan Herta is said to be chasing a drive with Minardi for the final three grands prix of the season, which would include his home race at Indianapolis...
If Herta did race in the Italian, US and Japanese GPs, he would become the first American to compete in F1 since Michael Andretti drove for McLaren in 1993. Danny Sullivan was the last American to race in a US GP back in 1983 when he drove for Tyrrell.

Last edited by EERO; 1 Aug 2002 at 17:40.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 09:07 (Ref:347726)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would he be bringing any sponsorship cash to the team?

What happens if he tests and turns out to be slower than Yoong (not that I think that it's possible)?
Old 1 Aug 2002, 09:17 (Ref:347732)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Would he be bringing any sponsorship cash to the team?

Dunno about that f1man, i personally don't see Yoong being dropped by Minardi and being replaced by any driver as i can't see the Maylasian government sponsering them without a Maylasian in the car! Although another driver would get Maylasia more coverage by the very fact that the other driver will have actually qualified the car!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 10:17 (Ref:347751)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unfortunately, the list of drivers who aren't in F1 (or even F3000 or CART) who can do a better job than Alex Yoong would eb long enough to fill a whole tree, but we could really be stuck with him. He's probably Malaysia's best current driver, and Mr V is probably right that the sponsorship is dependant on the prescence of a Malaysian driver.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 10:48 (Ref:347765)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this isn't true. I like Bryan Herta well enough, but there is no way he's qualified for an F1 seat. More qualified than Yoong, sure, but I think my cat's more qualified than Yoong.

If Stoddart wants to give an American an F1 break, there are a trio of excellent F3 drivers who'd jump at the chance...
Old 1 Aug 2002, 10:53 (Ref:347766)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
O YES !!.

normally i like to see them give a bit of young talent a chance , but for Bryan i will make a exception . Herta is a great racer , and i would love to see what he could do with a back of the grid F1 team .

Sign him... sign him !
Old 1 Aug 2002, 10:57 (Ref:347769)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
blow up Indy then divert the GP to Laguna - then Brian will fly!! Minardis first GP victory ??
Old 1 Aug 2002, 11:21 (Ref:347780)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
There is the small matter of an F1 superlicence as well.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 11:31 (Ref:347793)   #9
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Yoong can get one...............
Old 1 Aug 2002, 11:51 (Ref:347810)   #10
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see him drive an F1 car !!I painted my helmet just like his helmet...he's a great racer and i like the idea of moving laguna seca to f1...
Old 1 Aug 2002, 12:26 (Ref:347842)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How difficult is it to get the superlicense if you have the license to drive top-level sportscars? What are FIA regs on that?

I would think that with his log book (CART, ALMS, Le Mans, Trans Am) it would be an administrative slam-dunk.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Aug 2002, 14:22 (Ref:347867)   #12
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this has some truth to it. Herta won't set the world on fire, but he's a good racer and he will be much faster than Yoong...
Old 1 Aug 2002, 14:26 (Ref:347870)   #13
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Herta's a nice chap and did pretty well in CART.
But honestly I can't see him doing a better job than Yoong.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 14:30 (Ref:347871)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
sounds interesting , and why not I say give the guy a shot see what he can do.

one thing about the article posted it states that Andretti was the last American in F1 which of course is true but then it says that Danny Sullivan was the last American to drive in an American Grand prix.

obviously have forgotten about Eddie Cheever driving for Arrows in 1989 at Pheonix then ??
Old 1 Aug 2002, 15:32 (Ref:347905)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be interesting....

I don't think the superlicense farce will mean anything... That's just a formality to give the appearance that you have to have some ability to drive in Formula One.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 1 Aug 2002, 15:43 (Ref:347910)   #16
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having raced in Cart, alongside those other credentials mentioned by paul-collins, Herta will of course face no problems in obtaining a superlicense.

