Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 27 Mar 2003, 19:39 (Ref:550344)   #1
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Gollop Metro 6R4 facts/specs

Will gollop Metro 6R4:

The naturally aspirated Metro 6R4 will drove from 1987 produced 435-450bhp. This was generated froma 3 litre V64V engine. At the time the identical rally car version produced 380bhp.

The twin turbo was then built which reduced the capacity of the car down to 2.3 litres. This gave a conversion factor of 1.7 for turbos, giving the engine a total capacity of 4 litres. This had to be done as it determined the weight limit in the european championship. In order to reduce the capacity new crank, rods, pistons and liners were made. The smaller engine was caoable of reving to 11,000 rpm where as the three litre version could only rev to 9,000rpm.

There for in theory 800bhp could be produced from the twin turbo motor. If this had been done then it would have been so unreliable and unusable in the Metro. It was therefore taken that the engine had to develop a maximum of 650bhp to be produced consistantly over a period. Cliff Humphreys who built the engine said that it would produce a flat power curve, as Gollop wanted to be able to rev past peak power if conditions varied.

A curve line was produced on the final bi turbo engine which gace a range from 7000 rpm to 9000rpm. This made the engine pretty driveable, which was developed using 1.2 bar boost which could be switched to 1.5 when racing got underway.

This gave the bi turbo metro a top speed of 120mph. A lot of work had to go into the transmission for the car as it was to weak to cope with this power which resulted in Xtrac completely redesigning new components on numeorus occasions.

On the normally apsirated machine a 3:4:1 ratio with a 1:5:1 step was used on the differential which gave the car a top speed of 110mph. Therefore this a requirment that was needed to change for the bi turbo version, as the bi turbo would not suit many circutis therefore the configuration would need to change at every event.

As it was four litres then the car had to weigh 1100kgs. therefore 100kg was needed to be added back in 1989. This was why Gollop built the 2.3 bi turbo as a 3 litre turbo had massive weight penaltys which would mean it would be uncompetitive.

It was a nightmare for him to fit the engine as everything had to be moved to different postions in the car as it was lot bigger and there wasnt to much space to fit everything in.

The British championship didnt have a weight limit back then which in theory Gollop could have a run a 800bhp metro at 800kg but he wasnt stupid as it would have been far to dangerous. This is a classic example of stupid British rules again in Rallycross.

The car went from 0-60 in 2.5 seconds.

I have a torque to Brake horse power graph compared to the revs it produced of Gollops 6R4 if anybody wants a copy of it emailing some time.

Arne Rausmaughens car was built to 2.8 litres and this was a bi turbo machine. But this meant that it had to run to 1235kgs which was 135kg's heavier than gollops version which didnt make it to competitve.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 20:36 (Ref:550391)   #2
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter please send the graph to me please!
Old 27 Mar 2003, 20:37 (Ref:550394)   #3
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to have seen a 800bhp 800kg metro. Not as stupid as it sounds. Remember an F1 car or the same period weighed 505kg with the same power!
Old 28 Mar 2003, 02:12 (Ref:550650)   #4
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a problem Rob, i will send it across either tommorow or saturday depending on when i am not at Uni.....as i will have to scan it into the computer.

I will refrain from calling the Group B cars dinosours as i guess this may be your final year to admire them in action in the British champs.

I have quite a lot of information on Gollops Peugeot 309 and 306 which i will post some time if anyone is interested....let me know
Old 28 Mar 2003, 10:18 (Ref:550862)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard that Humphries did actually wind it up once on the dyno and the chart ran out at 900hp.
Reckon Will must used the boost knob in that Squibb/Palmer manouevere. I was there and he just rocketed past them like they were standing still. Brilliant.
Apparently the car is stil around in sprints and hillclimbs somewhere??
Old 6 Oct 2009, 06:00 (Ref:2554915)   #6
Phillip rallycross
Rookie

South Africa
South africa Pretoria
Phillip rallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Pieter s

Will you post some information on the 309 peugot as you said above?
Old 6 Oct 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2555088)   #7
Lancaster09
Rookie

Lancaster09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Apparently the car is stil around in sprints and hillclimbs somewhere??
Ken Sims regularly competes at Shelsley Walsh hillclimb with it.

