Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 12 Jul 2003, 00:38 (Ref:659284)   #1
Jon Schutters
Rookie

Jon Schutters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
XJS IN THE USA, which brand wheels are good?

Hi, I want to bring the XJS back on the (race) track in the USA,
It is very hard to find technical information in the US for non US build cars.
i.e. what brand wheels will fit under the XJS without body modification.
I have seen on this web site that 8J x 16' is being used,
but I need to know the screw pattern (distance between the screws).
Who can help me out here, a wheel brand name would already help me.
Thanks
Jon Schutters
Old 12 Jul 2003, 06:29 (Ref:659373)   #2
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The XJS stud pattern I think is the same as Chev,but I am not sure about the offset.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 08:10 (Ref:659410)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hello Jon. I too race an XJS, although over here in blighty. We have tried a few different wheels. We had some 18" Aston Martin Wheels, which were nice, but they caught on the unmodified bodywork. They were also very heavy. We could run 245s on them so more rubber.

We have now reverted back to our 16" Pentas. There are an after market wheel. I am not sure of there original, but I've heard it is a Mercedes design and that Pontiacs use them? We run 225s on these and despite the less rubber they tend to be as quick as the 245s (depending on circuit). Compared with most wheels they have a very nice offset which can be used without modifying the bodywork.

Here is a picture of the 16s. There are more on www.ashmoreracing.co.uk along with a diary of our first 6 months and some more pictures and some race reports.

Attached Thumbnails
pentas.jpg  

Last edited by Adam43; 12 Jul 2003 at 08:11.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 08:15 (Ref:659412)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, that'll be the pink one!

Jon, whilst I can't answer your query the technical term for your question is PCD which stands for "pitch circle diameter". So you are looking for the PCD of the wheel studs.

Good luck with your project.

You may see this on technical literature.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 16:22 (Ref:659613)   #5
Jon Schutters
Rookie

Hi Guys
Thank you very much for your (quick) reply.
This time difference is great, I put a question on the board at night, and in the Morning I have 4 answers.
This will bring me on my way on Monday, and I am shure I will have the right
wheels by Monday night, although I do not think I will be able to "find" Aston Martin wheels. PCD is the word of the day!! Thanks again Jon.
Old 13 Jul 2003, 09:56 (Ref:659946)   #6
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar Pcd according to http://www.tyresave.co.uk/fitment.html#JAGU is 5/120.65
Old 13 Jul 2003, 14:05 (Ref:660027)   #7
Jon Schutters
Rookie

Wow, thank you very much, finding this website is like a goldmine.
my wife said, "it's like having machanics standby on call"
Great, thank you very much
Hope you have a great weekend, Jon.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 13:59 (Ref:660772)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well now you have to come back and tell us all about your racing exploits.

Also you might find some interest in the Historic Forum.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 12:26 (Ref:662738)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
so the going rate for a race mechanic divided by the time it takes to think of and type an answer = ???

about a pint of beer probably
Old 18 Jul 2003, 06:12 (Ref:664584)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... The PCD looks identical to a Camaro/Firebird. So for a cheap set of wheels, you might just want to look into some used F-body wheels.

Here's some info on the materials and measurements of the wheels out there.
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/wheels.htm

Could work for a cheap backup set of wheels. Just a suggestion. Yes, they're cast, but the A-Sedan guys get away with running them.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 06:23 (Ref:664590)   #11
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jags have the same PCD as a Holden Commodore,
which is the same as a Monaro,
which is the same as Pontiac GTO (new one),
which is the same as a 3, 5 or 7 series BMW,
which is the same as a Camero/Firebird

seems like there'd be plenty of choice there - just have to get your sizing and offsets suss'd and then vist some wreckers yards with your tape measure (or you could buy new wheels, but that'd be too easy and no fun)
Old 18 Jul 2003, 06:26 (Ref:664592)   #12
GTV27
Veteran

An E type racer here uses 15 inch BMW 7 series alloy wheels to good effect - offsets seem to work OK
Old 18 Jul 2003, 09:37 (Ref:664697)   #13
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely Jaguar (pre Ford) are pre-metric 4,3/4" PCD (=120.65) while BMW are 120mm. That's quite a difference.

Now I know guys with 60's, 70's alfa's (108mm metric PCD) are using 4,1/4" PCD (pre-metric Ford=107.95mm), but that's only 0.05mm difference, not 0.65mm. Surely there must be a downside to this amount of mismatch?

With Jon being from the USA, I don't expect he'll find do much trouble finding some suitable Corvette or Camaro wheels.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 10:08 (Ref:664721)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'd just like to find a suitable Camaro.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 10:35 (Ref:664745)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
alfasud, I agree it's quite a difference. I know an XJS racer with a set of BMW wheels. I think he modified them slightly to get them on, but the offset is fine.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 03:57 (Ref:669008)   #16
GTV27
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by alfasud
Surely Jaguar (pre Ford) are pre-metric 4,3/4" PCD (=120.65) while BMW are 120mm. That's quite a difference.

Now I know guys with 60's, 70's alfa's (108mm metric PCD) are using 4,1/4" PCD (pre-metric Ford=107.95mm), but that's only 0.05mm difference, not 0.65mm. Surely there must be a downside to this amount of mismatch?

With Jon being from the USA, I don't expect he'll find do much trouble finding some suitable Corvette or Camaro wheels.
Yep, 4 1/4" ford wheels work OK on 105's (except the offset is all wrong ).

Are you sure that just over HALF A MILLIMETRE in PCD would make that much difference - really its more like a quarter of a mill by the time you spread the difference across opposing studs?

Anyway, no warranties or guarantees are provided and any advice is utlised purely at your own risk