Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Jun 2003, 16:59 (Ref:635686)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Where is this?

I thought I'd start a little quiz (on the basis that it'll start a cool thread about how things used to be! ). I took this recently. Any guesses where it might be?

Attached Thumbnails
where.jpg  
Old 18 Jun 2003, 17:01 (Ref:635687)   #2
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rouen?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 17:08 (Ref:635695)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm afraid not, all the buildings at Rouen have been destroyed.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 17:31 (Ref:635715)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reims?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 17:37 (Ref:635725)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Good guess Fan, but Andrew got it.

It is the first floor above the pits. We visited it on the way back from Le Mans. Wow. It is a fantastic place. The building have real atmosphere.

Has anyone else been?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 17:40 (Ref:635731)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Here is some bloke soaking it all up.

Attached Thumbnails
reims1.jpg  
Old 18 Jun 2003, 17:50 (Ref:635743)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
A nice bit of advertising on the underneath of the grandstand roof.

The guys name behind is that of Jean-Pierre Wimille who won the GP at Reims in 1948. He also won the French GP at Montlhéry in 1936 driving a Bugatti. He shared the car with Raymond Sommer whos name also appears on that grandstand.

Attached Thumbnails
r3.jpg  
Old 18 Jun 2003, 20:06 (Ref:635923)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow! Thanks Adam for showing us. If that was over here, it would have been demolished long ago and a Tesco hyperstore or something put in its place.
You can sense the history - Fangio tearing past - even from these shots. Must be spooky being there...and can you imagine the kind of tow they used to get on that long straight?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 20:43 (Ref:635967)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It was a magic place. Very spooky (in a good way).

The straight is unbelievable, especially in the way it passes the stationary cars in the pits. As you stand on the entry to the straight you see it stretching away (straight-away?) in to the distance with several crests and troughs. The French knew how to make circuits in those days - let the lay of the land sculpt it!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 22:05 (Ref:636047)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
The French knew how to make circuits in those days - let the lay of the land sculpt it!
Clermont Ferrand - now there was a circuit!

To see for yourself, check out the top photo on page 64 of the (just published) July issue of Motor Sport in the Peter Westbury feature.

The Motor Sport issue with the restored 'orange' Bosch Kausen Porsche on the cover.
Mind you, when I saw it at Silverstone in '73 it was bright yellow, but that's another matter!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 22:46 (Ref:636081)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Clermont Ferrand does look amazing. 250 miles from Le Mans. 450 miles from Calais. Hmmm it's pushing it for next year's Le Mans trip. I got this months MotorSport in the post today. That is a good picture. It looks mightily impressive - I particularly like the other section that you can see on the opposite hillside.

The parting shot in the same magazine is also, coincidently, Reims!

And on page 65 a little shot of Nouveau Monde hairpin that comes after the great sweeping downhill section.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 07:23 (Ref:636302)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am racing at Charade next month and cannot wait! 2 hour race so worth the long drive back! I shall go to smiths at lunchtime and get it. Chimay is the other great fun french circuit but sadly the Historiic Festival this year clashes with Brands HSCC Super Prix. Last year the local Gendarme were very relaxed with us continuing to practice after the roads had reopened to the public, can you imagine plod letting that happen here?!!
Old 20 Jun 2003, 23:45 (Ref:638108)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for those pics of Reims. I've always wanted to go and visit what little is left. Anyone got any more?
Old 21 Jun 2003, 06:20 (Ref:638210)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
I am racing at Charade next month and cannot wait! 2 hour race so worth the long drive back! I shall go to smiths at lunchtime and get it. Chimay is the other great fun french circuit but sadly the Historiic Festival this year clashes with Brands HSCC Super Prix. Last year the local Gendarme were very relaxed with us continuing to practice after the roads had reopened to the public, can you imagine plod letting that happen here?!!
Chimay is in BELGIUM Simon!
That sounds like suicide to me.I was just imagining it happening in the only comparable event the British 'plod' would be involved-The Birmingham Superprix.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 10:24 (Ref:638320)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Thanks for those pics of Reims. I've always wanted to go and visit what little is left. Anyone got any more?
You must go. This is not based on any facts as such, but there is a lot of work going on to the roads round there. I fear for the remains of this circuit. When I went to Rouen, I was too late for the buildings and it was very diapointing (although the fast sweepers are as scarey as they originally were!)

This is the view from the begining of the start-finish staright. THe buildings are contained in those clump of trees in the middle distance.

Attached Thumbnails
r1.jpg  

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Jun 2003 at 10:32.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 10:25 (Ref:638321)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The old scoring board.

Attached Thumbnails
r2.jpg  
Old 21 Jun 2003, 10:28 (Ref:638322)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
This on is the back of the grandstands. We stopped here because this was the road we first noticed the buildings. A truck driver came past on this smallish road, pointed at us, pointed at the building and gave us a big thumbs up!

Attached Thumbnails
r3.jpg  
Old 21 Jun 2003, 10:37 (Ref:638323)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
This is not based on any facts as such, but there is a lot of work going on to the roads round there. I fear for the remains of this circuit.
The main start finish straight is closed off, as is the sweeping climb to the N31. The Corner Muizon has been destroyed by improvements to the N31. And the final corner near Thillios has recently been destroyed for what may be a roundabout. This may then use the start-finish straight again (that's just a guess).

This is the sort of thing sort of blokes your path to the buildngs and the sweeping corners.

Attached Thumbnails
r4.jpg  
Old 21 Jun 2003, 10:38 (Ref:638324)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
And to complete this self-indulgence here is a shot of the old grandstands (from the pits).

Attached Thumbnails
r5.jpg  
Old 21 Jun 2003, 10:58 (Ref:638333)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
These photos are available on my site, but bigger. Soon I'll put captions under each picture to identify the corners and landmarks.

http://www.adamashmore.co.uk/photos/...ims/index.html
Old 22 Jun 2003, 11:10 (Ref:639076)   #21
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam,
I was intrigued to see your Photo's of Rheims. I have a very similar set taken back in 1997. The Flora and Fauna seems to be taking over now. It had been cut back and some attempts to tidy the place up for a 'Retro' event, which unfortunately never took place.

See www.marshalspost.com/gallery/79.html

There are also a couple of shots taken at Charade(Clermont Ferrand).

Regards,

Jim Lamb
Old 22 Jun 2003, 12:41 (Ref:639115)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Probably mainly due to the lack of trees, it looks quite a lot newer even in 1997!

Thanks for showing us the pics.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 09:53 (Ref:639904)   #23
Rob22
Rookie

Rob22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Here's another "where is this" for you all to guess:
Attached Thumbnails
where.jpg  
Old 23 Jun 2003, 10:24 (Ref:639924)   #24
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First guess, Nürburgring.

But doesn't look like the Nordschleife, more like the roads around the new track.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 11:56 (Ref:640039)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Welcome to ten-tenths Rob.

It's somewhere round there Stranger. Road/Trees excellent. A circuit with character.

I love it.