Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Sep 2002, 22:14 (Ref:386175)   #1
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya/Ralf supporters must say something !!!

If Montoya/Ralf is in a position where can take the fight against Rubens, and Montoya/Ralf teammate is behind them...

Do you think Montoya/Ralf should:

a) Take the challenge to overtake or break the engine fighting against Rubens (looking for 2nd on WDC) ?

or

b) Mantain his position to get more points than his Williams teammate ?

PS: Assuming Williams engine/aero/tires package works fine on race trim.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 01:58 (Ref:386263)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
With the current pace of the Ferraris, that is a mighty big "if." The obvious answer is (a).
Old 23 Sep 2002, 02:25 (Ref:386270)   #3
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that is a loaded question, and so I will provide a bit of ammunition not unexpected;

a; will be the option chosen by JP.

b; will be the option chosen by Ralf.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 02:40 (Ref:386277)   #4
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
a) Take the challenge to overtake or break the engine fighting........

PS: Assuming Williams engine/aero/tires package works fine on race trim.
If the engine "works fine", then why will it break???? Surely that is the real question.... is the BMW engine so fragile that you can't drive it to it's limits? With rev limiters and automatic boxes why does it break.... surely not from revs?

On they other hand, if BMW are giving the drivers the option to use some "extra" revs from time to time and one driver abuses that option, then that is something different.

But unless we have a spy in the Williams/BMW camp, we can't really assume the engine "works fine" (or not as the case may be).

Last edited by alfasud; 23 Sep 2002 at 02:43.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 02:52 (Ref:386281)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Floor it man! No one remembers who finished third!
Old 23 Sep 2002, 13:04 (Ref:386597)   #6
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
I thought this question was more important that "Who's better ?"...

Come on guys..., do you think they have to keep their engine and beat their teammate, or try to catch Barrichello ?
Old 23 Sep 2002, 15:58 (Ref:386666)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about try to keep up with Barrichello AND keep the engine alive? Of course, preferrably try and catch but if it just isnt in the card keep the engine revving and the car on the black stuff. Trying and failing (failing to finish that is) is not an option. Not even from the entertainment point of view.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 17:18 (Ref:386691)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Floor it man! No one remembers who finished third!
well said !..

lets see some racing .
Old 24 Sep 2002, 12:41 (Ref:387246)   #9
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
This is funny, I heard some posters defending Ralf's "saving my engine" position, and haven't say anything on this subject yet...
Old 24 Sep 2002, 13:05 (Ref:387268)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Ughh... I did..
Old 24 Sep 2002, 13:54 (Ref:387295)   #11
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ralf's current contract with Williams ends next season. To be honest, if Ralf 'saves' his engine too much during the next season, it might be difficult for him to 'save' his a** from getting fired.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 15:52 (Ref:387371)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isnt this racing? If a driver does not go out to win he does not deserve his seat. RS/JPM should both be looking ahead of MS, not RB. Ok, so his position is sealed but he is still the benchmark. They should both be trying to get 1-2 finishes for the next two races.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 16:01 (Ref:387379)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I am thinking Fangio didn't wake up in the morning on race day and say to himself: "I would be mighty pleased to keep it on the black stuff and finish respectably."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 00:25 (Ref:387746)   #14
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, Ralf's contract expires at the end of 2004..along with BMW's and Pablo as well.

As far as your question goes - Speed - tough to answer. I think both Williams drivers will go flat out to beat each other - Rubens is now pretty much in the clear for 2nd in the championship - Indy is the best bet for either of the two Williams cars to win - or at the very least finish 2nd...cos in Suzuka - we're likely to see a Ferrari 1-2 and the rest of them 20 seconds behind.

My vote though is still with Ralf to finish in 3rd place - behind Michael and Rubens in the championship - providing that all the gremlins that seem to be hitting his car and his pit stops..go away for the next 4 weeks!

Ferrari are just too strong in race conditions for Ralf and Pablo to beat them in Suzuka. Indy though - is still wide open and can turn out to be anybodys race.

