Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Feb 2003, 05:41 (Ref:500293)   #1
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands GP circuit

The Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford will race on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit on Monday, May 5 (a holiday in Britain), contrary to rumors suggesting that the event might be run on the facility's extended Grand Prix course instead. Champ Car President and CEO Chris Pook has left the door open for a move to the full circuit for next year, however.

"There are a couple of things that are challenging for us at Brands," Pook admitted. "The local planning council controls the number of events that are held on the long [GP] course; and there are some safety issues on the long course, including at least one place where the cars would be airborne.

"There is a great temptation, because everybody wants us to run the long course, but let's just be sensible about how we approach it. Let's do our race this year on the short course and see what comes out. I don't want to pre-judge the short course until we've completed one race."

-------------------------------------------------

O.K. the part I like the most is the possibility of running the long GP course in 2004. I would very much like to see that.

Old 8 Feb 2003, 08:37 (Ref:500361)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Am I correct when I suggest that the track and its promoters are broke, and the only way Brands will see upgrades is if somebody (Bernie) buys Octagon?

Last edited by macdaddy; 8 Feb 2003 at 08:38.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 08:54 (Ref:500371)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Octagon are in trouble, but they havent gone broke i dont think......Track changes are being done right now , so that may help the cause for a race on the GP loop in 2004.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 09:31 (Ref:500389)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART will most likely race on the full circuit in 2004 if construction is complete. I agree, from a safety aspect, why the ChampCars are not using it this year. Going through Dingle-Dell would be almost suicidal for a ChampCar side-by-side...
Old 8 Feb 2003, 13:31 (Ref:500587)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
As far as I'm aware, the car's will no longer be airbourne at Dingle Dell (*sniffs*) - that's a bit that the changes will incorportate. Here's hoping all will be done for next year so all safety worries are also rid-off!
Old 8 Feb 2003, 16:20 (Ref:500666)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good call by the Cart organizers then! There's no way the suspension on those cars could tolerate going airborne. Once four wheels are off the ground, you can pretty much guarantee something will break.

I can really understand the frustration of the locals in seeing what is a wonderful track altered, but if they want to host a race for Champcars (or F1) some changes are essential for safety. In some ways, if they care about the track that much, it might be better Cart head elsewhere.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Feb 2003, 20:45 (Ref:500847)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PT has proven that CART cars can go airborn.

I remember Moore @ portland getting airborn...who else? (surfers doesn't count)

Last edited by Snrub; 8 Feb 2003 at 20:53.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 21:02 (Ref:500863)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup.. any examples of Champ cars getting airborne and not having suspension damage though?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Feb 2003, 21:26 (Ref:500878)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think its fair to say that they would have have to take a fair bashing on the suspension every lap through Dingle dell chicane !.....anyway , its too late to worry about that now .......as far as i gather from what Stephen Green has said , Dingledell has already been altered now , so whats done is done .