NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good News and Bad News

Lets start off with the bad news:

Quote:
Yoong back for Monza

Stoddart confirms that Malaysian will return

Alex Yoong will drive for Minardi at the next grand prix at Monza according to team boss Paul Stoddart.

The Malaysian has been rested for the past two races but despite his replacement Anthony Davidson qualifying impressively on both occasions, Yoong will be back in cockpit for the Italian Grand Prix.

"The contract with Anthony was only ever for two races and we will have Alex Yoong back in the car at Monza," he said.

"Anthony has shown in his time with us that he deserves a place in Formula 1 and it would surprise me to see him on the grid next year either with us or maybe another team."
and now for the good news (pay attention everyone, especially one mr Rennen.)

Quote:
"We have already spoken to him" - Ove Andersson

Davidson, who will revert to his role as a BAR test driver after Sunday's race, has been linked Toyota.

"We have already spoken to him," Toyota team boss Ove Andersson told the Daily Mirror. "He looks very good. We believe (Panis) will give us a valuable input. The other driver should be someone who is young with potential and enthusiasm and Davidson certainly comes into that category."
(stolen from autosport.com)

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 31 Aug 2002 at 23:09.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 23:41 (Ref:370187)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, so far Toyota has Panis in car #1, while Mark Webber, Anthony Davidson and Jos Verstappen will fight to the death in gladiatorial combat for the #2 seat...
Old 1 Sep 2002, 00:27 (Ref:370208)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Fingers crossed for the Mighty Ant today. He must keep the car on the black stuff, and drive smoothly, and maybe pick of one of the stragglers. It's a pity that his team partner is Webber and not Yoong today. Good Luck, Mighty Ant!! As Kirk Douglas says: "Into the Lion's Den"

Valve
Old 1 Sep 2002, 02:22 (Ref:370225)   #4
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hmmmmm. If Toyota take David, that's 2 drivers from BAR. Are they looking for more that just pilots? Of course BAR isn't exactly lightyears ahead of Toyota. Maybe just a coincedence?
Old 1 Sep 2002, 02:34 (Ref:370230)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was just thinking they are trying to take people who knows about the Honda engine... But looking at the way things work this season...i don't really think they should be bothered...

Toyota made a good choice in Panis. Despite the age...Panis is afterall well known for his abilities to work with the car's developement...and he shows he still has the speed. His experience in a top team like Mclaren would help too. A great choice to bring the team forward.

A young driver would give Toyota somebody to develope for the future...bringing the youth to the team which not only helps the working of the team..but attract young buyers.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 07:56 (Ref:370280)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hope its true , but why would Toyota be interested in Ant ?...he's contracted to BAR HONDA for the next few years isnt he ?
Old 1 Sep 2002, 08:12 (Ref:370290)   #7
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Well Ant does seem to fit the profile of the second Toyota-driver extremely well. Maybe Pizzonia fits it even better.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 09:49 (Ref:370324)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I have just read on F1-Live and Paul Stoddart seems quietly impressed with Ant, and appears to be fairly interested in Ant for next year. However, Yoong returns for Monza.
Now, I don't want to put the hoodoo on poor Yoong, but wotif, just wotif Yoong fails to qualify for Monza? Any thoughts? :confused:

Valve
Old 1 Sep 2002, 10:01 (Ref:370333)   #9
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Minardi is simply contractual tied to let Yoong race. I don't think they can replace him a second time. Definatly not when Yoong is the official first driver, those you can replace only once according to FIA-rules. Allthough one could argue that Yoong was only replaced temorarily for his own benefit (with some imagination you could see the analogy with the Schumacher/Salo-situation in 1999) so Davidson doesn't really count as a replacement within the FIA-meaning of the word.

Yoong and Minardi need to sit out their contracts, after that Yoong needs to go elsewhere and Minardi needs to chat up with RedBull.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 10:21 (Ref:370342)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I think that there is a performance clause in Yoong's contract. I think he already failed to meet this when he didn't qualify the second time, but Paul gave him a chance. The last time he failed to qualify was the third. If Yoong fails to qualify again, I cannot see Paul keeping him in the second driver's seat. However, the replacement may not be Ant, as the latter has testing duties at BAR.

