Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Aug 2000, 02:10 (Ref:32435)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
OK Guys, this is the ultimate starting tactic. You are in one of the two top teams (Ferrari or McLaren), and you qualify third. Your team mate qualifies second. The opposition is on pole and his team mate is next to you. This is the likely scenario at Spa this weekend anyway. How will you start? How do you expect your team mate to start? How do you expect your opponent to start? In other words, how do we expect the start to go at Spa? I will give my starting tactic later after you guys have a go first.
Old 24 Aug 2000, 02:44 (Ref:32442)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good topic, but rather vague. Who is my teammate? Who is the opposition? Who is starting 4th? These are all very important questions that would influence your starting strategy.

If you want to gain a place regardless of where you are starting from you will have to go to the outside and outbrake your rival. If you go to the inside you will be caught out by congestion at the apex.

Also, although many drivers have plans for the start, everything goes out the window once the lights go out. If you can gain a place doing something else than your plan, screw the plan.

But, in general, go for the outside of La Source.
Old 24 Aug 2000, 10:26 (Ref:32476)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Pardon my vagueness

OK, I'll set the scene. I am in Mika's shoes on third spot behind TGF. TGF is on pole, DC is next to him, and Rubens is alongside me and behind DC. This could actually be how the grid will end up after quals.
So, if TGF gets a good start and swerves across in front of DC, I would go slightly in the opposite direction and try to keep ahead of Rubens and at the same time try to jump both TGF and DC, or at least DC.
On the other hand, if DC gets the better of TGF and swerves across towards TGF, I would go straight and try to jump all three of them.
What I am trying to do is second guess how each of the guys in the front two rows will react when the lights go out.
Am I making any sense?? Sometimes I am the only person who understands me!!! Sometimes I sound like a Danish joke. What do you guys think??
Old 24 Aug 2000, 17:58 (Ref:32541)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, I think it's a good question to ask. Lately, we have seen some pretty impressive starts from Mika when he's been on the second row of the grid. So he ought to just keep on doing what he has been doing at those starts, should he be on the second row again. Let TGF and DC swerve across each other as much as they like, go for the empty space, and take the lead!
Old 24 Aug 2000, 21:43 (Ref:32564)   #5
f1ciamp
Rookie

f1ciamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by R
Lately, we have seen some pretty impressive starts from

ummmmmm. looks like mika and jv (vilnuevve ,not jos verstappen!) had some small talk lately!
Old 25 Aug 2000, 00:20 (Ref:32592)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Agreed - do a Damon, around the outside at La Source. Get the power on early and you're away.

Old 25 Aug 2000, 20:14 (Ref:32765)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Funny, M-Fan, before I even read the messages I would've said that! When he made that start, my dad said, "Bad start by Damon" and then he took the lead...
Old 25 Aug 2000, 20:55 (Ref:32777)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques Villeneuve did the same thing in 1998 on the first start. He started 6th and went around the outside totake second or the lead. We didn't see what happened after that as everyone behind the front two cars decided to crash into each other.
Old 27 Aug 2000, 02:20 (Ref:32991)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Still interesting

This is still an intrigueing situation. I think that Bunsen should simply concentrate on going straight because I don't think that Jarno will try to swerve to cut Mika off, so he may just as well follow Mika to and through the corner and see if he can pinch second spot from Jarno. Mika, I suspect, will simply blast straight off the line, hoping that TGF will not be able to jump him from the second row. Jarno will follow the Damon Hill procedure, run wide and see if he can end up in the lead.