Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Mar 2003, 10:44 (Ref:535892)   #1
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentley will be sensational

When news first broke of the Bentley fiasco regarding the height of their diffusers, I was incensed to learn that a team with so much human and technological quality aboard could get their times disallowed by making such a basic error. But Hey, Maybe it is not such a bad thing after all can you imagine the thrill of the raace now when they have to come from the rear of the field, and they do have a full twelve hours to do it. Because of their superiority as far as their men and machines are concerned I have no doubt that they will aquit themselves of this past mistake in a way that will have even me forgiving them.
They have certainly given us something to look forward to.

COME ON JOHNNY
Old 14 Mar 2003, 12:22 (Ref:535969)   #2
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should be one heck of a race... pity we won't see any of it in the uk
Old 14 Mar 2003, 12:39 (Ref:535984)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Over 12 hours, starting from the back won't be much of a hindrance.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 12:54 (Ref:536009)   #4
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only one wondering why the scrutineers didn't pick this up BEFORE qualifying? Or is this another case of someone being penalised for clouting a kerb too hard?
Old 14 Mar 2003, 14:01 (Ref:536077)   #5
Cobra
Racer

Exactly it should have been picked up.
But then again by the sound of their confident tones up to now maybe it was by design after all to generate more interest. If that is the case then I hope that they know a few more tricks because the more interest that is generated the closer we will be to seeing it on our TV screens.
Terrible thing if it backfired though. ouch!!!
Old 14 Mar 2003, 14:30 (Ref:536108)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think so Cobra. It's a shame, but i bet it was a case of misreading the rules. I believe that it says 150mm as the max height, and before in 2002 it was clear that no part of the difuser may be above that height, but no maybe that clarity has been lost, or the IMSA took something attached to the difuser to be part of the difuser, and counted it in the height measurements. In any case, it's probably a case of bently not being thorough enough when it read the rules.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 15:03 (Ref:536138)   #7
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grid podition wont matter a great deal although it will cause problems for Bentley in the opening laps as they will need to overtake many slower cars, if they can stay out of trouble and avoid damage they should be in with a great chance, especially if they can show similar for to that in qualifying.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 16:09 (Ref:539059)   #8
Cobra
Racer

Having not actually seen any footage of the race at Sebring I can't really say how exciting a race it was for the fans. But, what an achievement it was by the Bentley Boys to come from right at the back of the field to finish in 3rd and 4th place it must have been a thrilling 12 hours.
What I can't understand is that while the race was taking place, the television in England was showing gardening programmes. The races are not on that often and surely it would be of benefit to both the television stations (as regards viewing figures) and sporting fans to show at least an hour of the highlights of the race.
To get back to the race though if the Bentley drivers had not have had to battle their way from the back of the field I believe that Audi would not have enjoyed the success that they did.Admittedly Audi spent more time in the pits but that must bode well for Bentley and give them that extra bit of confidence in their machines come the big day at Le Mans, Well done boys super drive, super car.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 16:22 (Ref:539073)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Flag to mods: If you think I've overstepped by putting these photos up, do as you must.

As far as looks are concerned, I'm still unconvinced.

As I said before, the previous versions appealed to me much more. I've found another nit to pick: the wing.

I'm not crazy with how the rear wing is connected. It looks like an afterthought. The uprights in particular just don't look right. Perhaps for Le Mans they'll go with a lower profile?

For comparison:

http://www.dailysportscar.net/alms/s...smonday23a.jpg
(from dailysportscar's coverage of Sebring, photo by Regis Lefebure)

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/BMWAG.jpg

(from Mulsanne Mike's website)

Last edited by paul-collins; 17 Mar 2003 at 16:23.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Mar 2003, 16:33 (Ref:539087)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynic
Am I the only one wondering why the scrutineers didn't pick this up BEFORE qualifying? Or is this another case of someone being penalised for clouting a kerb too hard?
It happends some time in Le Mans too : cars are OK before starting, and problems arise after few laps or a particular effort... remember the Jaguar tanks in 1995 (was it 1995 ? or 1996 ?)
Old 17 Mar 2003, 16:45 (Ref:539101)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No Jags in 95. It was the catalytic converters (or rather the lack of them) which caused their disqualification from the GT class win in 1993. But they did know about that before the race. Jaguar argued that they were running to IMSA spec - the scrutineers said they still had to have cats on their cats. I don't think Walkinshaw could be bothered to protest the decision after the race - his car won a moral victory anyway.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 16:48 (Ref:539112)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry Ayse, but what do you think of the PC Automotive Jaguar XJ 220 N° 57 driven by Weaver and the N°58 driven by Percy ? They didn't finished, they're not concerned by my post above, which was about the 93 Jaguars indeed...

Last edited by Fab; 17 Mar 2003 at 16:51.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 17:00 (Ref:539141)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Damn, sorry you are absolutely right Fab. How did I forget them!

Bit I didn't know they had problems with the rules? Tell me more.....
Old 17 Mar 2003, 18:02 (Ref:539212)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Damn, sorry you are absolutely right Fab. How did I forget them!

Bit I didn't know they had problems with the rules? Tell me more.....
Well... I was wrong for that

The 93' Jags were disqualified for non conform exhausts to IMSA rules.

In 95, the cars were OK but the 58 went out of the track and the 57 blew the engine...

So : duce !
Old 17 Mar 2003, 18:34 (Ref:539255)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aha - we'll call it even then, Monsieur 4-Star!