Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Aug 2000, 11:13 (Ref:29283)   #1
F1FansClub
Racer

F1FansClub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reported on ITV-F1's web site is the following -

Alesi and Jaguar to form F1's odd couple?

Jean Alesi has been in talks with Jaguar about a possible surprise move to the team for 2001.

The 36-year-old French-Sicilian is contracted to the Prost team for next year, but Alesi's friend and former team-mate Alain Prost is looking to sell the outfit that bears his name.

If Prost does sell up Alesi will look to move from the beleaguered French outfit. Alesi, who is due to continue racing in Hungary on Sunday despite abdominal pains brought on by his crash in the German GP, has also been in talks with Sauber and BAR about next season.

Alesi says he will remain at Prost if the team continues under the Frenchman’s ownership. But Prost is thought to be close to severing his links with his team after a nightmarish season.

Offering Alesi a drive may seem an odd move for Jaguar, but the deal could make sense for the Ford-owned team. Johnny Herbert is off to ChampCars at the end of this season after a poor year and there is a distinct lack of alternatives.

Dario Franchitti was disappointingly slow in his recent test and test driver Luciano Burti has yet to show the kind of pace that would challenge the team's number one Eddie Irvine.

Alesi in the most experienced driver in the field and is as motivated and as quick as ever.

"These teams are looking for an experienced driver," said Alesi. "but if Alain continues I will stay with him. If he sells the team I will be on the market. At the moment I am just waiting [for Alain]."

What do think about that? Should he retire or move to Jag? I think he should let the younger generation have a go at Jag and he should maybe retire. He is getting on now!

Ally

Old 9 Aug 2000, 11:51 (Ref:29293)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nooooo! Jean, don't do it!

The Jaguar, whether we like it or not, is going to be having another development year*

This is not the kind of environment where Alesi flourishes. Quick, someone please give him a sports car contract for 2001. He's still young at 36. He can carve out a whole endurance racing career for himself yet. I'd far rather see Jean Alesi as the Next Henri Pescarolo, rather than the Next Chris Amon.

* "development year" should be translated as "Oh, God, what's gone wrong THIS week?"
Old 9 Aug 2000, 11:52 (Ref:29295)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be fun to see Eddie end his career the way he began it - by being punched in the mouth! We can only hope Alesi would punch him on TV.

I think Alesi will retire and drive sports cars, with the aid and assistance of his good friend Gerhard Berger. He will be brilliant at that and will win Le Mans and everyone will forget he was at Prost.

Short answer: No. Alesi wouldn't sign with Jaguar.
Old 9 Aug 2000, 13:42 (Ref:29315)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I would hate to see Alesi waste another year by moving to Jaguar.

If anywhere I would dearly love to see him at Jordan, but since that's not going to happen then I think he should return to Sauber.
Old 9 Aug 2000, 14:34 (Ref:29336)   #5
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's get him to talk to Johnny - he can tell him all about the Jaguar team and CART too... Let's hope that we see Zanardi, Alesi and Herbert in CART next year...
Old 9 Aug 2000, 15:44 (Ref:29353)   #6
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddi can play his strange presentation of himself and earn money for this game. Maybe his playboy image helps Ford to sell cars. But it's better for Alesi to go on advertising "Elsev" (Lóreal Shampoo) than join to Eddi in his sales promotion action. Today I know two excellent team for driver who dream of spoiling his career: Jaguar and BAR.
Old 9 Aug 2000, 17:21 (Ref:29368)   #7
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
not gonna happen. not now, not next season, not ever.
jaguar doesn't want to become the sentimental favorite.

burti is going to take the seat. and he's going to laugh at irv as he passes him on the outside.

Old 9 Aug 2000, 22:35 (Ref:29448)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Burti have a good left hook?