Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Apr 2003, 13:35 (Ref:574760)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Driver of the Year - Q1

INDIANAPOLIS (April 19, 2003) – With three consecutive victories to start the 2003 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford season, Paul Tracy has set the Champ Car series aflame as he chases his first series championship.

That flame spread like a wildfire through all other divisions of racing in the first three months of the season and when the smoke cleared, Tracy was the lone tree standing as the Champ Car series leader was named as the winner of the national Driver of the Quarter award by the Legends Marketing Group.

The award, which has been in existence for 36 years, goes to the top driver among all racing series and inserts the Canadian driver as one of the four candidates to win the Driver of the Year award, which went to series champion Cristiano da Matta in 2002.

“I’m extremely honored to have been selected, especially when you look at all the other drivers who were nominated,” said Tracy. “It’s also rewarding because it takes into account all the major racing series in North America and because fans have their say in the voting. It’s been a terrific start to the season not only for myself, but also for the Champ Car World Series with three great events. I cant’ say enough about the support that Team Player’s has shown me since I joined and I’m happy that I was able to put together a string of victories this early in the season as we strive to bring a championship title back to Canada.”

Tracy was chosen ahead of such nominees as Daytona 500 winner Michael Waltrip, NASCAR Winston Cup points leader Matt Kenseth, IRL race winner Tony Kanaan and NHRA Top Fuel rookie Brandon Bernstein who won two of the first three national events this year after taking over for his famous father Kenny Bernstein.

The Driver of the Year title is unique because it is the only award that encompasses all of the racing series in the United States and fan participation. A panel of 18 leading journalists from across the U.S. and a fan vote on Speedtv.com determine the winner.

In recognition of this honor Tracy will receive a trophy and a Maurice Lacroix Swiss watch.

In addition to Tracy’s award being announced Saturday night on SPEED Channel, the ceremony where da Matta was officially given the 2002 Driver of the Year award will be broadcast Sunday night on SPEED Channel. The award was given in conjunction with the induction ceremonies for the International Motorsports Hall of Fame, where former Champ Car title winner and current team owner Emerson Fittipaldi was added to the list of racing luminaries in the Talladega museum.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 14:19 (Ref:574801)   #2
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy DEFINATELY deservrd this. I hope he can continue to do well... but not necessarily by winning every race!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 17:24 (Ref:574959)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravo PT! Glad to see my vote went to the winner.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 20 Apr 2003, 18:40 (Ref:574997)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Explaining momentum he said, "You have to take advantage of it when it comes. Because when good luck is shining upon you – and things are going right – if you don’t take advantage of it, then you’re a fool. I can’t say enough about the support that Team Player’s has shown me since I joined and I’m happy that I was able to put together a string of victories this early in the season."

1st Place Votes:
9 - Paul Tracy
5 - Matt Kenseth (#1 for fan voting)
3 - Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 08:31 (Ref:575392)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to PT he certainly derserves the award.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 17:29 (Ref:575769)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy has been the most dominating driver in all series, so he deserves it.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 19:03 (Ref:575836)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kudos to PT and the team. They definitely deserve the recognition.
Never forget #99
Old 22 Apr 2003, 03:23 (Ref:576081)   #8
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news for Paul. Things really seem to be comming together for him this year. What a change after the way last year ended for him.