Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Jun 2003, 22:04 (Ref:628974)   #1
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pook on 2004 TV and more races

Pook Says Half of the 2004 CART Races on Broadcast TV
In regard to next year's Champ Car schedule, Chris Pook says "expect another race in Europe and Asia to soon be announced, with 50[%] of the series being on broadcast TV." (National Speed Sport News via Sports Business Daily) (6/12)

http://www.motorsportstv.com/06122003.htm
Old 11 Jun 2003, 22:37 (Ref:628997)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that! Interesting comments by Pook...I'm surprised of a new race in asia so soon, there must be a financial reason for that.

As for more races on network TV, that's what Cart needs!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 11 Jun 2003, 22:51 (Ref:629005)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks for the link, Snout, finally some positive news for CART.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 11:05 (Ref:629290)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
asia - but not japan (no japanese engines ) - ford still rule the roost in 2004.....

Last edited by gomick; 12 Jun 2003 at 11:07.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 11:10 (Ref:629296)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any takers on what track they might race at in Asia? Personally I think it'll be the new Shanghai track.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 12:16 (Ref:629345)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<shudders>

If they go to China, I'm turning the series off my TV. Permanently.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 13:35 (Ref:629435)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I don't think it'll be China (but surprise me!), but what's the problem with China? World's largest market and a HUGE number of racing fans that don't have a GP... (even if they did, like Mexico, there's room for more)
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Jun 2003, 17:39 (Ref:629638)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Some excerpts from Autoweek...

The upcoming Road America event, recently returned to Aug. 3 on the 2003 CART schedule, will be televised in high-definition format.

Pook reported he is working to add two new venues to the schedule next year: another European date at an as yet unspecified location, and “a Northern Pacific venue” as well.

“We are in discussions with the Mid-Ohio folks as to how we continue, under what format we continue. At the end of the day, as you know, it’s about economics.” On the CART schedule, Pook sees the presence of Cleveland and Mid-Ohio, 80 miles south near Mansfield, as duplicate appearances in the same market. With its location downtown at Burke Lakefront Airport, Cleveland is the closer match for Pook’s “in-market” vision.

So things don't look good for the RA-TV nor the future of MidOhio. And when they add another European date, (my gut says Jerez) I hope that they also keep the two that they have now. Eurospeedway is a gem, and Brands will be awesome when they open up the track in a few years. As far as MidOhio is concerned, I doubt that its being dropped will trigger much of an uproar. Certainly nothing to the scale of RA.

Also, everything but the frontstretch and pitlane are being resurfaced in Denver. No major changes to the layout, though.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 18:13 (Ref:629693)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
The choice between mid-ohio and Cleveland is an easy one. Mid-Ohio has history, but that's about it...

A new European race should be interesting... I have some ideas based on Pook's travels, but haven't a clue where it could be... Portugal or Spain seem most likely though...
Old 12 Jun 2003, 19:09 (Ref:629741)   #10
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
<shudders>

If they go to China, I'm turning the series off my TV. Permanently.
May you explain why?
Old 12 Jun 2003, 19:15 (Ref:629752)   #11
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
May you explain why?
Because of their (China's) human right's record.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 21:14 (Ref:629924)   #12
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Shanghai is my guess. China's population is huge, these people need entertainment and they would probably pack in 300 000+ on a race weekend just in general admission.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 22:08 (Ref:630038)   #13
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Because of their (China's) human right's record.
This may start an interesting debate - and hopefully we will be able to keep it "civilized"...

OK. I agree that China's human rights record are appalling (to say the least), but what about the United States itself?
If perception is indeed reality, the understandings (call them opinions) about the United States policy on domestic and foreign affairs vary widely.

Did you have a chance of reading any of the International Amnesty reports on the condition of human rights in the United States? I am just mentioning one organization - albeit a respected one. Please let's not turn this into another childish battlecry of "pro-" or "anti-americanism". This is not the focus of my point.

Or, just to mention one issue - openly debated on other shores -, is the death penalty aligned with the most basic expression of human rights? What about political persecution, or executions in foreign territory? (oh, excuse me, I just mentioned another issue)

Mixing sports with politics is quite dangerous. I understand - and even agree - that sports boycott may, in extreme circumstances, be a valid expression of discontentment (vide the sports boycott to South Africa during the apartheid - which was by the way several times broken by American and English athletes that had pledged to support the boycott, but likely succumbed to "business pressures).