Better than Alex Yoong? Definitely. If the GP had been at Laguna Seca, I'd be willing to place a bet on Herta outperforming Mark Webber. Can't see it happening on the three tracks he will drive (if this comes through) though... Based on the fact that Webber has almost a season's worth of experience with Minardi now.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 16:59 (Ref:347955)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He would not set the world on fire, but he would be quite equal to Webber. Herta's one hell of a road-course driver.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 17:43 (Ref:347983)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I won't deny that I find it an exciting prospect. I am suspiciouys about how readily he could get himself up to speed though.

Last edited by EERO; 1 Aug 2002 at 17:43.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 20:10 (Ref:348112)   #19
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Herta doesnt qualify for a superlicense. He'd have to get one like Kimi and Jenson did, and that'd be difficult given Minardi's lack of testing this season.

beyond that, I dont think he's qualified or deserving. Hell he's not even as good as Franchitti and his Jag test wasnt mind blowing
Old 1 Aug 2002, 21:32 (Ref:348158)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
Herta's a nice chap and did pretty well in CART.
But honestly I can't see him doing a better job than Yoong.
o come on , Herta is a race winner ! the guy has won races on a international stage !!!.......Yoong hasnt ever won a race since he done Formula ASIA in 1997 , and that isnt exactly a big top level series is it .

Herta may not be a future world champion but he deserves a lot better than to be classed with Yoong .
Old 1 Aug 2002, 21:35 (Ref:348159)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
I'd like to see Herta in F1 if just for the fact that his wife likes to have a good time..........

Last year, after the Rockinham race, a mate of mine (and member of this forum, won't say his name as i don't want to embarress him) was in the reception of the Northampton Hilton, about 7pm, when he came across Mr and Mrs Herta, i should i say Mrs Herta came across his bag that was on the floor! you see, Mrs Herta had had a few to drink and tripped over the bag, my mate, ever the gent tried to catch her and inadvertantly molested one of her boobs, Mrs Herta stemed off in a huff but Bryan came up and apologised! Wot a guy, apologising to a guy who'd just "felt his missus up!"

as i say...i don't want to embarress my mate, but i'll give you a clue...........

it was Sato San
Old 1 Aug 2002, 21:44 (Ref:348163)   #22
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
You bugger !!!!!!

I never said she had been drinking , she just may have been tired or something , but yes she did fall over my bag , and may i say in my defence ....that she stomped right over my bag and fell right on to me , so to stop myself from being taken out too , i tried to catch her to break her fall . It was a knee jerk reaction !...hehehe

But yes , Bryan did come over and apolige for any stuff she may have broken in my bag as she stomped over it .

nice guy was Bryan !

thanks Mr V for that one ......i owe you !!!

Last edited by Sato san; 1 Aug 2002 at 21:48.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 21:46 (Ref:348169)   #23
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but was she worth the gropeing? ;-)
Old 2 Aug 2002, 00:33 (Ref:348260)   #24
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Herta's not a bad driver - but as Lleyton Hewitt once said: "come on!" F1 bosses never touch guys from CART unless they have totally dominated - Villeneuve, Zanardi, Montoya, (possibly) da Matta. Herta was above average at best in CART and never really set the world on fire.

Herta won 2 (was it 2?) races at the only place where he seemed to be able to drive - the track he grew up on.

And for anyone who reckons Herta would beat Webber - wake up. Webber has shown this year that he is a top class driver. And F1 is a far superior performance machine than anything he's driven before. And the only thing close that he's driven is vastly different to an F1 car.

If Bryan came back to CART, it would probably take him the best part of a year to get up to speed, let alone in F1.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Herta get a chance, but I wouldn't burst into tears if it didn't come.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 01:39 (Ref:348283)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think a lot of guys here are fantasizing about how Herta could beat Mark. In fact, I do hope Herta does get into the Minardi because I'd like to compare him to Mark. IMHO, Mark would beat him in quals as well as the races. To add fuel to this fire, it might not be such a bad idea for Herta to get into F1 with Minardi for the rest of this year. If he impresses, he might hust get a seat with red Bull Arrows next year then.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 2 Aug 2002 at 01:42.