Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Jan 2003, 15:20 (Ref:463584)   #1
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory Hairpin - how close can you get?

In the recently resurrected Crystal Palace thread mention is made of the hairpin at Mallory and what a good place it was to see cars at close quarters. You could get even closer if you were on the inside - viz this shot of Peter Westbury offering to polish a marshals shoes.
Attached Thumbnails
71-03-14 westbury mallory.jpg  
Old 4 Jan 2003, 15:23 (Ref:463588)   #2
DaveM
Racer

And you could just about step into Mike-The-Bike's Surtees...
Attached Thumbnails
71 hailwood mallory2.jpg  
Old 4 Jan 2003, 15:29 (Ref:463596)   #3
DaveM
Racer

BTW, Westbury in F2 BT30 entered by his Felday team and Hailwood in the works F5000 TS8, both in 71 (but not the same date!).
Old 4 Jan 2003, 23:27 (Ref:463961)   #4
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave,

I haven't been there for a couple of years but you could get as close as the people on the outside of the circuit in the first picture when i was there.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 6 Jan 2003, 01:17 (Ref:464966)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What condition is Mallory Park in today? I know it from GPL, I'd be interested to hear how it's ended up.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 05:08 (Ref:465044)   #6
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have mentioned this before, but seeing shots like these makes we dream of a time machine that would allow me to pop back and spend time at circuits like this. This summer I had the opportunity to have a photo pass for the Montreal CART race, and appreciated the access to shooting areas very much, but this stuff is fantastic.

Should mention that I am very aware of the inherent dangers of track layouts and access points like this, but as it is unlikely that I will in fact be able to pop back in time with some era appropriate camera gear, I can day dream and not worry about getting clobbered by a flying wheel or Mike the bike.

cheers
Old 6 Jan 2003, 08:47 (Ref:465107)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by M Coupe
Dave,

I haven't been there for a couple of years but you could get as close as the people on the outside of the circuit in the first picture when i was there.
More than a couple of years since you could stand at the hairpin I think.M Coupe?
And work has just started on a chicane between Stebbe Straight & the Esses. Hopefully it will be like the one after the hairpin,that is used only by bikes.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 09:14 (Ref:465123)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
More than a couple of years since you could stand at the hairpin I think.M Coupe?
And work has just started on a chicane between Stebbe Straight & the Esses. Hopefully it will be like the one after the hairpin,that is used only by bikes.
There's still good spectator access at the hairpin - the picture doesn't look all that much different to how it is nowadays. Of course, the inside is much better - that's where I spent Boxing Day!

As for the new layout at the Esses, I'm not sure whether it will be used for both cars & bikes, but I suspect it will.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 6 Jan 2003 at 09:15.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 17:30 (Ref:465479)   #9
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
The new layout is mostly in response the fatalities and sheer magnitude of 'how-did-they-walk-away-from-that?' type incidents that have occurred recently.

As for standing on the apex of the hairpin, it is a unique and breathtaking experience, especially on the first lap!!!!
Old 7 Jan 2003, 06:17 (Ref:465996)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilwaynesmith
..................................As for standing on the apex of the hairpin, it is a unique and breathtaking experience, especially on the first lap!!!!
Try it from inside the car then

This is the only one I've got showing a mildly crowded Shaws. This was the second lap and I was overtaking the black car.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 13:08 (Ref:466284)   #11
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big act of faith Peter- around the outside! I tried that once with Martin Brundell in the Walkinshaw BMWs. Only he took the opportunity to dismiss me (spun me out). *******! ;-)
Old 7 Jan 2003, 13:32 (Ref:466314)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can't believe Martin would do such a thing but I have to say that Martin West (in the black Capri) and I have raced closely without touching a few times.

My favourite outside overtaking move was at Castle Coombe in 1999 in a very wet race at the last corner before the start/finish line. I passed about three cars on the apex and apparently it was a crowd pleaser. Unfortunately I only did it because I was travelling to bloody fast to slow down!
Old 7 Jan 2003, 23:01 (Ref:466798)   #13
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob,

I've got a few pics which once I fix my scanner (hopefully tomorrow) I'll post which I took there a couple of years ago. You can't stand on the outside other than at the exit side but you could still get fairly close.

