Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Jan 2003, 19:28 (Ref:471357)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet Another Pook Interview

Ecclestone has suggested that CART could function as a 'feeder series' but Pook, who took over the CART helm last year, saw the relationship between the championships as more free-flowing.

"Feeder series is a difficult marketing word to accept. I would like to say: 'Can we help in the development of Formula One drivers once in a while?' Absolutely, we'd love to.

"Can we help in the retirement process for Formula One drivers coming down the ladder? Absolutely, we'd love to.

"Are we going to be sending a new Formula One driver every year to Formula One? Absolutely not. If we send one every three or four years it would be outstanding.

"What is very good for us is if we do get a reputation for being a highly competitive series that can produce Formula One drivers then we are going to get a plethora of young hungry talent that's going to come and drive in our series."

Canadian Jacques Villeneuve, Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya and now Brazilian Cristiano da Matta have all won CART titles and progressed to the Formula One grid.

Pook said he would be delighted also to see Formula One return to the days of two or three races in America because it would be good for CART as well.

"It's like opening up a restaurant. If you are the only restaurant at the end of town, your chances of driving traffic are shaky," he said.

"If three or four guys open up with restaurants around you, the area gets a reputation and more people go there.

"I haven't discussed it with Bernard and that's his decision and I wouldn't stick my nose in there at all. But one thing that is important is to have a successful Formula One race in America, that's very important to us indeed."
Old 11 Jan 2003, 20:17 (Ref:471407)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I hope he's not referring to Long Beach.
That's CART territory now.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 22:49 (Ref:471497)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they should do a doubleheader... F1 on Saturday, CART on Sunday...
Old 11 Jan 2003, 23:03 (Ref:471517)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Barber, TransAm, Atlantic, ALMS, CART and F1.
Hold it over Memorial Day weekend.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 01:18 (Ref:471648)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS, CART and F1 all in one weekend, wouldn't that be fantastic
Old 12 Jan 2003, 01:22 (Ref:471653)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh man, they'd have to rent a barge to act as another paddock! Cart actually had a larger paddock in Montreal than F1 did...and I think ALMS requires similar space. TransAm, BDPS and Altantic together would be another huge paddock area... I suppose there's always empty parking lots around though.

One other thought...F1 and Cart have very different rules when it comes to the pitlane and paddock. I can't see any way you could accomodate both. Especially the whole pitwall deal Cart requires... unless the F1 guys wouldn't mind jumping over a little wall to get to the cars...hehe.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Jan 2003, 01:38 (Ref:471667)   #7
3state
Racer

3state should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the price for Pook talking to Bernie is Long Beach. Bernie clearly wants to bring cars there. What Pook seems to be suggesting is some kind of double billing, most likely at Long Beach. I think its a good thing. F1 and CART cars in the same weekend would be fantastic. Shame I can't easil get there...
Old 12 Jan 2003, 01:45 (Ref:471672)   #8
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by 3state
I think Shame I can't easil get there...
A lot of folks jump off fishing boats and freighters on the west coast all the time.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 02:01 (Ref:471682)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh great. Now Pook's trying to be a ****ing war profiteer.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 02:13 (Ref:471691)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
War profiteer? :confused:
Old 12 Jan 2003, 02:25 (Ref:471698)   #11
3state
Racer

3state should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey !As-de-mim! now there's an idea! Thanks for the tip!
Old 12 Jan 2003, 04:40 (Ref:471754)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still can't see F1 and Cart ever getting together for in a single race weekend without major changes. The series' just opporate too differently. It would be like having a hockey game at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, then having a Le Crosse game right after - on the ice! It just wouldn't work.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Jan 2003, 06:34 (Ref:471778)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
War profiteer? :confused:
I can't think of anything more descriptive for using the weakened position of the race series he controls to bring in a rival series with loads more money to a high-profile race he controls.

That is, if it's true that's what he's trying to do.

How the heck did Spa not happen? It was a golden opportunity, how could this not work out for both parties?

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid, but I'm getting more and more suspicious that the Pook plan is to sell the series to Bernie when the Concord agreement is voided (which will happen when Minardi and Jordan fold, right?).

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 12 Jan 2003 at 06:38.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 08:52 (Ref:471834)   #14
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As stated on these threads a couple months ago, it would be VERY expensive to bring Long Beach up to F1 standards. Can't remember an exact link, but seems like BE said $20 million. Pook floats these things and we're left to speculate on the forums about 'em. That keeps the buzz going but it's throwing a whole bunch of seeds in the air and when they hit the ground, see six months later if a tree is growing. Credible, for the moment at least, it's not.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 16:22 (Ref:472156)   #15
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Which one of Pook's seeds hasn't started a tree growing?
Old 12 Jan 2003, 19:31 (Ref:472343)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa may be back on the F1 schedule for 2004. There's a lot of work going on in Belgium right now to see if they can make that happen. I'm sure that's their first choice if they can pull it off. If not, there's always a chance CWS could get in there in 2004.