Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 5 Jan 2003, 06:12 (Ref:464195)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Bathurst 2003

well ok its a tad early (in fact very early) but I visited bathurst last week for a look around the track and museum and its fresh in my mind and the blood is boiling.

soooooooooooooooooooo , anyone planning to make the trek to bathurst for the V8 race later in the year????

would be good to meet up with a few more members of ten tenths than I already have (ok so ive only met one) but I'm planning to go to bathurst so thought I'd get the ball rolling nice and early so the plans can begin

So who's up for it ?????
Old 5 Jan 2003, 08:34 (Ref:464243)   #2
gsr
Racer

gsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never miss it...well at least the last 11 years straight.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 08:53 (Ref:464253)   #3
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am camped at McPhillamy in a prime position every year.I go up to bathurst a week before the race & would like to meet any 1010 members there.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 08:38 (Ref:466055)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm keen to go again, if i do get there, i'll be in the paddock most of the day but i don't know where i will be at night.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 10:26 (Ref:466149)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be going once more. No idea where I'll be staying this time though...
Old 7 Jan 2003, 12:19 (Ref:466244)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah Im about to start looking into accomodation , I guess for that time of year it can get fairly pricey ??
Old 7 Jan 2003, 13:45 (Ref:466327)   #7
moffman
Veteran

Why don't you blokes camp. It only costs $120 per site & you can set up the saturday of the weekend before the race if you like. Just stay away from the Reid & Sulman Park campsites & have a look at either the McPhillamy Park or The Chase campgrounds as these two grounds contain are less rowdy & contain knowledgeable motorsport fans
Old 7 Jan 2003, 15:08 (Ref:466373)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll most likely make the trip up for the 1000 this year, and i'll definatly attend the 24 hour again. You can never get enough of The Mountain.

Last edited by racer69; 7 Jan 2003 at 15:12.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 03:30 (Ref:466999)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marcus, last year we stayed at a motel in Orange, 40 minutes from Bathurst. It was a dump and very old. We paid $110 a night for a tiny little room with two single beds.

Moffman, I've never camped because it seems so uncivilised and I don't own any camping gear, buying some would negate any cost savings.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 15:47 (Ref:467429)   #10
moffman
Veteran

David you might have the initial outlay for the camping gear but if you intend to make a yearly pilgrimage to the mountain it will soon pay itself off. As far as it seeming uncivilised there are hot showers & toilets what more could you want!!!! Another point to consider is you can make a week of it camping as a lot of us do & your camping gear can be used for the 24hr race
Old 8 Jan 2003, 22:57 (Ref:467983)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Im not a fan of camping , I prefer the comforts of a real bed and a real roof so I wont be bunking down in the bush , $110 at Orange , wow could only imagine what its like if you can get a place in Bathurst then !!!!!
Old 8 Jan 2003, 23:30 (Ref:468019)   #12
moffman
Veteran

Well Marcus your best bet is to ring one of the pubs in bathurst but it will be very expensive (we paid $320 for a night for a 4 bedroom room as they charge per person). Went back to camping for the atmosphere & having good equipment i am as comfortable as i was in the pub anyway
Old 9 Jan 2003, 00:05 (Ref:468038)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bring back the Super Tourers!

The last time we went down in 98, we booked a room out near the track, slept 5 people, was relatively cheap, and most of the other rooms in the joint were booked out by teams!

But I'm buying a tent for the many trips out to Morgan Park this year. Just a cheap 2 man job, with the price of rooms, it'll pay for itself in 1/2 a night, and the weekend out at MP works out to be cheaper than a weekend at QR.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 02:12 (Ref:468103)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
hmmmmmmm , maybe camping isnt such a bad idea after all !!!!
Old 9 Jan 2003, 02:21 (Ref:468109)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I went to the Super Tourer Bathurst in '99. It was great, we stayed in a really nice motel near town and just paid regular prices.

Camping is OK for the young and fit, but most of my crew are old and feeble and it just isn't practical.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 05:10 (Ref:468150)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll keep that in mind and tell them you said that
Old 9 Jan 2003, 07:36 (Ref:468200)   #17
Pure GT
Racer

Pure GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there, again. I can still recall my first year on the mountain, just a kid and D.J. put the Greens Tuf XE into the tree's at the elbow. I didn't realise how steep the mountain was!
Old 9 Jan 2003, 08:07 (Ref:468214)   #18
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Tell 'em what you like Crash, they're all DEAF!
Old 9 Jan 2003, 08:25 (Ref:468228)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only been to the Mountain for a race meeting once, last years 24 Hours, but i'd probably be more inclined to camp. I suppose you could just do what i did for the 24 hour, head up the saturday, stay up all night watching the race, and that way no need for a tent, sleeping bag etc....all i had was my wallet and my mobile.

Not much help for the 1000 though is it One disadvantage to camping would be the so-called hoons on the mountain, but i'd guess there would be family camping area's. I suppose it also depends whether the government money would have done much to the top of the mountain by this October. Lucky thing for me is that if i'm stuck for shelter i've got a friend who attends (& therefore lives) at the uni next to the track.

Last edited by racer69; 9 Jan 2003 at 08:27.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 08:42 (Ref:468233)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends what you want to pay I suppose... the Victoria Hotel in Victoria St Bathurst, $35 per day including a cooked breakfast.... shared bathroom, shared shower, a bit on the old side, but its cheap, its clean, its on the quieter side of town, and its almost always fully booked so make a booking now
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Jan 2003, 11:34 (Ref:468326)   #21
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I won't camp at Bathurst. I like clean showers for starters.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 15:54 (Ref:468534)   #22
moffman
Veteran

The showers are usually spotless until about Thursday & last year they had cleaners up there everyday.The atmosphere makes up for any shortcomings with facilities.The so called hoons camp at Reid & Sulman & there is a family campground at the Chase
Old 9 Jan 2003, 22:44 (Ref:468927)   #23
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we still taking about Bathurst NSW??

Quote:
Originally posted by moffman
The showers are usually spotless until about Thursday & last year they had cleaners up there everyday.The atmosphere makes up for any shortcomings with facilities.The so called hoons camp at Reid & Sulman & there is a family campground at the Chase
The ablution blocks have remained the same for many years, totally inadequate. The last 3 years they have been filthy (digusting actually) once the crowd arrives after thurs. Cold water often featured. Lines of people trying to have a dump or take a shower. Someone mentioned "family" campsites - they don't exist - no matter where you are you risk being inconvenienced and offended by a group of inconsiderate hoons. David, if you want to get some sleep before your race I would not recommend camping and I'm happy to hear you ain't contemplating it.

Lets not try and romanticize or dress up the conditions at the mount eh they have a very very long way to go before being half way decent.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 04:29 (Ref:469148)   #24
moffman
Veteran

Geez you blokes are hard to please.I was up there 11 days last year & never had 1 cold shower (yes I showered everyday).I camp at McPhillamy & can honestly say that it has improved out of sight ever since they fenced it off & made people pay for their camping.I have never been hassled by hoons in the 12 years i have been camping at McPhillamy & have struck up some good friendships with other serial campers who are both polite & knowledgeable
Old 10 Jan 2003, 12:26 (Ref:469789)   #25
gsr
Racer

gsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their loss moffman ,think they should be called the marshmallows; a softer bunch of blokes i've never seen...