Mark

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 10 Jan 2003, 15:16 (Ref:470285)   #14
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
This is the only one I've got showing a mildly crowded Shaws. This was the second lap and I was overtaking the black car.
Peter - are you sure that is not Gordon Spice going around the outside of La Source in the Belga Capri in the 1981 Spa 24 Hours?
Old 10 Jan 2003, 15:18 (Ref:470289)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seriously though - here are a couple of shots I took at MP
a few years back. It is virtually unchanged save for new armco and a better spectator fence but thankfully, no large wire fence to spoil the view.
Attached Thumbnails
shawin.jpg  
Old 10 Jan 2003, 15:21 (Ref:470294)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The hairpin itself and in the background - The Kirkby Mallory Coachhouse - The local village pub should one develop a thirst between races!
Attached Thumbnails
shawout.jpg  
Old 10 Jan 2003, 15:24 (Ref:470300)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
BMWs approach the hairpin. As previously posted, a great place to take pictures, if you can get a press pass that is!
Scary too, especially with cars that interlock wheels easily
such as FF1600.
Attached Thumbnails
bmwmp.jpg  
Old 11 Jan 2003, 02:32 (Ref:470887)   #18
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Andrew Kitson [/i
Scary too, especially with cars that interlock wheels easily such as FF1600. [/B]
exactly my thoughts Andrew. There doesn't seem to be much runoff room straight on is there, unless of course you mean entering the pub at a gallop!

In one of your shots, hasn't that tree been there for ever and ever? I seem to recall it in old film clips that I haave seen from there.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 09:41 (Ref:470989)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes djb, that tree does seem to have been there forever.
Chris Meek, owner of Mallory, gave me a nice book a couple of years ago that he commissioned about the history of the estate and the aristocratic families that lived there. In the grounds, just near the coach house and still standing is the 'Byron' tree. It is said that Lord Byron used to sit under it on a hot sunny day writing.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 11:58 (Ref:471061)   #20
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
It's also VERY good to hide behind. Especially on the first lap of a 750 Stock Hatch Race
Old 11 Jan 2003, 20:01 (Ref:471383)   #21
djb
Veteran

well, you learn something everyday don't you?

and neil, do you mean a 750cc bike race (don't get the "hatch" reference, as in hatchback, as in car)?
Old 11 Jan 2003, 23:20 (Ref:471541)   #22
DaveM
Racer

Dug out this shot from the FF race during the F2 meeting on 14th March 71. I took it from Devils Elbow looking towards Shaws hairpin, and you can see where the spectators were allowed to stand in those days. It was a great place to watch from and there were a lot of incidents there - a haven for the demon late brakers!
Attached Thumbnails
71-03-14 mallory ff lap1.jpg  
Old 11 Jan 2003, 23:24 (Ref:471548)   #23
DaveM
Racer

Photographers at work (I think that's Nigel Snowdon standing). Taken at the same meeting - Derek Bell's March 712M entered by Frank Williams.
Attached Thumbnails
71-03-14 mallory bell colour.jpg  
Old 11 Jan 2003, 23:57 (Ref:471584)   #24
DaveM
Racer

A quote from davemorganfan in the F3 thread: "Ah, a good lad, Mr Maskell. I think he was the only one who dared to appear in one of those seriously ugly Chevron B18s in 1971."

Jo Siffert ran two that year for himself and Xavier Perrot, and here the latter is chased by Jeremy Richardson at Mallory. They finished 7th and 6th respectively on aggregate of two heats.
Attached Thumbnails
71-03-14 mallory xavier perrot b18.jpg  
Old 12 Jan 2003, 00:21 (Ref:471609)   #25
DaveM
Racer

Siffert himself didn't figure in the results following an accident in the first heat, although he finished 5th in the second.
Attached Thumbnails
71-03-14 mallory siffert.jpg