Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Nov 2002, 09:01 (Ref:439932)   #1
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
De Matta's views on the depressing state of CART

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=21359&s=7 - from AUTOSPORT:

"I am very sad about the way Champ Cars is going," da Matta told Reuters. "The only real motorsport there is in America today is Champ Cars. IRL is a good series and is getting better in everything but it is only ovals.

"CART is such a good series because the equipment is so similar and teams are [at a] very high level. Now many teams and the drivers are leaving so I think the series will go back in time a bit to what it was like in the late 1980's and early 1990's where there were a few good drivers and teams."
Old 30 Nov 2002, 12:13 (Ref:440039)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the late 80's and early 90's, CART was almost F1's rival. I'd like to get back to those times!
Old 30 Nov 2002, 12:27 (Ref:440044)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too. Cristiano is absolutely correct. Last year was depressing and we need to gt it fixed. Fortunately Chris Pook agrees with him and that, I think, is the way we are headed.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 13:24 (Ref:440070)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the series is starting to rise again, and 2003 will see a lot of new stars emerge, with a grid full of committed teams who love racing, rather than money-grabbing corporate lowlives.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 14:59 (Ref:440113)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2003 will see the reverse of fortunes for the CART World Series. 2002 wasn't a great year for the series, but thanks to new rules and regulations, we will see the return of great racing in 2003 and the re-beginnning of the 'war' between the series.... a war in which Champ Cars will eventually prevail...
Old 30 Nov 2002, 17:51 (Ref:440169)   #6
Rambo
Racer

I think what he means is that, rather than the extremely competitive last few seasons, we'll end up going back to the years where one or two top teams like Penske dominated, no matter how good the drivers in the other cars. I don't see myself it with the "one-make-series" formula they'll be running, but you can see his concern with people jumping ship.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 18:54 (Ref:440191)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But he also says this:

Quote:
"The only real motor sport there is in America today is ChampCars," said da Matta during this week's F1 test session in Spain. "Next year is definitely a crucial year for the series but I just hope for the best because it is such a better series than anything else in the United States."

"CART is such a good series because the equipment is so similar and teams are at a very high level. For Americans it is a good series... but if you look at it from the world point of view I don't think a guy from Europe or Australia or Japan will want to go to America to race IRL."
Old 30 Nov 2002, 21:11 (Ref:440228)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah...it really does pay to read the entire article.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 1 Dec 2002, 08:27 (Ref:440370)   #9
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole article is actually quite affirming about CART. Its the Autosport headline that is depressing, but that is just mindless echoing of the 'bla bla ' press who jump on any negative bag 'em thread going. Christiano is very pro CART.
Old 1 Dec 2002, 09:07 (Ref:440384)   #10
Rambo
Racer

If he's so pro-CART, why is he going to be driving a Formula One next season?
Old 1 Dec 2002, 11:26 (Ref:440450)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because F1's the pinnacle of motorsport. Sure, when he was growing up, he was dreaming of reaching F1.
Old 1 Dec 2002, 12:55 (Ref:440492)   #12
Liz
Veteran

He followed his dream. I've heard him say that Emerson Fittipaldi was the one who led the Brazilians into European racing and that Adrian Fernandez is doing the same thing for the Mexicans. Fernandez is leading his countrymen into Champ Cars.

Perhaps some of the guys coming in from other countries will do the same for their countrymen.