Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Sep 2002, 11:44 (Ref:387198)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where now for Thommo

Just had a read through the interview with Thommo on autosport.com, got me thinking about 2003.

As Vauxhall are in again, we could assume that JT will defend his title with them, I'm sure they would like to have the champion behind the wheel again, having lost out last time after falling out with Plato.

Will Muller got to the ETCC after failing to clinch the BTCC again?

Honda are looking strong and both drivers have won during the year, but will they cast an eye over JT to bring him 'back to the fold'?

One factor is that there have been so many good peformances this year, that it's no longer the case that being champion carry's the salary premium it used to in the Super Touring days. Back then, manufacturer's though you couldn't win races or title's without a Menu, Aiello or Rydell in the car, and top driver's pay increased as a result.

This year we've seen strong performances from Howell and Turkington for example. Last year Plato priced himself out of the driver's market, by convincing himself that as BTCC Champion, that was what he deserved.

I hope Thommo is sensible and doesn't do the same, I'd love to see him back to defend his title.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 20:00 (Ref:388345)   #2
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As per wording in Redshoes Racing interview at Brands Hatch:

"Recent seasons have seen the BTCC champion quit the series in favour of other forms of motorsport - Laurent Aiello and Alain Menu both to the German DTM series, Jason Plato to ASCAR oval racing. Should James lift the title he intends to break that tradition. "I would love to come back and defend it. I am very happy here. I've done nine seasons with the championship and its where I'm best known and where I've enjoyed all my success."

Well, we know he'd like to