Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2003, 19:46 (Ref:551444)   #1
Rafael
Racer

Brazil
Brasilia, Brazil
Rafael should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1993' Brazilian GP

Today (March 28), the 93' Brazilian GP is completing 10 years. It was a great race, with a great exhibition of Senna and Schumacher. Also it was special for me, cos that was the first GP I watched on TV.

Let's do a flashback:

Prost did the pole-position, ahead 1 second of Hill, and this one ahead almost 1 second of Senna. Ivan Capelli DNQ make him be fired from Jordan. In another bad year for Ferrari, Alesi qualified only 9th and Berger, 13th on grid, collided with Andretti on the first curve in a spetacular accident.
Senna started better than Hill, and carried the 2nd place until the 11 lap, when Hill overtook Senna. Prost leaded calmly.
Some laps after, Senna has punished with a Stop-n-go (He overtook Comas under the yellow flag) and was down to 4th place. On the 21 lap the rain started, and became a storm at the 26. Senna changed his tyres, as did Hill on the next lap. This pit-stop caused the Prost abandon, cos he continued on track and collided with Fittipaldi at the first curve. The crowd went wild!
The safety car went to the track, for the first time on F1 history, and 2 laps after his exit, Senna overtook Hill at the middle curves and has gone to the victory, his second at his home place, and the only one he had phisical conditions to commemorate with his countrymen, that invaded the track like happens on Monza.
And on the podium, he received the trophy by Fangio... what a memorable race! And my first one. I couldn't have started my vicious in a better way!

But there is something that I can't remember. What happened to Schumacher, that made him go back and do a brilliant recuperation race, only taking the 3rd place of Herbert and Lotus on the last laps?

So, what do you think about this race, that completes 10 years today? Formula 1 was better that time?
Old 28 Mar 2003, 20:16 (Ref:551478)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that was the first race i watched on Eurosport tv station......BBC wasnt showing it live and my girlfriend's parents had satellite which could get Eurosport......so i gate crashed there house and made them all watch the GP.

The main point of the race for me was Herberts superb drive in the Lotus , and him and Schumacher having a good fight for for 4th place i think .

Last edited by Sato san; 28 Mar 2003 at 20:25.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 22:32 (Ref:551614)   #3
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: 1993' Brazilian GP

Quote:
Originally posted by Rafael
But there is something that I can't remember. What happened to Schumacher, that made him go back and do a brilliant recuperation race, only taking the 3rd place of Herbert and Lotus on the last laps?
Didn't he get a 10s stop-go for passing someone under yellow?

Alesi received a penalty for something similar and ended up finishing 8th behind Alliot (having been on the lead lap when the safety car was out).
Old 29 Mar 2003, 09:23 (Ref:551926)   #4
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he had a dodgy pitstop.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 09:33 (Ref:551932)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alex Zanardi's first race in the Lotus, and only his 5th ever (3 at Jordan in '91, 1 at Minardi in '92), resulted in a 6th place finish and his first World Championship point.

It is a travesty that it was his only one.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 11:18 (Ref:552011)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ummm I believe Alex actually crashed out of that race after a collision with Damon Hill's Williams.

It was a strange race , plenty of cars got left on the grid after some sort of problem ,Hill had a big spin at turn two , Senna, Prost and Schumacher had an awesome race until Schumacher tried to overtake senna and promtly spun , and then the rain storm at the end of it which was a part of the early 93 season.

was a very good race which I have on tape somewhere and now I will have to hunt it out and give it a watch again.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 11:19 (Ref:552012)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh , hang on I got confused with the South African GP , please excuse me while my brain gets into gear
Old 30 Mar 2003, 12:48 (Ref:552876)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Berger/Andretti stack was a major one.

It was a good drive by Hill, considering it was still one of his early GP's, but considering how superior his car was, he probably shouldn't have had it.

Amazing that a rain shower back then added to a race as much as it does now.