Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:20 (Ref:380761)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BBC's coverage

two words: absolutly pathetic! 25mins if a two and a half hour race? and (no disrecpect to them) but Johnny and Charlie werent very well informed, were they? thank god for Sky...
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:24 (Ref:380770)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree, there was meant to 1hr 10 according to the Radio Times, If they do show the race next year they should try and show it Live...........
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:36 (Ref:380783)   #3
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: BBC's coverage

Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
two words: absolutly pathetic! 25mins if a two and a half hour race? and (no disrecpect to them) but Johnny and Charlie werent very well informed, were they? thank god for Sky...
Do you know something I don't??? When are Sky supposed to be showing it???
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:38 (Ref:380789)   #4
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky showed it yesterday at about 5pm and 11pm.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:41 (Ref:380792)   #5
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Typical of SKY !!!! My TV guide didn't have any mention of it so I didn't set the vcr!!!! Don't suppose anyone taped it???? :-)
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:53 (Ref:380807)   #6
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coverage was really bad, it was so disjointed that you never knew what was happening. One second Manning was leading, then a minute later he was nowhere. With no comments on why, also hy was Fernandez throwing his toys out the pram, I only found out by looking at cart.com.

Race deserved better.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:55 (Ref:380809)   #7
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
what about the small matter of two cars in the wall?????
Old 15 Sep 2002, 17:00 (Ref:380816)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
Typical of SKY !!!! My TV guide didn't have any mention of it so I didn't set the vcr!!!! Don't suppose anyone taped it???? :-)
dont worry, if it isnt repeted within the next couple of days on Sky Sports, it will be repeted on Eurosport and Motors TV next week at the lastest.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 15 Sep 2002 at 17:01.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 17:12 (Ref:380822)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Absolute rubbish. herbert didn't seem to know any of the technical or strategic details, and got the names wrong several times in the pathetic 25 minutes allocated- Michael Carpentier and Paul Green were 2 that I heard, he said Christian Da Matta several times, and even DARRYL Manning for the guy he'd been working with for the last 2 minutes.

What happened at Franchitti's first pit stop? Why was Adrian so angry? How did Kanaan go out? Tags? Christian? How did Dixon and Andretti lose those laps? I don't know from watching that. Farcical.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 17:55 (Ref:380839)   #10
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst coverage of a motor race I've ever seen. Thank goodness the BBC no longer cover the Grands Prix. Johhny Herbert must be the worst comentator of all time. Can someone teach him to speak English? (weepin', suckin', Rockinum etc.)This could do further damage to Rockingham itself.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 18:28 (Ref:380860)   #11
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't watched BBC's coverage yet, but I did video it so I can shout at the screen later. I never expect anything from the hideously politically-biased and political-correctness-obsessed BBC, a truly repulsive corporation in my opinion. Witness the ethnic cleansing of certain genres of music (well, most) from Radio 1.

Not that that's anything to do with racing... But why the hell do they use Charlie Cox as a commentator? Some guy who used to race touring cars (all I remember is his big Thruxton roll), what does he know about single-seaters? I'm glad the BBC don't show any motorsport any more, they truly suck. And I fast lose respect for drivers when I hear them being ignorant of their peers. To get drivers names wrong is pathetic. If I was a racing driver, I would keep an eye on my rivals' achievements and careers, certainly those at this level where Johnny has aspirations to compete!
Old 15 Sep 2002, 18:56 (Ref:380878)   #12
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC coverage of the event was utter rubbish... Little wonder that they have lost virtually all decent sports events to other channels...

One of major sporting events of the year in this country, and they managed to make a complete monkey's breakfast of it...

I mean, even darts has more coverage.... Darts!! Oh for....
Old 15 Sep 2002, 19:56 (Ref:380914)   #13
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh glad i found a place to complain. i'm just glad i tuned in early and just caught it, without blinking! Charlie cox used to be good with the touring cars, but i can understand it as you have to commentate on one race in a series most people havent watched, its gonna be a bit disjointed.
And i thought they were joking whern they kept flashing up there stupid phone vote thing and what what was coming up which said the race coverage was gonna last about 15 mins.
Another thing did anyone else think that it looked like the F1 race had more overtaking in it than the CART race.Didnt see any overtaking.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 20:13 (Ref:380930)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't agree more. They didn't tell the story of the race, why anyone was where they were, any of the incidents (crashes, dodgy pitstops, penalties) and made a great event look really boring. The only good thing about it was I was on a lot (inside turn 3) but that's only good for me, bad news for the rest of you!

If you missed it and were put off by the coverage, you have to go, and if you go on practice day, paddock entry is free. See the attached picture for what you could have seen and compare with F1
Attached Thumbnails
dario.jpg  
Old 16 Sep 2002, 13:03 (Ref:381523)   #15
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spanner
Another thing did anyone else think that it looked like the F1 race had more overtaking in it than the CART race.Didnt see any overtaking.
Didn't see any overtaking (though Manning kept moving up through the field), didn't see any racing, didn't see muach at all
Old 17 Sep 2002, 11:56 (Ref:382397)   #16
Peter B

Words fail me. I could not believe how bad it was.

If I went to a zoo, took a monkey and give it a tape of the race and left it to muck about it would have come up with a better sequence of "highlights".

The coverage Channel 5 used to show was a bit dodgy on occasion jumping dozens of laps without warning, but this....

The most amusing bit of all to me was Dario making a pit stop. No sooner had Dario left the pit box he was entering it again (they'd jumped 30 or 40 or however many laps)

And as far Charlie Cox trying to point out the differences between a CART and F1 car... sheesh "hey, this ones painted red and this one ain't". My mum could have done better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the CART car used in the comparison Bryan Hertas old motor from 3 or 4 seasons back?

Old 17 Sep 2002, 22:01 (Ref:382860)   #17
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the race live on French satellite channel ABmoteurs, yes it had french commentary but I was able to follow the race with the ticker.

They take the feed from the host broadcaster, so I saw the whole of the BBC coverage, and yes - it was terrible! probably the worst I have seen from them.

Add to that the fact I have to tune to a french channel to watch what I consider to be the UK's premier sporting event, and you can imagine how ****ed off I was Saturday afternoon.

I believe that the "no Live TV Coverage" in the UK is a marketing exercise by Rockingham and CART, "If you can't watch it live on TV you'll pay to go and watch it live", well sorry CART, I've been an ardent fan for many years but am getting a little ****ed very quickly with this.

</rant at cart over>
Old 17 Sep 2002, 22:17 (Ref:382874)   #18
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian-S

I believe that the "no Live TV Coverage" in the UK is a marketing exercise by Rockingham and CART, "If you can't watch it live on TV you'll pay to go and watch it live", well sorry CART, I've been an ardent fan for many years but am getting a little ****ed very quickly with this.

</rant at cart over> [/B]
That is standard CART TV deal policy, and applies to all races both inside North America and abroad. It is a business move aimed to put bums on seats. (English Premier Football matches do the same I believe)

I must admit I had a good view, Post1a, (thats inside exit of turn 1 if you are not familiar with oval post numbering) and with CART Control in one ear heard the whole race details as it happened.

My Mum, bless her videoed the race for me, and being something of a fan herself started watching at the piblished time. |She was quite upset that it had already started and was even more miffed when she coulfd not follow any of it. She did see me on telly though!