Old 23 Jul 2003, 14:55 (Ref:669465)   #1
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver marshaling for a day

Good afternoon my orange friends,

I intend to spend a day with you folks to sample your lifestyle and get a signature. I have a couple of questions.

1) Do I need to attend any training?

2) What do I wear?

3) Do I have to share my sandwiches?

4) How much do marshals drink, can I afford to buy my babysitters a drink?

I also have some non racing friends that would like to give it a shot. Can they spend a day on post with you folks before they make up their mind.

B
Old 23 Jul 2003, 15:22 (Ref:669483)   #2
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Traditionally, drivers tend to turn up in a variety of clothing. Some wear their racing overalls whilst others wear "normal" clothng. Both are suitable but be advised it can get a bit muddy in our world... Also, if you choose to wear everyday clothing, I would recommend that you wear natural fibres only to reduce any risk should you come into contact with any fire. Unlikely but you never know what may happen.

You won't need any prior training as far as I'm aware. The observer (usually in charge of the post) or the Incident Officer (in charge of us "Run Around" marshals) will brief you fully on the morning of the event. It will be very clear to all marshals on your post that you're new and you'll be well looked after and made part of the team.

Its customary for all drivers to buy hot dogs and beefburgers for all marshals (quiet guys, we might just get away with this one!). We don't go in for stealing many sandwiches. Unless you're barry Ambrose.

We don't drink at all whilst on duty but some can be persuaded to retire to a bar afterwards. usually we want to go home! A good touch if you don't fancy paying for a round is to donate some alcohol to the marshals raffle. Always a special round of applause if you do that!

Which circuit are you planning to come and join us on? You'll be made very welcome wherever you go and I can guarantee that you'll leave with a new found sense of awe...!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 15:26 (Ref:669488)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi bradenc,

Couple of things you should consider making sure you have with you:

1. Pair of gloves - gardening gloves preferably - driver gloves would probably get destroyed!
2. Decent footwear - steel capped boots are preferred - some marshals clubs have rules regarding not wearing runners (trainers) on the circuit so check that before you arrive!
3. Raingear! Very important - not yellow or red please unless you plan to look like a giant flag!
4. Water - dehydration = bad thing
5. Sun cream - just in case the big scary yellow thing in the sky decides to make an appearance
6. Hat - baseball cap would be good

I don't think there would be any problem with any of your friends that want to attend - but again, please do check with the Chief Marshal before the event to ensure that there will be enough suitably experienced marshals to deal with the number of new people who are coming along!

Marshals like donuts..........

Have fun!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 15:38 (Ref:669499)   #4
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin

Marshals like donuts..........

dont you mean marshals are like donuts, best covered in sugar with a little bit of jam or custard
Old 23 Jul 2003, 15:43 (Ref:669508)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
sss, I don't know what depravations you boys and girls get up to on the Silly Hat Bus, but those of us who have to stand on post know that covering yourself in sugar is a REALLY good way to attract the entire insect population of the circuit!

Oh braden, a tip - do NOT advertise you have donuts in front of Rescue personnel. They'll probably stitch your hand back on when they've finished attacking you.....maybe....
Old 23 Jul 2003, 15:55 (Ref:669519)   #6
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Driver marshaling for a day

Quote:
Originally posted by bradenc
I also have some non racing friends that would like to give it a shot. Can they spend a day on post with you folks before they make up their mind.
No one is expected to make a choice if they like marshaling on their first day out. For some it's totally addictive from the first session, and for some it can change depending on what's out. For example there are people who are only into hillclimbs, or rallycross, or circuit racing.

No matter what the event is your friends will be made welcome and hopefully you'll all have a good day and decide to visit the banks again.

Oh, and the Lidl fresh cream and jam dohnut seems to be the dohnut of choice at the moment. Unless of course you find a circuit that has one of those vans that makes fresh hot ones!!!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 15:57 (Ref:669521)   #7
sss
Veteran

England
i prefer sweeties in the van more than donuts (i save them for work)

sweets can provide hours of entertainment to us simpletons.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 16:03 (Ref:669529)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by sss
sweets can provide hours of entertainment to us simpletons.
And if you use a Holmatro to get into the sweets then that's a sure sign you've too much free time on your hands in the SHB!

Last edited by MagnetON; 23 Jul 2003 at 16:03.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 16:15 (Ref:669548)   #9
sss
Veteran

England
one particular i/c wouldnt let us do that, he would just us a spanner, i would hate to name him .

scenario

clerk of the course to rescue crew at brands hatch 'i dont care how you do it, but get that bit of catch fence down'

rescue crew - then empty contents of unit to do a major extrication job on said bit of fence using as much kit and make as much noise as possible

i/c - gets spanner & socket set and takes fence down.
how boring was that, all these toys and he unbolts it.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 17:05 (Ref:669604)   #10
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hillclimbing is a great place to start marshalling as everything stops when an incident happens and you don't have to worry about other cars flying at you. It all depends on the rules for your championship....
do you HAVE to attend a circuit or ANY venue?

but with regards to your friends, most people will agree (I stand to be corrected) that Hillclimbing is the most social of events with drivers and marshals all having a beer together at the end. I'm not circuits at all, it's just the way it seems.

Either way, as stated before, NOBODY gets left alone or out of their depth. We ALL try to welcome newcomers and always try to answer any questions or concerns that newbies may have. After all, even people like Pumpkin and myself were Novices once!!!! (I know, before anyone else says it, It was a LONG time ago when SHE started !!)
Old 23 Jul 2003, 17:14 (Ref:669613)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Most important things to bring (in order)

Good Sense of Humour
A basic sense of own mortality (so you think before acting)
Decent boots, rain gear, gloves preferably (can often borrow) and food (no lunch breaks). Enough for yourself is fine, but at Silverstone the crows like a share if you're not careful.
Willingness to learn.

