Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 30 May 2003, 11:13 (Ref:614618)   #1
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Days of Thunder, 8th June

This looks like being another bumper event. Max Papis, the Pop groups Bjorn and The HoneyZ; will this be another 40,000 crowd? I know I'll be there. The pickup trucks have a new tyre so that could be even more fun.
Old 30 May 2003, 19:51 (Ref:615167)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
huh?
Old 30 May 2003, 20:07 (Ref:615182)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
yeh its shapin up really good...its gonna be great
Old 30 May 2003, 21:34 (Ref:615258)   #4
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to be there-tell them to change the date for a week later please and I might be able to make it!
Old 1 Jun 2003, 11:05 (Ref:616607)   #5
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bjorn Again and the Honeyz? Guess I'll need my industrial strength ear defenders and some X-Ray specs! ;-)

Same day as the BTCC down the A43 at Silverstone. I'll be impressed if we get 40,000+ for ASCAR.
Old 1 Jun 2003, 11:40 (Ref:616622)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Ahhh... Ascar! I guess it could only have been Ascar with a topic title like that!

I can't imagine the Halfords offer would help improve the size of crowd at Rockingham.
Old 1 Jun 2003, 16:00 (Ref:616834)   #7
Muppet
Racer

Isn't the Halfords offer only through The Sun newspaper? Maybe they'll get lost on their way to Silverstone and end up at Rockingham anyway!!! ;-)

I heard the May 11th ASCAR meeting was full of screaming teenies. At least the ASCAR V8 engines will drown most of that out....
Old 1 Jun 2003, 16:15 (Ref:616853)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Nope... they're plugging it for all they're worth! I was stood in the Thruxton pitlane and some promo girl came up and asked if I'd like some free tickets - now I know I'm an attractive bloke () but I presume they were offering tickets to everyone else in the crowd too. They've been advertising it in the stores and in Autosport too. With 50,000 free tickets to give away I'd guess it's gonna be kinda busy at Silverstone!
Old 1 Jun 2003, 17:08 (Ref:616909)   #9
Muppet
Racer

I guess that's better than the tumbleweed blowing across the spectator areas at the BRDC 75th meeting last week! ;-)

It seemed as though Octopus didn't want anyone to know the event existed. They missed some great racing. Oh well...

It's good news that high street names are pushing for big crowds at these meetings, whether it's ASCAR or BTCC. Get the people in. Put on a good show and encourage them back in the future... just don't overcharge them!
Old 1 Jun 2003, 17:28 (Ref:616920)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Couldn't agree more. I've been watching some old season review videos this past weekend and one thing is noticeable - the size of the crowd compared to nowadays. Someone - don't care who - needs to do something about this and start getting more people back through the doors.
Old 1 Jun 2003, 22:48 (Ref:617259)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
reducing the number of clashes would be a very good idea. another one of major note is the f3 at castle combe and the btcc at rockingham. granted, castle combe is the knockhill of the south what with no garages, and the fact it's a bit rural, but they could expect a bigger crowd if we didn't have to choose.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 05:22 (Ref:617395)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Absolutely. A quick look at the Ascar calendar, too, will reveal EVERY round held at Rockingham clashes with a major race somewhere else in the UK! Duh!
Old 2 Jun 2003, 08:51 (Ref:617490)   #13
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...a reason why I have missed every round so far!
Old 3 Jun 2003, 00:39 (Ref:618600)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm wondering whether they did this on purpose to save us from the nonsense that is ascar though?
Old 3 Jun 2003, 05:14 (Ref:618785)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Very possible, B... I was gonna give Ascar another go this year just to see if it had improved but I was elsewhere every time it was on. Which I'm quite glad about if they've got bands such as Honeyz and Busted (!) playing...!
Old 4 Jun 2003, 21:22 (Ref:621112)   #16
Muppet
Racer

Castle Combe always seems to pack in the crowds for the F3/GT meetings. There is big local promotion and John Guest Speedfit have a large presence. It's a fun meeting to do and is very popular with the marshals... there's hundreds of them! ;-)

I like ASCAR. They look and sound like proper racing cars (IMO)... but yes, I'm annoyed at having to choose between that and DTM on July 27th.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 21:40 (Ref:621142)   #17
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Muppet
I like ASCAR. They look and sound like proper racing cars (IMO)... but yes, I'm annoyed at having to choose between that and DTM on July 27th.
And the Spa 24hrs mate!

Looking forward to Combe at the end of the month.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 21:53 (Ref:621161)   #18
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
And the Spa 24hrs mate!
Ohh yes, let me think about it for a moment, ASCAR, DTM or Spa 24 with chips, mayo and beer in the paddock (and a car full of cheap booze on the way home)...ohh gee it's a tough one

Last edited by Piglet; 4 Jun 2003 at 21:54.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 21:56 (Ref:621167)   #19
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing you forgot. FRICADELLES!
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:04 (Ref:621179)   #20
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And chocolate waffles....
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:08 (Ref:621187)   #21
jase
Veteran

Perhaps this should be a different thread.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:12 (Ref:621192)   #22
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
Perhaps this should be a different thread.
It probably should be but you can only rave about the delights of Spa so it might be quite short. When did you last hear someone raving about the delights of the paddock at Silverstone or Rockingham(apart from the Hot Wheels girls of course!!!)
Old 5 Jun 2003, 17:30 (Ref:622059)   #23
Muppet
Racer

Piglet, Jason,

Please send over a chocolate coated waffle, fricadelle, mayo coated chips or anything that I can stuff in my ears to protect me from listening to spotty pre-teen boy/girl bands or ABBA/70s tribute bands at the next ASCAR meeting!!!! ;-)

So you're gonna have TWO Spa trips within 5 weeks? Have you guys won the lottery?
Old 5 Jun 2003, 18:00 (Ref:622079)   #24
jase
Veteran

No lotto win, just a big load on the credit card
Old 7 Jun 2003, 08:49 (Ref:623664)   #25
Piglet
Veteran

...and if you offset the savings on the bootfull of cheap booze, food and washing powder (did you know quite how sad I am??!) you can almost convince yourself that you're saving money by going - well I can anyway!

Seriously, the place we stay near to Spa is really cheap as well - you should try it.