Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 4 Jul 2000, 14:57 (Ref:21374)   #1
teamdbr
Rookie

teamdbr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys and gals,

I've been around this forum for some time now and I have followed the many long discussions about Castle Combe. What is it about this place that gets people's hearts pumping? Is it the place or the meetings? I have Zandvoort just around the corner which is my weekend hangout, but can someone explain me that Combe feeling?

By the way, continue the discussion about Combe. Although I've never been there, the next time I hit your side of the North Sea I'll be sure to check it out.
Old 4 Jul 2000, 15:03 (Ref:21377)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm in Den Haag 15 16 July. Anything happening at Zandvoort that weekend? Also the North Sea Jazz Fest is on. Could be a reasonable weekend.;0
Old 4 Jul 2000, 17:33 (Ref:21420)   #3
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there TEAMDBR, thanks for hanging around in here, and for putting up with our constant ramblings about Combe
Castle Combe means so much to me because, like you with Zandvoort, I live nearby Combe and it is easy for me to get to.
It was the place where I went to my first every race meeting and a place where I will continue to go to.
The main problem with Combe is that the circuit can not attract the big meetings, btcc etc because of the lack of a proper paddock/pit lane. The sad thing is that this is due to local people being against the circuit being there at all. Which is odd because the track has been there for 50 years, and lets face it, you don't move near a race track if you object to noise!
There is a very good atmosphere to Combe, which is one thing that attracts me so much, I have many friends that I see at all meetings, and it is nice that it is all so friendly etc.
Plus, it is a good fast track, with great spectating. As I am sure most people who have been there will back me up on?

So that is my view on Combe, Dan, Graham, anyone? Your views please.
Old 4 Jul 2000, 18:51 (Ref:21441)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be able to see what it is like at Zandvoort if you let us enter for MM under your name. Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaassseeeee will you??Ive always wanted to go to amsterdam
hhahahahaha
Old 4 Jul 2000, 19:38 (Ref:21471)   #5
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Like Lee I've been attending Castle Combe for a while now - it's my nearest circuit and I love it. My first ever race event was the Minis at Thruxton in about 1990-91, my second was Tuscans at Combe and I've been hooked ever since.

The atmosphere is like no other circuit I've been to - I put this down to the competitors of the three Combe championships meeting up regularly and becoming friends, and the large south-western area of England that is not served by any other local circuit. The resident championships themselves are a good mixture - you've got fast and furious slightly-modified saloons that can be run with normal pockets, older FFords for people who just want to race or those who see it as valuable experience and a stepping stone, and you have the Special GTs full of weird and wonderful (and fast!) sports racing cars.

What other circuit is used by a bloke like Bob Light to develop and race his B6 Sport beast, a car that's supposed to beat a McLaren F1?

There are always larger crowds at Combe events than other similar events at other circuits, and many have been coming to Combe for a long time. I'd say many are enthusiasts rather than family day-trippers and they're just as happy to cheer on the backmarkers as the blokes out front.

We also have commentators who both know their sport, and are passionate about it and the circuit. To get good banter, a commentator needs to have experienced some things at the track - not read about it in his pre-commentary research.

It's the best circuit for photography that I can visit regularly - no catch fencing, you see, and you stand about 12 yards from the track. You're near the cars as they hurtle around and you feel like you're a participant in this sport, not just a paying punter.

Being a small circuit in stature, as Lee says, it doesn't attract or can cater for the big series. I think this is a blessing, although I'm sure the circuit would disagree. Having a small grass paddock means bigger teams can't put up those huge awnings on the side of their truck and are thus forced to meet the race fans - I'm sure that's scary for them! Because they can't hide, fans can approach them for a chat or take a look at the car close-up.
The drivers are usually hanging around in the paddock, chatting away, rather than sitting in some motorhome.

And that's what so good about Combe

As for local people not liking the circuit, it must surely be a huge boost to the local economy as the circuit needs staff, maintenance, catering, etc. I bet they'd complain if the circuit closed.
Old 5 Jul 2000, 07:36 (Ref:21540)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe...

Not the best circuit in the country - Cadwell or Brands GP are much more spectacular.

But as Lee and Graham say, the atmosphere is fantastic and the people seem all pretty friendly to me. It's good marshalling there, because you know most people and trust them as well. The circuit layout means close racing, and provides top quality entertainment.

Thank god no big series, that's not whats Combe's about. They can get 15,000 people to come along and watch a small, well run clubbie - so why need the hassle of BTCC / Powertour?? It's bad enough having the Eurocars every year....

As for local economy - they reckon its worth 15 million pounds a year to the local area...
Old 5 Jul 2000, 16:54 (Ref:21631)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
having never been to the Uk i have no idea what this obsession with Combe is all about..but all your posts above make for good reading..in fact Ive only ever seen 1 corner there..i believe it is camp corner..which features quite a bit in some crash video's i have seen..anyway if i ever get to the Uk ..i will have to go to a meeting there to see what all the fuss is about