All of the above apply to all marshals, whether new or not, and anytime you arrive regularly without one or more of those, it's probably time to stop.

So tell us where you starting out from, bradenc, and the nearest of us will welcome you and friends with open arms.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 18:34 (Ref:669670)   #12
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
So tell us where you starting out from, bradenc, and the nearest of us will welcome you and friends with open arms.
I think you are a Formula 4 man - so does that mean you want to marshal at a 750 MC meeting or something else so that none of your competitors see you??!!!
If it's the latter you will need to get a ticket or some kind of entry pass to most circuits - this obviously applies to your friends too.
For Oulton Park I can honestly say there is a great bunch of us there - if it's a BRSCC or BARC meeting then drinks are arranged afterwards in Race Control. for other clubs it differs (but we all love the chocolate biccies from 750MC!!). At Oulton complete virgins get taken on a grand tour of the circuit by Cliff (not to be missed by non-virgins too!!). This gives a great insight into the circuit if you've never been before and describes what us marshals do all day - apart from laugh at the drivers!! If you've raced then you probably just want to get down to business - as I do sign-on at Oulton let me know and I'll look out for you - if you are really unlucky you get to spend the day with me!! I seem to get on well with virgins! Let us know how many friends you want to bring (the more the merrier) - as we'll probably have to split them up round the circuit due to experience.
Look forward to seeing you and your friends.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 07:05 (Ref:670031)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well I can't add anything else to the advice already given other than to welcome you and marshalgirl to Ten-Tenths.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 08:31 (Ref:670082)   #14
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
What a splendid bunch of replies, thank you. I am having my first outing in FVee at silverstone on august bank holiday. It's easiest for me to do a snetterton race (localish). It would be more fun for my friends to join a marshal for a race I'm in.

I agree that marshaling a hillclimb may be more suitable, but I am doing this to see the races from an orange point of view and hopefuly learn something.

I know who to call re 750mc races, who should I call re marshaling at snetterton, pick a meeting and call club?

To summarise, I don't need orange overalls.

I need to bring;

Sensible Clothes
Safety Boots
Gardening Gloves
Gauntlets
wet gear
Donuts
water
sun cream
cap
lunch

How many marshals are there likely to be with me, need to figure out the marshal donut ratio.

Is it possible to buy a marshal with enough donuts?

"Marshals like donuts.........."

This could lead impressionable young drivers like myself to antics on the track.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 08:36 (Ref:670086)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Just contact the Chief Marshal for 750 MC (is it Peter Harding?) and inform him that you wish to marshal for the meeting and a signature on your race licence.

You can never buy enough doughnuts (or ice creams in hot weather).

Have a safe and enjoyable day!
Old 24 Jul 2003, 08:47 (Ref:670094)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Gloves or gauntlets braden - you won't need both. A pack of 6 donuts will normally feed a post - if you're concerned, then bring a backup box of Mr. Kipling's mixed cakies!

Ice creams are always popular on hot days, but not really practical to bring with you!

Marshals do occasionally like the other kind of donut - BUT:
  • Not when there's still traffic on the circuit
  • Not when it's 6pm and we've been standing in the rain all afternoon and really just want to go home
  • Not when the driver messes up, blows his engine and dumps all kinds of yuk and fluid all over the track

I don't really recommend trying to donut in a Vee on your first day out - you'll spin all by yourself anyway, you won't need to do it on purpose!

Good luck in your first race and enjoy your marshalling day - you never know, you might get the bug and it may not be your last!

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 24 Jul 2003 at 08:48.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 09:52 (Ref:670124)   #17
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
Thats what I meant gloves/gauntlets. Doh

I took the vee out to an airstrip to get the sillyness over with, donuts were attempted but the car/driver didn't seem to take to them.

6 donuts will just about feed me! I shall just fill the motorhome with fodder and park it by the post, that way we can have cold ice cream and hot tea on demand!
Old 24 Jul 2003, 09:56 (Ref:670125)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Motorhome. Fodder. Cold Ice Cream. Hot Tea?

And you're coming to Mondello when?
Old 24 Jul 2003, 10:08 (Ref:670130)   #19
tangotubby
Rookie

tangotubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shall be doing sign on at Silverstone on the August Bank Holiday. If your friends would like to do some marshalling then bring them along. More the merrier, we should be able to get them a nice post.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 10:12 (Ref:670131)   #20
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will be good to see your first drive bradenc...I'll be marshalling that meeting, hopefully you won't end up at my post!

Good luck with your marshalling day, its good to see that drivers are taking up the opportunity to do these days and to see whats its like to be us!
Old 24 Jul 2003, 12:43 (Ref:670236)   #21
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bradenc I marshal a fair bit at Snetterton, the next 750mc meeting there isn't until October but there are a few BRSCC meetings coming up. The person to contact is Peter Rodwell and all the details can be found at www.brscc-ea.co.uk. I look forward to meeting you and if you are bringing a motorhome full of goodies you will fit right in, the good thing about Snet is that you can get your car quite close to the posts so not far to walk when you get hungry.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 13:40 (Ref:670302)   #22
sss
Veteran

England
sears is the best for that, and no nosey public watching us marshals out there
Old 24 Jul 2003, 21:30 (Ref:670611)   #23
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bradenc - As they said, you can contact me for 750 events. As I also am a regular at Snetterton, you can talk to me about your requirements there and I will pass all relevant info to the club concerned (BARC/BRSCC etc). Give me a ring (number in front page of 750 bulletin). I'll be at Pembrey this weekend picking up English and Irish Vees and the mobile reception there is bad so try after Monday.