But taking a stake like "let's boycott China because of their human rights record" (which, again are pretty poor indeed, and I speak about it with knowledge of the subject, having friends that fled from China for political reasons) is rather void.

I guess by making a statement like that you are well informed about international politics. I assume you are aware of Malaysia, Turkey and Bahrein record on human rights. So, should Formula 1 not race in this countries?

Last edited by Muzza; 12 Jun 2003 at 22:09.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 01:17 (Ref:630130)   #14
Radioshoes
Rookie

Radioshoes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
This may start an interesting debate - and hopefully we will be able to keep it "civilized"...

To stick my newbies nose in here:

I agree with Muzza. As I said to a music board that I'm on during the Iraq war...if you think we, and by that I mean any country, has a good human rights record, you better start reading your history books, no one is immune.

Besides, the cats already out of the bag, where do you think some of your clothes come from? or your running shoes? or your dollar store stuff? or some of your foods (Trader Joe's frozen veggies come to mind, having just gone through a discussion of them on another list)? or a lot of your electronic components? or car materials?

It's too late to start a boycott of China now, when both your country and mine (Canada) have been trading with them for years.

Cheers,
Old 13 Jun 2003, 01:34 (Ref:630137)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I don't see the point in turning away from the largest market in the world, punishing them if you will for something their government did. I'm not sure if it's on Cart's radar, but any Cart or F1 race in China has the potential to be huge. There are a TON of racing fans there that don't have anything to quench their thirst. If the venue existed, I have no doubt you could hold a race there that would top even Mexico City for attendance.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 03:57 (Ref:630183)   #16
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Guys, I was explaning to Muzza why Lee didn't want a race in China....he (Lee) has stated his opinion on China's human right's record before. I don't care if there is a race in China or not. Every country in the world has done something throughout it's history that they should not be proud of. I was speaking for Lee, not myself. Let's get back to racing!
Old 13 Jun 2003, 05:00 (Ref:630206)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quiet in favor of a Chinese race. I'm quiet in favor of 1 more european race too. Brazil needs one for next year too.

I know we're not suppose to be political and we had our knuckles wrapped last time this topic came up, but I loved it when the US allowed the Iranian opposition fighters in Iraq to keep their weapons. (until that point the US classified them as terrorists, but apparenly it's only terrorism if it happends to an american)
Old 13 Jun 2003, 12:20 (Ref:630487)   #18
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Guys, I was explaning to Muzza why Lee didn't want a race in China....
(...)
I was speaking for Lee, not myself.
Hello, Dov,

I understood that, and I am sorry if I misled you to believe that I was referring to you. Mr. Janotta, where are you?

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 14 Jun 2003, 04:28 (Ref:631074)   #19
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Holy ****! I just saw a promo for the Laguna Seca race on CBS! It was at the end of Letterman, though, so it doesn't mean too much.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 23:15 (Ref:638757)   #20
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has to be China or else why would Air China jump onboard Darren Manning's sponsorship, when the races aren't even broadcasted in China.

Last edited by Tenoch; 21 Jun 2003 at 23:15.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 23:26 (Ref:638766)   #21
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Thats what most reasonable people would think, Tenoch, but you never no what Pook has up his sleeve. We should no where CART is headed by the end of August....no later then September. By the way, welcome to the CART forum.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 23:30 (Ref:638768)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
The Air China deal is only til the end of the season though, and AFAI Cart doesn't have any kind of TV deal there...\
Old 22 Jun 2003, 00:55 (Ref:638839)   #23
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
I imagine that Air China flies out of North America to China, hence they are trying to attract customers to fly with them to China. There advertising to get customers in North America not China.
Old 22 Jun 2003, 02:30 (Ref:638897)   #24
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were rumors spreading of Rusiia would they count that as Asia, since they claim Australia is Pacific Basin. Although i dont have a clue what they would do in Russia but a third race in Mexico would be good for now, until CART gets back onto his feet. Afterall everytime time the Champ Cars head down there the races are sold out. just 150,000 at Mexico City and thats when the Mexican drivers weren;t doing that good but now with all three in the top ten and Michel figthing for the champioship the third race is quite reasonable. Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited by Tenoch; 22 Jun 2003 at 02:35.