Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 1 Sep 2000, 07:10 (Ref:34364)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where in the world could you see a grid where a vintage Bentley is lined up next to an F1 Footwork, a race prepared Morgan Plus 8 and a special built out of a 1920 GP car chassis and a WW1 fighter plane engine...?

All that (and more) has happened at the Bentley Drivers Club raceday at Silverstone, where a garden party atmosphere provides a perfect backdrop to some great racing with some outlandish racing cars.

And it happens this Saturday, September 2nd.

The events naturally focus on Bentleys and their pre-war competitors, but it's not all old duffers pootling about saying "After you, old chap!"

The principle behind the day is that the Bentley club send out invitations (challenges) to their rivals in the Aston Martin, Morgan, AC and Jaguar clubs to bring their best, and take on the hosts. And it really is a "run what you brung" formula. I've even seen a road-going 1950s Rover taking on an AC Cobra. And vintage includes such glories as the Bentley-Napier, an 8-litre Bentley chassis, clothed with a record-breaker's body and powered by a 24-litre aero engine. Something that has to be seen to be believed.

Tempted? Curious as to why no one ever mentioned this wonderful day before? Well, sneak down to Silverstone tomorrow and see for yourself. I'll be there. I'll be the one in Seventh Heaven.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 08:38 (Ref:34366)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll there tomorrow, never been to the BDC event before, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. Tim's introduction sounds excellent.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 10:23 (Ref:34383)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have a good time folks. Sadly I'm den Haaged this weekend so no motorsport for me. Spa next weekend though.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 19:43 (Ref:34438)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Tim,

Would love to go but I have to go away on Sunday for a week. Any chance of a bit more notice for the next BDC meets ? I've been to a few in the past and I will concour, they are an excellent day out.

Don't forget the Brighton Speed Trails, I think 9 Sept. Normally a few Bentley's show up.

Simon
Old 1 Sep 2000, 19:55 (Ref:34439)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Simon,

It's one of the highlights of my year, and I forgot to post a note about it here. There's only one Bentley circuit meeting per year, unfortunately. The rest of the time, Stanley Mann, Tim Llewellyn, George Daniels and Peter Morley are giving the rest of the VSCC a hard time at THEIR meetings.

I love the inter-club rivalry that goes on. Last year, the competition secretary of the club sent out a note to the effect that our club had an invite from the Aston Martin OC for race entries. He added the footnote that as pre-war Astons were not exactly well-endowed under the bonnet, this might be an opportunity for some easy silverware for the trophy cabinet....

Trouble with the Brighton Speed Trials is that once again, they clash with the Beaulieu Autojumble AND Duxford's autumn flying display.

There's just so much you can do on a two day weekend.

But I promise I'll give a bit more notice for next year!
Old 3 Sep 2000, 00:34 (Ref:34687)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Calling Guy,

Well, what did you think of the show? It wasn't a bad year this year, although we usually have a better fight for the last race. The Lola T70 GT romping away in the distance was a novelty.

Did you hear the commentators on Chris Williams, the Bentley Napier driver? Remember the car is an 8 litre vintage Bentley chassis, connected to a 24 litre V-12 Napier aero engine. Chris had never even entered a motor race before he bought that car. What a machine to use as a novice!

Some of the quicker Bentley specials were pulling wheelspin in fourth gear coming out of Becketts.

And as for the duel between the 1961 Rover 110 saloon, and the 1929 Bugatti T35 GP car! Marvellous stuff. I talked to Peter Deffee (Rover) afterwards, and he told me he simply wasn't braking as he went round - no point. It was catching the GP Bug on the corners that kept the two cars together.

Roll on next year....
Old 4 Sep 2000, 08:17 (Ref:34896)   #7
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is that Peter Morley's ex car you're talking about (the Napier Bently)? I didn't realise he'd sold it.

Also, on a really picky point, isn't the engine a Napier Lion (which is a broad arrow W12 - 3 banks of 4) not a V12?

I'll just go put my anorak away now......
Old 4 Sep 2000, 09:30 (Ref:34900)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The BDC meeting was excellent.

I was planning on mentioning the battle between the Rover and the Bugatti, but TimD beat me to it. I'd spotted the Rover in the paddock beforehand and thought to myself 'what a shed' - how wrong I was.

The race between the big Bentleys and the 3-wheeled Morgans was also a classic.

It's good to see 'all comers' races where people just enter any old thing, much more entertaining than the norm.