Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Dec 2002, 19:00 (Ref:456929)   #1
Lightspeed
Rookie

Lightspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Venue: Edmonton

In the late 60s early 70s, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, hosted Can-am racing at the Edmonton International Speedway. Attendance was 30K - 40K in a city with 300K population. The Speedway is long gone but the city centre airport is hardly used. Successful CASCAR (like ARCA) events have been staged at the airport, why not CART? The metro area has nearly 1-million population, Edmonton is renowed for its ability to mobilize volunteers, the airport location is 5-min from downtown, thousands of Albertans travel to Vancouver for their race.

How about it?
Old 24 Dec 2002, 20:29 (Ref:456978)   #2
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shouldn't Canada focus on an eventual second circuit race? IMO, it's fine now.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 20:32 (Ref:456981)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think at the moment, Cart has enough races in Canada. But for the future, maybe...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Dec 2002, 01:50 (Ref:457081)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You wouldn't happen to have a map of the facility, would you?

Does this get more or less traffic than the city center airport?

Cripes, I nearly typed centre... That's what I get for hanging around so many European types...
Old 25 Dec 2002, 10:49 (Ref:457161)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A second airport race?

Sounds cool! Cleveland the II.
Old 25 Dec 2002, 19:12 (Ref:457289)   #6
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, cities like Edmonton and Calgary (where the Stampede is legendary) are good cities. I believe there were also some hot WoO sprint-car shows in the Edmonton area at one time. I'm sure both cities would be good venues and Canadians like their CART racing.

It'll be interesting to see what the CART "vision" is as it seems to move to more street events and away from ovals. The question will be: If you dump, say, Milwaukee, to accommodate a race in Edmonton, what will the overall effect be on the series?
Old 25 Dec 2002, 20:19 (Ref:457301)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

I've been a huge advocate of road courses, but even I believe the series needs about 4 _really_good_ ovals.

I much prefer them to courses like Denver.

Not abroad, though, just in the US and Canada... _Maybe_ Mexico.

Pocono, Michigan, Milwaukee, and someplace in the middle of Canada. CART's got _much_ better product recognition up north than in the southern states.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 25 Dec 2002 at 20:22.
Old 25 Dec 2002, 20:57 (Ref:457320)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Is Edmonton a significantly larger market than Calgary?
Old 26 Dec 2002, 04:19 (Ref:457462)   #9
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not an oval race in Canada like in the days @ Sanair?
Old 26 Dec 2002, 14:06 (Ref:457659)   #10
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there was an oval which could accommodate the series in Canada, 'spect they would because they already have a unique following there.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 16:48 (Ref:457704)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah... Outside of Ontario and Quebec, Canada's really short on permanent motorsport facilities.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 18:14 (Ref:457731)   #12
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be all for another race in Canada. The Canadian fanbase is huge and they pull mega attendance figures. I would expand in Canada before I would over seas. It's a matter of adding another money making race to the schedule instead of taking the chance on a Euro bust like Rockingham(although Rockingham was an oval and Europe hates ovals).
Old 27 Dec 2002, 04:06 (Ref:457942)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Is Edmonton a significantly larger market than Calgary?
They're about the same population (<1 mil). But they're only about 3 hours apart IIRC. So you could hold the race in either city, and the other would come (once they got over the snub over being the city not chosen).
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 27 Dec 2002, 07:57 (Ref:457986)   #14
Lightspeed
Rookie

Lightspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Edmonton's wonderful racing heritage (the Gold Cup sprint car series inthe 50s, the Can-Am and Formula Atlantic in the 60s and drag racing in the 70s) a CART race seems only fitting. The aforementioned City Centre Airport racetrack location also offers great visuals for television with the downtown skyline as backdrop. The city is also rated one of the top ten economic growth centres in North America (Alberta has more oil than Saudi Arabia).

This city is so sports crazy that 50K turned out to watch a women's soccer game!

How about some Emails to Mayor Bill Smith (go to www.gov.edmonton.ab.ca) and to Papa Chris Pook?

Thanks everyone for showing interest.

Lightspeed
Old 27 Dec 2002, 08:04 (Ref:457990)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, I think Canada is deserving of more races, simply because we know they will attend in huge numbers as they show every year their love and devotion towards the CART World Series. I've always read that Canadaians are quite knowledgable about their motor-racing - whether it's CART or F1 - and IMO Canada should have at least 6 races!!
Old 27 Dec 2002, 08:48 (Ref:458007)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
'Cept we ain't got six cities!