Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Aug 2002, 08:27 (Ref:368867)   #1
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
TVRfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
european sportscar championship

the latest round of the fia sportscar championship, won by Racing for Holland, at Dijon had 13 starters and nine finishers. Not exactly a great turnout. with grid sizes threatened to get even smaller something must be done. but what, is something like the alms the way to go? what does evryone think?
Old 30 Aug 2002, 11:59 (Ref:369010)   #2
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes if it works, if i remember correctly the idea behind the ALMS was to have a series for Le Mans competitors / teams to race their cars all year round and not just in June.

But what will the FIA say about things, as they do want control (technical and other wise) of any motorsport to make sure F1 is still number one!
Old 30 Aug 2002, 17:31 (Ref:369299)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are not enough prototypes for a full prototype only series in Europe at the moment.

What should happen in my opinion is to hav 2 or 3 ALMS/ELMS rounds of big races. Hopefully they can be independant and attract FIA GT/SCC and ALMS teams as PLM/LM and Sebring do currently.

There is going to be 1 European ALMS round in 2003 and 2 in 2004.

What would you sooner have, 8 or 9 low profile races such as those in the FIA SCC or 2 or 3 big races such as PLM and Sebring in Europe.

Don't forget theres still FIA GTs to watch season long which is improving every year.

As for the FIA they have no control over the ALMS/ELMS. Unlike in the past all the FIA are concerned with now is ensuring F1 and the WRC are succesful. This is why they allow interested parties such as Stephan Ratel almost total control over FIA GTs.

Last edited by JAG; 30 Aug 2002 at 17:34.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 20:19 (Ref:369439)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I personal think what they need is a World Sports Car Championship - which runs under the ACO rule and if this series was to start up it would do away with the ALMS/FIA GT/SCC championships.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 20:22 (Ref:369442)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THe FIA SCC is pretty pants compared to the ALMS.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 20:45 (Ref:369457)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I personal think what they need is a World Sports Car Championship - which runs under the ACO rule and if this series was to start up it would do away with the ALMS/FIA GT/SCC championships.
Remember when there was the FIA WSC there was stil the IMSA GTP series, the equivalent of the current ALMS.

I don't think there will ever be a World Sports Car Series again, but an ALMS in the US and some 2 or 3 'Invitational' ELMS races in Europe similar to Le Mans. Plus the FIA GT series.

With the same ACO rules you could have a Grand Slam type event with Sebring, PLM, Silverstone, Nurburgring or such like. Add in Le Mans and theres enough high profile races for everyone to see.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 23:01 (Ref:369555)   #7
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the FIA GT and FIA SCC should combine to form one series. Then there is a series to rival the ALMS now the ELMS is gone and neither series has to worry about grid sizes.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 23:05 (Ref:369559)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by pink69
I think the FIA GT and FIA SCC should combine to form one series. Then there is a series to rival the ALMS now the ELMS is gone and neither series has to worry about grid sizes.
In an ideal world, but FIA gTs have big, high quality grids so why should they turn away curent teams in order to accept FIA SCC teams.

I think theres a difference between what people would like to see and what will happen.

Seeing as FIA GTs are strong and the FIA SCC is likely to finish, this should open the door for proposed ALMS Europe races to be a success.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 10:28 (Ref:369739)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA GT series is doing just fine, without having the big, heavy FIA SCC cars getting in the way of good racing.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 12:26 (Ref:369790)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I think adding a few invitational races in Europe and worldwide to enhance the appeal of ALMS is a great idea, My suggestions would be:
1)Spa
2)Monza
3)Silverstone
4)Suzuka
5)Bathurst
6)Kyalami
7)Interlagos
If only the FIA would than sanction it alongside the ACO the sportscar could really be rolling.
I'll have to dream on I guess

Last edited by Mal; 31 Aug 2002 at 12:27.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 22:27 (Ref:370153)   #11
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mal

You have the start of a good series, add Daytona and Sebring. Knock out Silverstone but add Donnington.

What about Mosport or Watkins Glen ? Also something in Germany. All to ACO regs, hopefully the same as ALM regs. If the Brit, German and Spanish regs could be close enough we could see some real racing. With F! dissappearing up it's own backside a real contender, maybe even Ferrari factory 360's.

Simon
Old 31 Aug 2002, 22:31 (Ref:370156)   #12
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the ALMS has grids of about 40 per race doesn't it. There are about 30 in the FIA and with just 13 in the SCC would it be too hard to incorporate the 2?
Old 1 Sep 2002, 08:08 (Ref:370286)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
Mal

You have the start of a good series, add Daytona and Sebring. Knock out Silverstone but add Donnington.

What about Mosport or Watkins Glen ? Also something in Germany. All to ACO regs, hopefully the same as ALM regs. If the Brit, German and Spanish regs could be close enough we could see some real racing. With F! dissappearing up it's own backside a real contender, maybe even Ferrari factory 360's.

Simon

OK SL, sounds darned good to me. If you and Mal get it set up, I'll come and watch.......

Old 2 Sep 2002, 08:46 (Ref:371043)   #14
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Absolutely, and surely this is the right time to do it. Lets face it, even hardened F1 fans are getting bored with that excuse for a once great sport. Exciting cars, human drivers (not robots), great circuits; surely someone in a position of power somewhere can see the huge potential of sportscars to reach the heights of the 80s again.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 13:05 (Ref:371235)   #15
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No matter what they do, they have to keep the costs down, the competition close, and most of all entertaining.

A series that appeals to everyone, the fans, the drivers and the sponsors.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 14:30 (Ref:371291)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
OK SL, sounds darned good to me. If you and Mal get it set up, I'll come and watch.......
I'm up for it - but how do we get started?