Last edited by Mania; 25 Sep 2002 at 00:28.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 01:23 (Ref:387761)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
Ralf's current contract with Williams ends next season. To be honest, if Ralf 'saves' his engine too much during the next season, it might be difficult for him to 'save' his a** from getting fired.
Well...a good driver would try to understand his car's engine and tyre's capabilities before charging blindly. Like i've always said Ralf is a thinking driver because he knows what his car can and cannot do. Count and compare how many times he and his teammate blows and makes silly mistakes.

You can't just floor the pedal blindly if there are certain limits that your engine can take.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 05:55 (Ref:387808)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But then count how many times Ralf's teammate has tried to over take Ralf's brother....Maybe Ralf is too much of a thinking driver and not much of a racer anymore !......
Old 25 Sep 2002, 06:31 (Ref:387818)   #17
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
they can't get Rubens .. so both will try finish ahead of each other .. and secure the 3rd positin in the WDC .. especially for next year .. when one can say .. I beat my teammate so ... I can beat him again....

Ciao Marco
Old 25 Sep 2002, 06:32 (Ref:387819)   #18
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
True Sato San..but how many times he managed to get better results than Michael after trying?

Last edited by Jukebox; 25 Sep 2002 at 06:33.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 06:49 (Ref:387829)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Actually an even better question is how many times did they touched and both lost positions in the process. As I earlier said trying and failing is not an option. Everyone can do that.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 06:57 (Ref:387832)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
.......He has got the better of Michael a few times , which is more than Ralf....and if you dont try , you wont beat the best . Who wants to watch a driver sit behind the current world champ and say ." after you brother "..i dont.

I Agree that for Juan to be world champion in the future he has got to tame his agreesion to a small degree , But Ralf is so much of a thinking driver nowdays he wouldnt make a worthy champion for the simple reason of who wants to see a world champion always settle for a lower finishing place than what he is capable of ..
Old 25 Sep 2002, 07:00 (Ref:387833)   #21
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
so what are you saying Red , that TGF is silly as well for racing Juan ?
Old 25 Sep 2002, 07:06 (Ref:387839)   #22
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
I'll make it easier for you Sato San

2001 - Ralf 3 wins (San Marino, Canada & Germany)
Montoya 1 win (Italy)

2002 - Ralf 1 win (Malaysia)
Montoya nil

What does that tells you? being aggressive for what? blowing up engines and ruining the car for DNFs?
Old 25 Sep 2002, 07:10 (Ref:387843)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
so what are you saying Red , that TGF is silly as well for racing Juan ?
:confused: Why? Of course not, because if I'm not mistaking when Michael wants to overtake Pablo he gains a position. (The only exception was Austria last year, but it was Montoya's mistake. And certainly Michael didn't allow a bis. Besides, he did overtake Montoya; but had to brake hard to avoid him and lost positions to others.)
Old 25 Sep 2002, 07:11 (Ref:387846)   #24
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
At least Ralf & DC were the only ones who managed to break the Ferrari domination this season....and they all say it's impossible to do just that because of the F2002. Kimi did came close.....
Old 25 Sep 2002, 07:22 (Ref:387855)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
I'll make it easier for you Sato San

2001 - Ralf 3 wins (San Marino, Canada & Germany)
Montoya 1 win (Italy)

2002 - Ralf 1 win (Malaysia)
Montoya nil

What does that tells you? being aggressive for what? blowing up engines and ruining the car for DNFs?
Juke ...thats not making it easier...it just making it easier for you i think...
...you seem to forget the bits you want to mention in your post ....how about Ralf being completely out paced by a rookie in the 2nd half of last season....as after all Ralf has been here since 97 , Juan was in his first year ...bit embarresing that dont you think ?

also , i really think your clutching at straws with all this Car breaker stuff.....Monza i agree with you , even i think Juans over agreesive drive could have damaged his car ...but you obvioulsy seem to be forgetting that engines cant just be blown up anymore by the driver...

Tags
jpm