Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Jul 2003, 16:06 (Ref:670436)   #1
Radioshoes
Rookie

Radioshoes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Toronto Star says....

The Star

Also:

Sportsnet had an interview with Patrick Carpentier last night but I only caught the end. He basically said that if things didn't get worked out soon he may be forced to look for another ride for next year. Oh, dear God, please don't let it be the twIRL. After all these years of being a Pat fan(atic) I would really miss that gapped-toothed smile.

Otoh, didn't he sign a two-year contract with Forsythe, so I can't believe that he wouldn't have had some assurances that he would have a drive next year.

:confused:

Cheers
Old 24 Jul 2003, 16:26 (Ref:670449)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe anything I read in the Star . Their last big sports story was that the Blue Jays have too many White players.

But seeing that Players is out October 1st, leaving them with no sponsors, I am not really surprised that they may reduce to a one car team.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 18:17 (Ref:670504)   #3
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All three Canadian drivers will be cut loose.

Carpentier was talking with IRL teams last year before the Player's deal came through.

Tagliani is only racing because Player's is paying his salary. Nobody much "wants" him.

Tracy is very expensive and his contract is with Player's. NASCAR is where he will probably go, but he'll have to mend some fences there.

If CART goes on in 2004, most likely Fosrythe runs one car with Indeck colors. Bryan Herta seems a logical candidate should he not get a ride with AGR. He is very pro-CART and has good relations on a personal level with Gerry Forsythe.

There is some hope a second car is possible with Molsen for a Canadian race or two. But it is a long shot.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 18:39 (Ref:670513)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
erm...there's also trying to find a sponsor and carrying on as is... Forsythe's known this was coming for a while, and has been working on sponsorship for a while... It;s been rumoured in a number of places that he already has one lined up, and it really wouldn't surprise me given it's a guaranteed front runner. My guess is that's what he'll try.

I think Pat was just saying that if they don't have another sponsor next year, he may need to look for a new ride (well...duh!).

PT will be driving for Forsythe next year, he's a contract and it's not conditional on Player's staying - that was one of his major sticking points in signing - he wanted another year Player's or no Player's.

If Tags can get a win or two before the year's out he shouldn't have trouble finding a ride. He's coming pretty close too, so it wouldn't surprise me...but it is ultra-competitive.

Last edited by Jay; 24 Jul 2003 at 18:41.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 24 Jul 2003, 19:11 (Ref:670526)   #5
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
Jay,

you know PT's contract for a fact?

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_s...me=auto_racing

While they don't say so openly, this article seems to imply that both PFR driver's contracts are dependent upon a new sponsor picking up the tab. 2004 is thus an "option" year. Lawyer's write contracts with many outs for both parties.

I stand by my statement. I expect all three Player's drivers to be cut loose.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 19:21 (Ref:670531)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Yeah, you've expected a lot of things to happen that didn't with respect to Cart's failing over the past few months.

I remember that because it was one of the reasons he held out for so long. He wanted a) A multi-year contract that was guaranteed even if Player's left. He wanted to be guaranteed of more than one year. He also wanted b) A Lola Chassis.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 24 Jul 2003, 19:31 (Ref:670537)   #7
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tag's been strong all year, and all career. The only thing he's missing is a win, and if Jourdain can last so long without a win, Tagliani can too. Servia is another example. Dominguez did nothing last year (except a strange win) and still got the same ride this year. Winning isn't everything, and Tag's got a solid career ahead and behind him. Heck, Junqueira hasn't won all season and is contending for the championship!

Last edited by Omega99; 24 Jul 2003 at 19:32.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 19:35 (Ref:670542)   #8
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
Jay,

You have contradicted nothing I said. I simply stated the multiyear contract includes an option year. I stand by that.

BTW, I never said anything about Tracy and Lolas at Forsythe.

Now please name one thing I said would happen that has not come to pass.

... I'm waiting
Old 24 Jul 2003, 19:42 (Ref:670545)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I'm not talking about any one post (although I could probably find some if I looked...don't have time) Practically all of the anti-Cart things you guys (rush1, indycool...all the same) has turned out to be bull. You guys have basically been plotting out Cart's death run, and that's not how it's shaping out to be. I guess it just looks different from where you guys are than it does in the Cart community. To be honest, people are much much happier there then were last year, owners included. They all know they'll be in Cart next year. Forsythe needs a sponsor, I would'nt be surprised if he has one already or almost signed. Valiente was looking for one, but we'll see what the press conference in Vancouver is about. I guess what I'm getting at is the view sgw2, indycool and rush1 have is not one shared by anyone actually involved in Cart (it was last year, but they're gone).
Old 24 Jul 2003, 20:44 (Ref:670574)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm tired of "CART is dead."

Can't we talk about racing? Who's going to win in Vancouver?
Old 24 Jul 2003, 20:57 (Ref:670591)   #11
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
Jay,

Nice unsupported conspiracy theory you have me part of. For a second there I thought you were Hilary Clinton.

This rant surprises me not at all. You have blatantly and repeatedly mis-stated and warped my positions.

Grow up. You are only 22 and do not yet work or have a family of your own. The intolerance and rigidity of youth will hopefully pass. It really isn't all angels or devils out there. Shades.

Question all sides critically, including your own. Reason, and consider alternatives. Don't buy the party line. Step back and get some prespective.

