Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Jul 2003, 14:53 (Ref:658852)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
POOK and CART Screw Speed Channel

From Autoweek.com
CART will announce new TV arrangements for the United States at its race in Toronto, and it is almost certain that Speed Channel will not be part of the race programming.
While Speed has increased its subscribers in the last year to 60 million households, it still has a low “household penetration” rate among cable channels. The new deal will increase the number of races broadcast on CBS to at least 10, and add another cable partner for the rest. The leading candidate is the USA Network.
Now I am all for more TV coverage, and this is just fabulous
to go CBS, but to neg SPEED who has done nothing but support them?!
and then to go to USA network?? what thge F@@@@K are they thinking USA NETWORK? I never watch that cable channel why would I I don't even now where it is on the cable list?
why not make an ESPN deal agin the monkey at CART are slowing slipping it to themselves, and they are using no lubricant.
This may precipitate a fall in the stock price so low that it will cost Pollock and Ecclestone pennies to buy CART away from investors...
Old 11 Jul 2003, 16:22 (Ref:658946)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not let Speed or ESPN pick up the rest of the races? Broadcasting on CBS has not worked out that well because they never show the races live. Half the ones they do show are delayed to wierd times.

I know the USA network does Tennis, but I know nothing else about them.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 16:48 (Ref:658979)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
When CART first shifted over to Speed, they gave us CFNight and live Friday quals. We got none of that this year, as Speed becomes more and more the "NASCAR Channel"
Old 11 Jul 2003, 18:44 (Ref:659062)   #4
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least USA Network is basic cable and I can watch the damn races now.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 20:47 (Ref:659183)   #5
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't it CBS that did the Miami race last year and cut off the first 20 laps? I'd love to see ESPN broadcast some of their races, even most of their races, but USA!?!? WHAT!? That just seems really random. So... would they show the qualifying too?
Old 11 Jul 2003, 22:47 (Ref:659248)   #6
Shaggy_SoCal
Rookie

Shaggy_SoCal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone here notice that, for the most part, all of the races that were shown on CBS, have been at the same time on Sunday? Personally, I like that kind of consistency. Same CART time, same CART channel. Think about how much more accessible CART would be if they can do that for all of their races.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 22:59 (Ref:659253)   #7
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys Calm Down!!!! This is a great opportunity for CART. Stop yelling and think about it for a second. USA, struggling since it lost WWF wrestling, is looking for an image mackover, with absolutely nothing to knock the races off the air or shorten races. This is because they have essentially no live broadcasts except for the occasional golf match.

Also, if I am not mistaken USA Network is co-owned by CBS and either NBC or FOX. It's kind of like how TNT shows NASCAR races because they are owned by NBC.

To me, Speed Channel has become THE NASCAR CHANNEL! Currently NASCAR dominates their broadcast day where as I have NOT seen one Champ Car race rebroadcast yet.

If CART is going to pay for air-time lets get a Network that will put 100% of their effort into CART. I'm sure USA is cheaper than the current plan and you don't need satellite or digital cable to view it. Personally CART and F1 on Speed is the only reason I subscribe to digital cable.

So before anyone goes nuts, rationalize it for a second, we are going to get CART on standard cable TV once again.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 23:26 (Ref:659260)   #8
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that should say makeover. oops.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 23:41 (Ref:659269)   #9
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could look at the positive here that the USA network is pretty much everywhere, in th e US and that is where the series needs the most support, but I don't think USA's audience is what CART wants USA is primarly for the older folks, I feal CART should of gone for either MTV or TNN, MTV beacuse of it's massive youth appeal and TNN because it's the men's network and they already have things like WWF which could sway some of the NAscar bunch our way.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 23:48 (Ref:659272)   #10
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They stopped showing CFN and Friday qualifying this year because CART didn't pay for them.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 00:32 (Ref:659283)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USA Network is not shown in Canada, where the biggest audience for CART currently resides.

How does this make sense, again?
Old 12 Jul 2003, 01:50 (Ref:659306)   #12
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
So you get speed in Canada with cable or satelliete? Do you get CBS up there and I've heard some of you Canadiens talking about TSN what's then I think you get plenty coverage, since all I have know is CBS, beacuse Comcast doesn't offer SPEED.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 02:07 (Ref:659313)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...but Speed is blacked out for CART and F1 up here.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Jul 2003, 03:06 (Ref:659335)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get CART qualifying and full F1 in my neck of the woods.
I don't know anything about this USA network but I do know that I will miss SPEEDS coverage of qualifying.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 12 Jul 2003, 04:30 (Ref:659346)   #15
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, we can see CART qualifying on SPEED, but the race is blacked out. I don't even get SPEED, and I don't really care for it because of the large volume of NASCAR it shows. They should just rename it NASCAR-TV and be done with it.