Valve
Old 1 Sep 2002, 14:36 (Ref:370478)   #11
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Word is from TSN is that Villeneuve may be farmed out by BAR to race for Toyota next year (BAR may pay upwards of 10 million of his contract for 2003). Apparently he will be offered a contract in writting to go to CART for one year , he will reject this immediately, and possibly go to Toyota instead. Apparently we may know by the end of the racing year (susuka) if this is reality. Apparently Bernie Eccelstone (the one who brought Villeneuve to Williams in 1996) is trying to make this happen to stir up the pot in F1. Also JV is not feeling welcome at BAR anymore and would welcome moving to a new team especially Toyota seeing as how they're the 2nd largest car manufacturer in the world and have many resources.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 14:42 (Ref:370487)   #12
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blokey on ITV today (forget his name - the commentator who is an oaf) reckoned that there was rumour of Herta driving for Minardi at Indianapolis. Ooo-errr missus..
Old 1 Sep 2002, 14:50 (Ref:370500)   #13
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anthony did'nt do himself a favour by going off again this race.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 19:47 (Ref:370680)   #14
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Toyota wants a young driver next to Panis, a lot of young drivers are on the list now.

* Felipe Massa
* Antonio Pizzonia
* Anthony Davidson
* Mark Webber

Who's next? Justin Wilson? Sebastien Bourdais? Jacques Villeneuve's isn't that young. And if he goes, than we have Panis and Villeneuve both going from BAR to Toyota, I don't see than happen.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 19:51 (Ref:370687)   #15
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good though Davidson is, I'd rather see Justin Wilson at Minardi next year (they seem to be the only team willing to build a bigger cockpit for him) so in that respect, I hope Ant can get a drive elsewhere, although not at Webber's expense.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 20:01 (Ref:370694)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if Yoong were to DNQ for Monza, that would be the death of him in F1. Stoddy would try to get out of this contract that is making him race. and i think Herta would be a good choice for the seat, i dont think he would spin off twice while having a pressure-free race at the back anyway...
Old 1 Sep 2002, 20:05 (Ref:370696)   #17
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS, Belgium -- Malaysia's Alex Yoong will lose his Minardi Formula One drive at the end of the season, team boss Paul Stoddart said.
But he added that the 26-year-old, who last year became his country's first Grand Prix driver, would continue to have a role with the team.

"Alex will be involved with us next year, he won't be racing but he will be involved with the team next year," Stoddart said at the Belgian Grand Prix. "He could be test driving.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 22:28 (Ref:370822)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
To make an impression in front of all the F1 teams, Ant had to keep it on the black stuff. Trying to keep up with Sato and running off will cause severe memory loss with most of the teams. Great pity that.

Valve
Old 2 Sep 2002, 10:10 (Ref:371077)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I think that there is a performance clause in Yoong's contract. I think he already failed to meet this when he didn't qualify the second time, but Paul gave him a chance. The last time he failed to qualify was the third. If Yoong fails to qualify again, I cannot see Paul keeping him in the second driver's seat. However, the replacement may not be Ant, as the latter has testing duties at BAR.

Valve
Good point VB, with the Ferrari's getting quicker and quicker it looks like Alex may struggle to qualify yet again. Monza is a fairly daunting circuit for au under confident driver - a DNQ for Yoong in a couple of weeks?
Old 2 Sep 2002, 12:17 (Ref:371189)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cristiano is out of the running, apparently they only offered him a testing role and he's not at all interested in leaving racing to become invisible.

I would expect Toyota to keep Salo before hiring Jacques. Jacques is not a development driver and never has been, and he is very outspoken about the problems of the car, which is not the image they need. But perhaps if BAT pays his entire bloated salary, just to get him off the BAR lot (Richards clearly doesn't want him), they'd make a one year deal and take care of Jacques' last year in F1.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 12:33 (Ref:371204)   #21
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

I would expect Toyota to keep Salo before hiring Jacques. Jacques is not a development driver and never has been, and he is very outspoken about the problems of the car, which is not the image they need. But perhaps if BAT pays his entire bloated salary, just to get him off the BAR lot (Richards clearly doesn't want him), they'd make a one year deal and take care of Jacques' last year in F1.
Good point Liz, after all JV had an entire team built around him (a la Schumacher), and it's fair to say he needs to take his share of the blame for the team producing a consistently poor car.

Driving the wheel's off something is great to watch - but doesn't always make progress with the car if you drive around problems instead of analysing and solving them.

In anycase JV has been fairly matched by Panis, can't see any point in re-creating the BAR 'dream team' at Toyota.

Pizzonia, Massa or Webber would be better choices.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 12:42 (Ref:371215)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think HONDA will let Jacques go. They already lost Panis, who will increase TOYOTA's development with his experience. Davidson and Massa, or Webber are better choices...