Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 27 Nov 2002, 12:11 (Ref:437847)   #1
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GPL online league?

Would anyone be interested in maybe a GPL online league?

We could run a 1967 season or something.

Let me know if you'd be interested..
Old 27 Nov 2002, 18:15 (Ref:438102)   #2
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I would be interested in that.

Who would run the league, what type of rules, the server spec, race length, etc etc.
Old 27 Nov 2002, 18:57 (Ref:438142)   #3
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
go for it, make sure it's a fast and fun circuit like Monza

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 27 Nov 2002, 19:01 (Ref:438145)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I've been thinking about going online for quite a while, but I wanted to make sure I'm basically competent first. I'd need to run on the Papy circuits, as I only have 4-5 others downloaded, which I don't bother with. I'm determined to learn my art first!
Old 27 Nov 2002, 19:24 (Ref:438159)   #5
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

The best way I found to learn the tracks is to have the deadline of a race. This focus's the mind on the track and at the end of it you have a fun race online.

To be honest as long as you drive sensibly, and not spin you can race in any league.
Old 27 Nov 2002, 22:31 (Ref:438314)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I can spin anytime! I have to try not to win the race at the first corner. Trouble is, I can get pole pretty well everywhere, but I always get beaten off the line by the AI cars!

Assuming that we might get something together online could someone (Tony maybe?) give us a brief rundown on:-

1. The basic needs for playing on line, and
2. Any particular do's and don't's that online racing entails

?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 06:38 (Ref:438433)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depending on system requirements and so on i'd definatly be interested.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 11:45 (Ref:438563)   #8
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
there is strangely enough, a GPL online racing rule book which i've read - pretty basic stuff i.e don't bash people off the track and make sure they know you're going to take their position - silly stuff like that. i find that if i do something stupid, it usually means im off the track - so i've learned to know when an oppurtunity to is there and when it is not.

Old 28 Nov 2002, 17:39 (Ref:438862)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would be interested too, but only when i got a wheel to save myself of embarrassment...
Old 28 Nov 2002, 18:32 (Ref:438902)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It doesn't need to be too serious, just some Ten-Tenthers having a race and some fun with a focus thrown in.

I'm able to host races with up to 12 players (just to be safe) if needed.

Right. So how do we want this thing to run?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:25 (Ref:438936)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh ok, then i'm interested.

What program do i need for this btw?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 20:45 (Ref:439008)   #12
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

How about a couple of fun races, everyone in the same car, at tracks like Glen, Monza, with a short length race, and a limit of shift R's (3 or so) so that it teaches you to stay on track and finish.

This will give everyone a chance to practice online racing.

As for online racing ettiquette, its much like real life racing, do not crash into people, do not do spin turns on the racing line, etcetc,etc, If you do spin, rejoinin a sensible place not onthe racing line , exit to a corner etc.

Be carful at the start of the race, brake early for the first lap or twodrive with in your limits. With overtaking manovers give yourself extra room as the computer 'warps' and thinks you are touching. It just means less accidents. Other than that enjoy all the racing that occurs and do not get disheartened by faster people do your own race.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 21:00 (Ref:439021)   #13
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
lets do it!!!

Old 28 Nov 2002, 22:12 (Ref:439069)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
lets do it!!!
Yes, providing we can identify a suitable time, I'm up for it too. Who is going to co-ordinate things, Spudgun and/or Tony, perhaps?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 22:19 (Ref:439073)   #15
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
OK, let's start by posting what times we are all available and see if we can come to a compromise...

I'd be available evenings:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.

or:

Saturday morning and Sunday all day (on a fornightly basis. I'm away from home at the weekend every fortnight).

That's UK time (GMT).

Last edited by Spudgun; 28 Nov 2002 at 22:21.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 22:23 (Ref:439077)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'll need to toddle off and check what I'm doing and get back with my "movements", so to speak. Probably have to be tomorrow now.

(But I do think we ought to recognise the fact that it may be impossible to find a day/time which suits everyone - I'm thinking back to the ill-fated efforts in the chatroom (best left forgotten).

Last edited by Aysedasi; 28 Nov 2002 at 22:24.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 12:39 (Ref:439358)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

I don't know when i'm available....
I'm at the mercy of my sister since my computer (yep, MY computer) is located in her bedroom...

Maybe it's about time for a hostage situation...

PS: Please, only people located in Europe, since i don't want to have to wake up at 3-4 am in the morning to play...

My sister would go crazy...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 29 Nov 2002 at 12:42.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 13:20 (Ref:439385)   #18
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd give it a go.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 13:30 (Ref:439393)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
I don't know when i'm available....
I'm at the mercy of my sister since my computer (yep, MY computer) is located in her bedroom...

How old is your sister?

I may want to put my computer in her bedroom too.....
Old 29 Nov 2002, 13:38 (Ref:439402)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
How old is your sister?

I may want to put my computer in her bedroom too.....

LMAO
That's a good one

She's 23 years old btw.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 17:20 (Ref:439498)   #21
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

If an evening race is in order (and that sounds the easiest at the moment) then it should start no later than about 8pm GMT, so that the race finishes at a sensible time. What do people think of that idea???

Also those of you who have VROC (www.vroc.net the place we join races from) I have set up a private area for ten-tenths members. send me a PM to get the name of it and the password, so as no unsavory people get into it. THis will enable us to chat about the races, anything to do with gpl easily, etc,etc
Old 29 Nov 2002, 19:15 (Ref:439562)   #22
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
erm "im freeeee" (no reference to John Inman!) on Sunday and most weekday nights...

Old 29 Nov 2002, 19:55 (Ref:439585)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

I'm available at 9pm GMT+1 almost every day except the weekends.

It depends what the mental condition of my sister is at the time (mental/less mental)
Old 29 Nov 2002, 20:18 (Ref:439593)   #24
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm having probs setting up vroc at the moment, it keeps on cutting out when I initially try to join a race, says that there's a problem with the connection. if i can get that sorted out then i'll definately be up for it. fre anytime too (i'm a student, so i'm fairly flexible)
Old 29 Nov 2002, 21:01 (Ref:439613)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
LMAO
That's a good one

She's 23 years old btw.

If I wasn't happily married, I'd be packing up my pc right now.......