Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Nov 2002, 12:00 (Ref:426322)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christian Fittipaldi - H ero of Mexico???

The Toronto Sun's reporter said yesterday in an approving article about Christian Fittipaldi's move to NASCAR that he was hired "because they wanted to reach out to the Hispanic community." In other words, according to the Toronto Sun, Christian Fittipaldi is Mexican. Well that made me chuckle!
Old 11 Nov 2002, 12:13 (Ref:426333)   #2
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe because Fitty's first language is spanish they figured he could communicate with those fans somehow.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 12:31 (Ref:426350)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well he probably can -- but South Americans aren't "Hispanic" even if they can speak Spanish. I thought they hired him because people would recognize his last name.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 13:12 (Ref:426370)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The official language of Brazil is Portuguese, not Spanish.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 14:39 (Ref:426425)   #5
pferrf1
Rookie

pferrf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes- Brazilians are not hispanic......at all.

I thought Fitti went to Nascar because he and his uncle Emmo are buying the NASCAR rights for Brazil......

Besides - where would Chrstian go.. his time in CART was done....would he go back to f1? No....ALMS...no... The money is in Nascar...he can go there and race another 10 or 15 years if he's any good.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 17:44 (Ref:426517)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brazilians maybe be recognized as latinos roughly, but hispanic?
Old 11 Nov 2002, 18:11 (Ref:426526)   #7
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by pferrf1
Yes- Brazilians are not hispanic......at all.

I thought Fitti went to Nascar because he and his uncle Emmo are buying the NASCAR rights for Brazil......

word has it...that christian went to neckcar..
because...he likes to get rear-ended.

perhaps that an hispanic custom.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 19:08 (Ref:426557)   #8
crazytrain
Racer

I never understood Nascrap you know. Unless you're from the south you are looked at as an outsider just ask Jeff Gordon of California. so you could just imagine a Brazilian racing in the stock cars. Is it beacuse the drivers are racist? I don't know maybe they just don't see the big picture that just because you're not from the good ol Southern USA and didn't do moonshine runs like the dukes of hazard then you should be spun out at every oportunity. Anyways I saw the interview that Fittipaldi gave after his big crash and he seemed very puzzled as to why someone would just Run into him like that. I hope he does well but I also think the drivers will give him no respect. Maybe thats why Petty wanted Fitty to do minor league stuff before he graduted to the Nascraps elite you know rub fenders with the good ol boys so that he didn't visit the wall more times than not. I don't know if Christian has got the mental toughness to fight back at these Nascrap folk I hope he does.

Roger D 10-4
Over and out
Old 11 Nov 2002, 21:48 (Ref:426643)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That "south" notion is changing in NASCAR...

Plus, it depends on whose drivers Fittipaldi has behind. Drivers like Martin, Jeff Burton or Bobby Labonte will race him clean, while guys like Harvick or Spencer tend more to push guys..
Old 11 Nov 2002, 23:13 (Ref:426703)   #10
crazytrain
Racer

Jordi I don't know about that, Nascar tends to be a bit slower at making changes safety wise and just in general because they are stuck in their ways. I'm sure the "south" notion is better than it was 10-15 years ago but I don't think its quite there yet.

Like I read in another forum someone said "ask Scott Pruet what Nascar is like to outsiders" and I agree with this guy Pruet met Mr. wall on many occasions. It may be that open wheel guys need more experience in the minors to learn how to rub fenders at 200+, and how to recover from a rear bump I don't know.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 00:31 (Ref:426740)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Mr Fittipaldi was rather spectacularly turned around in his Winston Cup debut at Pheonix on the weekend...

Does anyone remember when CART raced there? I loved that place...
Old 12 Nov 2002, 00:47 (Ref:426754)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm...no, but I remember it was great fun to lap around in Indycar 2... although it was by far the narrowest of the ovals, so overtaking was difficult (at least in the game).
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Nov 2002, 04:06 (Ref:426811)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
CART was last in Phoenix back in 95.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 15:22 (Ref:427096)   #14
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First race I saw Fity in in NASCAR he made it through something like 22 laps before the ran him off the road. And I mean RAN him off the road. So it seems like twice in two races that has happened. God move my man.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 15:31 (Ref:427098)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope he's expecting a serious hazing from the Redneck type drivers. A lot of the fans and drivers have struggled over the years to accept guys like Jeff Gordon, John Andretti, Tony Stewart and now Ryan Newman, as they aren't from the South, but if the Winston Cup ends up with a non-American regular, it'll blow their minds. I hope he can show some talent though, because I'm not convinced that he's cut out for this.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 17:30 (Ref:427146)   #16
Liz
Veteran

If they take him to their hearts, Ron Fellows is going to burst into tears. He's a lot more "Amurrican" than Christian is and he can't get a break. Even when he had that cheezy moustache!
Old 12 Nov 2002, 17:37 (Ref:427155)   #17
crazytrain
Racer

I wonder if the nascrap drivers are really theatened by Christian. Everybody knows that the brazillians get a lot of support from the corporate community in their country, maybe the good ol' boys think "foreigners" will fllod Nascrap and take their rides away. look at CART. I don't see anything wrong with this whatsoever but these "Southern" folk are like country music, tradition, tradition , tradition and the heck with all you people trying to make things modern. Or maybe these nascrap drivers think that he can't drive worth s**t. my 0.002
Old 12 Nov 2002, 18:13 (Ref:427183)   #18
Lee Roy
Rookie

Lee Roy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If NASCAR is such a "southern" thing, why does NASCAR sell out Pocono twice a year, which open-wheel racing can't do even once; sell out New Hampshire twice a year, which open-wheel racing can't do even once; sell out Michigan twice a year, which open-wheel racing can't do even once; sell out a race in Chicago, which open wheel racing can't; sell out a race in Las Vegas, which open wheel racing can't; sell out Phoenix, which open wheel racing can't, and sell out Fontana, which open wheel racing can't.

If regional prejudice did exist in NASCAR, which it doesn't, it would have nothing on the regional prejudice that exists here. You people are something else.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 18:16 (Ref:427185)   #19
Lee Roy
Rookie

Lee Roy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
If they take him to their hearts, Ron Fellows is going to burst into tears. He's a lot more "Amurrican" than Christian is and he can't get a break. Even when he had that cheezy moustache!
If NASCAR people hate Ron Fellows so much, why did Dale Earnhardt Incorporated just sign him to a contract to race at Watkins Glen and Sears Point in 2003? Your statements don't make any sense at all.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 19:38 (Ref:427228)   #20
Liz
Veteran

I was being funny.