Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2002, 11:44 (Ref:348574)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Irish/Saudi bid for Minardi

The following article appears on Reuters news services this morning:

10:57 02Aug2002 RTRS-Motor racing-Irish-Saudi bid to take over cash-strapped Minardi

LONDON, England, August 2 (Reuters) - Irish businessman Brendan McGuinness said on Friday that he and a consortium led by Saudi Prince Al-Waleed are in talks to purchase the cash-strapped Minardi team.
McGuinness, who is now based in Saudi Arabia, is brokering a deal which would see the consortium purchase the team from current owner Paul Stoddart and insists he has the budget to do so.
"The negotiations are ongoing and hopefully we will reach a conclusion in the very near future rather than the distant future," said McGuinness. "We have a budget to take Minardi further."
Stoddart saved the team from likely bankruptcy last year and set himself a five-year plan to move them up from the back of the grid.
In the middle of this season, however, he hit financial problems and was only able to continue after securing the television funding owed to the now defunct Prost Grand Prix to ensure the team's survival.
He now has a budget to complete the final five races of the season this year, but must find a backer or investor to continue next year.
Stoddart confirmed: "We are in discussions with a number of parties concerning investment in the team and Brian McGuinness is one of that number."
McGuinness, who was involved with Al-Waleed in a failed Prost take-over last year, insisted any investment from the consortium would end Stoddart's time in Formula One.
"It would be a total take-over," McGuinness said. "I have a lot of respect for Paul and to be honest he probably doesn't want to stay on anyway.
"The discussions have not come to that stage yet, but if we do anything it will have to be a full take-over."
Al-Waleed controls worldwide banking and leisure corporations and is also head of the Saudi Kingdom Agricultural Development Company, while McGuinness is one of Saudi Arabia's largest car importers.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 12:57 (Ref:348654)   #2
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be kind of sad to see PS go... He certainly brought some fire and determination to Minardi, and always a fighting spirit...
Old 2 Aug 2002, 13:02 (Ref:348660)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Somehow, I seem to be losing interest in Minardi for the first time ever. I don't know why. It just doesn't look good for Paul to be trumped like that, but maybe I'm just over sentimental. McGuiness's involvement in the Phart Phiasco just makes me really suspicious. Maybe Tom Walkinshaw will have himself another team next year.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 2 Aug 2002, 14:28 (Ref:348743)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Minardi's image is becoming murkier by the day. First they were just a bunch of enthusiasts run by an Italian who purely loved motorsport. Then we have an Aussies take over who loves motorsport, but who does a bit too much complaining, and now this. What next????
Old 2 Aug 2002, 14:34 (Ref:348744)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe it will end with Alain Prost buying them
Old 2 Aug 2002, 16:26 (Ref:348813)   #6
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Saudis have a lot of money - maybe they dont really deserve it - but they do have it. If their cash can help a team stay afloat, then I guess thats the way to go.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 16:53 (Ref:348829)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Minardi's image is becoming murkier by the day. First they were just a bunch of enthusiasts run by an Italian who purely loved motorsport. Then we have an Aussies take over who loves motorsport, but who does a bit too much complaining, and now this. What next????
I have to regrettably agree... The spirit of Minardi is swiftly being lost in all the business deals and backstage goings-on... The Alex Yoong saga is also doing nothing to help...
Old 2 Aug 2002, 19:38 (Ref:348951)   #8
Sea Green
Rookie

Sea Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prince Al-Waleed can definetly afford it. I wonder if this means a Saudi Grand Prix in the future...
Old 3 Aug 2002, 04:19 (Ref:349168)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Well, the Bedouins love anything that moves on wheels. As for a GP, I am sure if they wanted to build a track, there are places where this is suitable, especially in the mountainous areas around Taif. There is only one problem: as far as I know, Saudi Arabia is not open to tourists. However, that would not stop them from building a track in Dubai, or Bahrein, or Qatar.

Valve
Old 3 Aug 2002, 09:07 (Ref:349216)   #10
The Accomplice
Rookie

The Accomplice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
McGuiness's involvement in the Phart Phiasco just makes me really suspicious.
What part did McGuiness play in the Phoenix episode valve bounce?
Old 4 Aug 2002, 17:52 (Ref:349904)   #11
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still backing Stoddart. He has the drive and the passion required. The only reason why he moans/gets involved in the money side of stuff too much is that, particullarly since Sept 11th, there has been a worldwide economic downturn and only the big companies, the ones that want to back winners, can afford the extravagance of sponsoring a Formula 1 team. Stoddart was whinging over that money because he needed it for the team to survive. If that's what it takes, moan on...
Old 5 Aug 2002, 02:20 (Ref:350146)   #12
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
I have to regrettably agree... The spirit of Minardi is swiftly being lost in all the business deals and backstage goings-on... The Alex Yoong saga is also doing nothing to help...
The team is still Italian. They are just owned by an Australian and sponsored by Malaysians.