What would be interesting is to have Ken and Will double drive it at an event there.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2555342)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have seen footage of teh Sims car

Seems such a waste really, but brilliant that it is still largely in the state it eneded life, unlike most GpB rallycross cars that have been converted back to rally spec to make money
Old 14 Dec 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2599346)   #9
KAM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
KAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip rallycross View Post
Hi Pieter s

Will you post some information on the 309 peugot as you said above?
Would be interesting though this is a rather old thread. The 309 is currently owned by my brother though the old engine and running gear was stripped out for the 306 so its getting honda s2000 running gear. Should be running next year.

K
Old 14 Dec 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2599433)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ken Simms has disappeared off the scene of late - not sure of the reason, and I hope he returns as he's a lovely bloke and an exciting driver.

On the other hand, the vehicle has taken some damage in his possession. I personally reunited it with its door, front wheel and various other parts after a meeting with the Bottom Ess sleepers. It's visited other parts of the scenery too, notably the hedge before the first proper corner...

I should be able to find some photos on one or two websites of it in action on hillclimbs. I'll post some links if I can.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2599691)   #11
MESHGA
Racer

MESHGA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAM View Post
Would be interesting though this is a rather old thread. The 309 is currently owned by my brother though the old engine and running gear was stripped out for the 306 so its getting honda s2000 running gear. Should be running next year.

K
Ive seen stuff on this before ! last i know and Will did too was the car was taken off Wills hands by a guy i know from the old days of Production rallycross and was scraped so have no idea how its still about? I have seen its having a Honda power unit installed when it was on EBAY!!
From Will himself the car wasnt good!! Was built to the rules but others read them differently so hence not as quick as rivals
But Mr G put that right the next year didnt he
Old 14 Dec 2009, 21:23 (Ref:2599711)   #12
shhh
Veteran

Ireland
shhh has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAM View Post

K

http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/68...ycross-belgium
Old 15 Dec 2009, 06:59 (Ref:2599942)   #13
Kevin McCann
Rookie

England
Cranleigh Surrey
Kevin McCann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks

What a nice way to start the day....with a wry smile! Thanks shhh, merry xmas and new year to all.
Old 5 Sep 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3131685)   #14
wlio01
Rookie

United Kingdom
Peterborough
wlio01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gollop's 6R4??????

Does anyone know the current whereabouts of Will's Silkolene 6R4?

Would love to get some action shots, brings back so many GREAT memories.

Ian
Old 6 Sep 2012, 06:51 (Ref:3131795)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
A bloke caled Ken Sim or Sims uses it occasionally for hillclimbs, I ahve seen footage of t on youtube being used.

Seems to be in a similar spec to what it was, but runs much lower to the ground.

It is red and white?

there are a few ex rallycross cars around still, but most hav been converted back to Group B cars as they worth far more that way. Hence you wont find any 205's, RS200's really.
Old 7 Sep 2012, 10:16 (Ref:3132427)   #16
Jim H
Rookie

Jim H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJim H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These are the said YouTube video's, taken at least 5 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpGr0OF_-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDsKHFPwHQ8

I've found this thread, on a Hillclimb forum asking the same question: uphillracers.com - Whatever Happened To..
Old 11 Sep 2012, 18:52 (Ref:3134371)   #17
IpsRX
Rookie

IpsRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
A bloke caled Ken Sim or Sims uses it occasionally for hillclimbs, I ahve seen footage of t on youtube being used.

Seems to be in a similar spec to what it was, but runs much lower to the ground.

It is red and white?

there are a few ex rallycross cars around still, but most hav been converted back to Group B cars as they worth far more that way. Hence you wont find any 205's, RS200's really.

The Ex Will Gollop car was bought from Will by Ken Sims who used it on hillclimbs for several years, but sadly Ken passed away earlier this year