Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Jun 2003, 21:31 (Ref:623277)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who Do You Like At Laguna??

With a little over a week from the annual visit to Laguna Seca, who do you like there and why??

It has always been one of my favorite races for the Champ Cars...

I like Patrick Carpentier....

I'll just sit back and read some responses....then I'll tell you "why Carpentier"

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Jun 2003, 23:52 (Ref:623438)   #2
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Carpentier, too
That's a pretty good pick, Tim. Don't discount guys like Bruno or Michel or PT..."the vets". It'll be interesting to see how the new guys fare (especially, Bourdais).
Here are some of the finishes from last year(to the best of my diary's knowledge ):
Bruno, 4th
Patrick, 5th
Jimmy, 8th
Michel, 9th
Tag, 10th

Last edited by MLM; 6 Jun 2003 at 23:55.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 00:04 (Ref:623451)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna...it's a nice track, looks like it'd be a lot of fun to drive.... but from the point of view of a fan that watches that race on TV, I don't really like the track that much, because it's produced a lot of boring races of late.

It's a tough call this weekend...I think PT, Pat, Bourdais, Tags, Michel and Bruno are all in the running for the win. Qualifying is huge for this one though, so...I think PT and Bourdais would be the bets IMO.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Jun 2003, 01:02 (Ref:623507)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PT - Laguna generally pays experience and PT has won here before. I think Vasser has a good shot here too. Maybe his best at a win during the entire season.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 01:09 (Ref:623510)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't Jimmy in a Reynard???

That can't help him on a road circuit, but I do like him as a driver...

Old 7 Jun 2003, 01:14 (Ref:623514)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario! Mario! Mario!

I think Tracy will strike back this weekend.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 01:26 (Ref:623521)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Could you be more specific with that first one?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Jun 2003, 01:30 (Ref:623526)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bourdais, but PT should be back in form.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 01:35 (Ref:623529)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I like the picks...now why I like Patrick...

He has been working his way up the standings in each race, and at least has been consistent enough to now sit in fifth in the overall points...

I agree that experience is a key at Laguna....he obviously has it, as do othr CART regulars, but his steady improvement will spell a breakout in this race for the win....

He's too go dand that team is too good for him not to show well...now the fact that Paul is also with them could be a problem for him...

Old 7 Jun 2003, 03:08 (Ref:623543)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Players could end up doing a 1-2. PT will want to win to regain the ascendency while Pat has been getting better and better each week. But the Newman-Haas boys will be right on their tails.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 04:34 (Ref:623566)   #11
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say Tagliani. He's about to break through. I'll be there to witness it first hand.

Jay, you're right. It is kinda boring on TV, but it is an absolute blast to see it in person. General Admission/Paddock Pass is the best way to go.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 04:53 (Ref:623575)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's Carpentier's turn. Why? Dunno.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 05:13 (Ref:623580)   #13
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I picked Carpentier to win Milwaukee, and he came close, but I'm gonna have to go with Junqeira for Laguna, although I agree Tagliani is looking very strong and is a serious contender.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 13:12 (Ref:623840)   #14
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno was about 6 tenths faster than everyone in pre-season testing here, so I hope this is where he can rack up his first win of 2003. Bourdais will probably be up there too. N/H domination is my bet.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 15:44 (Ref:623919)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul Tracy
Old 7 Jun 2003, 17:03 (Ref:623957)   #16
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno, or maybe Adrian Fernandez will have a good day!
Old 7 Jun 2003, 17:54 (Ref:623977)   #17
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Picking the CART winner at any race is like trying to pick the right numbers on your lottery ticket. That said, I have four drivers in mind.
1st)PT...want to see him get back into the championship hunt.
2nd)Tags...would like to see him get his first CART win.
3rd)Carpentier...it would be fantastic to see teammates fight it out for the championship.
4th)Dominguez...so far this season he is really showing everyone what he is made of and he deserves to win a race.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 05:51 (Ref:624243)   #18
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sebastian Bourdais.

Yup, this very angry at France American thinks this young Frenchman has the stuff to be king of the hill. Of course if Bryan Herta filled in for Bruno the complainer, then I'd go with him. Unfortunately my man is running IRL for AGR (and quite well, 5th at Texas tonight).

So I go with the frog.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 14:15 (Ref:624559)   #19
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebastian Bourdais, and because he is French.

Oh, and Darren Manning also. Because Manning is feeling at home at Walker Racing and his experience in road courses may prove quite valuable at Laguna Seca - he is already running very well in ovals.

Tagliani may also surpreend - but Bourdais is my favourite.

Last edited by Muzza; 8 Jun 2003 at 14:18.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 17:45 (Ref:624772)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's a toughie. One of Tracy, Bourdais, Junqueira or Carpentier, I suspect, but maybe one of the rookies will spring a surprise. I'd be surprised to see Vasser running near the front, but delighted for Johansson to take a win as a team owner.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 03:32 (Ref:627797)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
There's a rumour abound that Brian Herta *might* be driving at Laguna Seca, anyone have any more info on this?

Also, still the question of who will be in the second Coyne car this weekend? Looks like it will either be Salles again or an American driver...not Herta??
Old 11 Jun 2003, 04:33 (Ref:627811)   #22
Sile
Rookie

Sile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jon Fogarty!
Old 11 Jun 2003, 13:51 (Ref:628275)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Bryan Herta is already booked with AGR to run the IRL race at Pike's Peak....has been since May 7th...he's replacing Francchiti, who screwed up his back on a dirt bike in Scotland a few months ago...

Old 11 Jun 2003, 14:25 (Ref:628321)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
ok, I don't know... that came from Robin Miller yesterday, and though not always right, he's not one to make stuff up. So, if he says there's a chance, I'm inclined to believe it. Given Bryan's success at Laguna, it wouldn't surprise me so much... I'm sure there are others that could take the AGR seat if Bryan chose otherwise.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 14:38 (Ref:628355)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It oculd be the day for Dimonguez to get a real win, but my tip is still Tracy, ebcause experience counts at this track.