Unfortunately, spirit counts for squat these days.

Also, if not for the Alex Yoong saga, we probably would not have Minardi around today. And Webber probably wouldn't have an F1 drive.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 08:34 (Ref:350242)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently there is also a British/European led bid for the team as well, which would keep the team more or less as is, with PS running the show.

Under the Saudi bid, McGuiness would run the team, what his motor racing experience is , I'm not sure.

Whatever, Asiatech don't seem to be mentioned as a bidder these days.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 12:28 (Ref:350391)   #14
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McGuiness has nothing to do with the Pheonix/Dart group.

He tried to but the Prost team for Prince Al-Waleed last year, before Prost went into recievership.

Apparently Prost didn't want to sell to the him.

This story has been doing the rounds for months now.

It was in F1 magazine at the a few weeks back.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 03:51 (Ref:350990)   #15
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is McGuiness the stout you have with a hamburger?

Stoddart is a realist and won't continue throwing good money after bad. I'm sure he'd prefer a 'backer' or 'partner' rather than sell outright, but at the end of the day if he's losing the fortune he took years to make, he'd be silly not to sell.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 04:06 (Ref:350992)   #16
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have read the article in the F1magazine and it painted McGuiness in a good light. Prince Al-Waleed wanted in to F1 racing and looked at McLaren but wanted to help a smaller team (he could have a bigger impact with his money) They advance Prost 10 million so he could continue racing at Imola.

Prost did the dirty on him and kept on trying to sell the team to other people so they pulled out and Prost killed his team.

PS has done a great job for Minardi and wants his team to advance up the grid. To do that now (thanks to 9/11/2001) he has to sell his team. I respect PS as he has the grace to give up on his dream of racing in F1 to allow his team to grow.

Also remember that PS has sold has sold his F3000 team for cheap to save his employees jobs.

If the Saudi team gets going then they will have good sponsors through the princes conections (they had the budget to keep prost going -but Prost was a liability)

anyway this is all good news as Minardi will be racing next year.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 07:15 (Ref:351031)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Maybe we will see Stoddard back racing in the BOSS Formula with his collection of Tyrrels in that case. It would be good to see them out on the track once again as they used to be before he bought Minardi.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 07:44 (Ref:351043)   #18
billyblister
Racer

billyblister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
McGuiness would run the team, what his motor racing experience is , I'm not sure
Flav did have any experience when he started and he's still here

Is their any chance they would change the name of the team???
Old 6 Aug 2002, 12:59 (Ref:351244)   #19
MiniMe
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Maybe we will see Stoddard back racing in the BOSS Formula with his collection of Tyrrels in that case. It would be good to see them out on the track once again as they used to be before he bought Minardi.
Stoddart sold his Tyrells at auction last month
Old 6 Aug 2002, 13:12 (Ref:351256)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Bugger! Will the new owners be running them again do you know?
Old 6 Aug 2002, 15:39 (Ref:351369)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by MiniMe
Is McGuiness the stout you have with a hamburger?

No MiniMe.............thats Tomato sauce hehehe!
Old 6 Aug 2002, 20:12 (Ref:351630)   #22
MiniMe
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Bugger! Will the new owners be running them again do you know?
I hope so, they will probably get wheeled out for veteran days, exhibitions etc
I hope it wasn't a sign that Stoddy was short of play money
Old 6 Aug 2002, 23:20 (Ref:351816)   #23
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MiniMe
Stoddart sold his Tyrells at auction last month
And we all thouoght PS was so clever. He should have sold this years Minardis and raced the Tyrells in their place. Maybe Yoong would be able to get into the 107% bracket!!!
Old 7 Aug 2002, 02:21 (Ref:351886)   #24
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mr Webber seems to be doing alright in them.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 03:08 (Ref:351916)   #25
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Saudi sheik?!!! Minardi?!!! I guess we gonna see the first grid-girls wrapped in veils holding Minardi’s umbrellas!!!
And the drivers who even dare to look beneath the veil will be beheaded!!!