Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 23 Jul 2000, 07:17 (Ref:24897)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
just wondering if someone could explain something to me...here in Australia we have a few of the new Ferrai 360 modena cars running in the GTP series..now they have 2 options on the gearbox...a normal H pattern combo or the F1 style semi auto box..now the problem I carnt seem to get my head around is this...The semi auto guys are having alot of problems getting the car off the line because apparently they carnt select first gear until the lights go green for some reason and of course this looses them a bit of time at the start..(which we all know these days the start is the most important part of the race)...now my problem is why do they have to select first gear after the light..as far as I know thy have a clutch pedal ..so why carnt they select first and wait for the lights as per every other car????

any help with this will help my fragile mind on race days
Old 23 Jul 2000, 08:20 (Ref:24906)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Don't these 'Tip-tronic' style electronic gearchange mechanisms use some kind of solenoid clutch, controlled by the gearbox ECU, so that you don't have to lift the throttle? This would also control engine revs.

I think the manual gearchange requires the use of the conventional clutch operation, but the two systems don't cross over.

Am I right? Wouldn't it be daft to have to use a conventional, mechanical, read S L O W clutch pedal, while your speedy fingers are doing the selecting??

Marcus, I'll see what else I can find, but it won't be 'til tomorrow I'm afraid, 'cos I'm off to cheer 'our Pete' in the Snetterton Classic!

Cheers
Sparky
Old 23 Jul 2000, 10:04 (Ref:24916)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Ferrari semi auto box is really just an automatic gearbox with a manualised shift. There is no clutch pedal, the driver must select neutral to keep the car stationary, selecting first gear, even without applying the throttle will cause the car to creep, earning the driver a black flag.
Old 23 Jul 2000, 10:47 (Ref:24930)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David hit the nail on the head there, no clutch. Actually the H-pattern are seen on no Ferrari Modena 360s in the world except for the two in GTP, simply a parity thing which the RPM team have taken advantage of.
Old 23 Jul 2000, 10:52 (Ref:24934)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well there you go..thanks guys...maybe they should come up with some sort of device to help them on the starts..but anyway now i know whats goin on in a ferrari at the start of a race.

CHEERS