And yes, we get CBS in Canada with basic cable. We get a ton of American channels, from whatever American center is closest to the Canadian center you live in. For Calgary, it's Spokane. I get CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC, TNN, PBS, A&E, CNN, CNN Headline News, CNBC, etc. Truthfully, Canadians only really watch American TV shows. There are very few good Canadian shows out there, mostly the comedies/satirical shows. But if anyone ever says "good Canadian drama", run. Run like you've never run before. And if it was produced by the CBC, run harder... and burn your television. Anne of Green Gables.... need I say more?
Old 12 Jul 2003, 12:25 (Ref:659509)   #16
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If CART gets more network coverage and dosen't have to pay for airtime I think the deal makes sense.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 14:11 (Ref:659550)   #17
Joe Machado
Rookie

Joe Machado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they keep the same production group they can broadcast the races on any channel that is available at every cable system. If TNN hadn't changed its format they would have been the ideal channel. For many years they showed motorsports that ESPN would not touch even before Speedvision became a reality. Anyone that has been to a race will have noticed that production companies supply the hardware, generates the image and upload the broadcast. This type of work is outsourced. Get the right people to do the broadcast, get rid of Calvin Fish and Derek Daily and we will have a winner.

Last edited by Joe Machado; 12 Jul 2003 at 14:12.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 14:34 (Ref:659562)   #18
gttouring
Veteran

daly is not my favorit announcer i must say his commentary and his annoying questions seem so forced-just run the racing school man.
I really enjoyed the enthusiasm of Paul Page too bad he went to IRL
Old 12 Jul 2003, 14:56 (Ref:659581)   #19
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Page makes me laugh. He says some really random things.
They did a show before one IRL race and Tony Kanaan said he liked to sleep before races. Then during the race broadcast, he came to the pits and Paul Page said, "And Tony Kanaan takes a nap during the day!" It was pretty funny.

The announcers are at least better than the NASCAR announcers!!! We don't hear things like "his self" and "his car was runnin' good" all of the time.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 18:03 (Ref:659646)   #20
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
don't forget boogie boogie boogitty or something like that, Varsha seams too dry but I don't want USA to go crazy and try to pull a Dennis Miller on monday night football. As for Tommy Kendell he's a weirdo.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 19:38 (Ref:659683)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Kendall and his "Kendallisms" are classic. I hope that he remains on any future broadcast teams. Early in the Toronto 2nd quals he remarked how it was ****ing down rain.

I know the auto-censor will do its job there, but it was great.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 21:13 (Ref:659730)   #22
gttouring
Veteran

townsend bell shoulf do announcinng, his racecraft is one thing but he is good on the microphone.
Kendall is good but on camera he gets nervous, when he is simply speaking he is good to go, I saw Speed qualifying this AM and it was pretty good, and Dennis Miller or Letterman would be very funny, as that brand of humor may actually make sense to the openwheel race crowd as opposed to the monday night footballers in the states-even his fellow announcers had no idea.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 21:57 (Ref:659747)   #23
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town

I meant Tommy Kendall was a weirdo in a good way, I love the stuff he does its just that he can't be the frontman he's more of the sidekick. I mean there is no forgetting the chicken car he was driving. As for dennis Miller I meant that although it was a good idea to try to appeal to young viewers the choice could of been better I see no problem with Jay Leno or Dave there both quite funny and just love cars.
Old 13 Jul 2003, 16:39 (Ref:660072)   #24
xbook
Rookie

xbook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as how Speed Channel is really the "NASCAR Network", I would love to see another cable programmer jump into covering any kind of autoracing. The fact that CART still has a pay arrangement for the broadcast of their races tells volumes about how willing Speed Channel is to promote CART.

If USA is going to funnel this into a marketing campaign that will be a "relaunch" for their fledgling cable channel. Then, I think CART may get a good amount of promotion by being their main sports program. Good for everyone. And best of all it is a BASIC cable network. So CART races won't be the domain of the people who specifically pay to have a "Motor Sports" channel. And with the NASCARization (is that a word?) of Speedvision, I don't think any other form of racing can survive on that channel.
Old 13 Jul 2003, 18:35 (Ref:660138)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

If USA backs CART and makes it a Champcar haevy channel like Speed and NASCAR (although they do good rally coverage and F1...where did legends of Motorsports go? and god I hate the NASCAR Legends thing they are a bunch of dull old guys laughing at inside jokes and cnt tell stories to save their lives..)