This is advice that will do you well beyond this forum.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 22:18 (Ref:670638)   #12
Radioshoes
Rookie

Radioshoes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay

I remember that because it was one of the reasons he held out for so long. He wanted a) A multi-year contract that was guaranteed even if Player's left. He wanted to be guaranteed of more than one year. He also wanted b) A Lola Chassis.
But didn't Pat sign a two year contract as well? Or was 2004 an option for him? He is fourth in the standings and that's got to count for something. He did win in Leguna and impressively, imho. And didn't he say that Forsythe had told him CART would be around for a while and that was one of the reasons he resigned with them?

Tags, I don't know, I tend to think he's an over-rated driver (and a bit on the whiny side...did I say that?) but I'm not a fan so my opinion on that really doesn't mean much.

One thing I do know is that I will miss Pat if he goes twIRLing as I won't be following him.

Cheers
Old 24 Jul 2003, 22:47 (Ref:670652)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I don't think Pat's contract had nearly as many clauses as Tracy's. Player's really wanted Tracy, and he was very picky about the 2 years and the Lola...they eventually gave on that. Pat's contract on the other hand, is almost undoubtably written in Player's and Forsythe's favour... I doubt it has half of the clauses of Tracy. If Pat got picky, they would have just taken Tags (Who at the time wasn't signed anywhere). That's why I highly doubt Pat is guaranteed the two years.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 23:15 (Ref:670662)   #14
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pat was driving for his contract last year, from memory he suddenly found speed at Mid Ohio which helped retain him and left Tags farmed out, so I'd say he would be calling the shots a lot less in contractual terms than PT. Who Gerry is running in 04, what sponsors he's running, still too early to know. Certainly nothing with substance as been put forward. But Jay you have a point, Gerry is a proactive man who's known the score on Players and will have been searching.

Last edited by The Snout; 24 Jul 2003 at 23:17.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 00:00 (Ref:670672)   #15
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought there was an announcement coming in the first part of August that specified that Forsythe had a Major international sponsor and that sponsor was on the hook for a multi-year deal. (Not Indeck) Forsythe is a wealthy and very successful businessman. He has a serious interest in CART and isn’t about to leave. He has known that Players was leaving for a long time. I am confident that he really does have that backing. I’m not a person with knowledge of the ins and outs of big business, but I’m sure there are details being worked out. Before anyone starts trying to stir things up and imply future doom and gloom for the Forsythe team, maybe we should wait until Forsythe puts his cards on the table for all to see.

This reminds me of the Y2K computer glitch. (Not a great analogy so I know it’s full of holes. Most analogies can’t stand up to intense scrutiny.) For years there were people predicting companies going bankrupt, the melt down of the world economy, panic in the streets, and massive power grid black outs. In 1991 I was dating a computer programmer for Office Depot. She told me about it then and what companies would have to do to correct the situation. As the end of the millenium drew near, the doomsayers made their predictions and got everyone worked up. I have an uncle that lives in southwestern Colorado that turned his home into a bunker. He had six months of food and water stored in his basement. He had a generator and fuel to run it for six months and had barrier fencing around his property to keep out the non-believers that hadn’t prepared and were looting and killing in a panic. (He also believed in most conspiracy theories, alien abductions, black helicopters, poisoning of the population through jet contrails, and that AIDS was a government plot. He was a fun guy to drink with, but hard to take serious.) Y2K turned out to be a non-event because those that were going to be effected by it, took care of business.

In a long round about way, my point is, Forsythe has it under control and he will let us know what the plan is when the time is right.

Old 25 Jul 2003, 00:13 (Ref:670676)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really doubt PT will be unable to find a ride in CART next year. I would be a bit surprised if he doesn't stay with the team. PT looked really good last year, but is only looking so-so this year. Tag has been sort of fluky. At the start of his CART career, I thought he had big things ahead. It never materialized, although he's doing a pretty good job this year.

Vancouver has no passing, so it will become a battle of pitstops. Ofcourse that's assuming the leader doesn't get a huge jump like PT did in TO and they pit under a yellow. With the right luck on yellows/pitstops, even Boss could win.

Anyway, the smart money has to be on PT. Home track advantage (which seems to be bigger than in the past) and the fact that Vancouver seems to be one of the tracks he does well on.

Junky's luck can't hold out forever, at some point he's going to get a DNF or not finish very well. It would be a kick in the sack if Junky kept on the way he's going and won.

Last edited by Snrub; 25 Jul 2003 at 00:14.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 00:19 (Ref:670678)   #17
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Tailwind
Before anyone starts trying to stir things up and imply future doom and gloom for the Forsythe team, maybe we should wait until Forsythe puts his cards on the table for all to see..
Never more true words spoken.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 01:18 (Ref:670700)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Tracy was quoted in the paper today as saying that since he couldn't do anything about all this financial ****, he preferred to concentrate on racing.

I wish we would all take that attitude too.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:23 (Ref:670734)   #19
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I'm not talking about any one post (although I could probably find some if I looked...don't have time) Practically all of the anti-Cart things you guys (rush1, indycool...all the same) has turned out to be bull. You guys have basically been plotting out Cart's death run, and that's not how it's shaping out to be. I guess it just looks different from where you guys are than it does in the Cart community. To be honest, people are much much happier there then were last year, owners included. They all know they'll be in Cart next year. Forsythe needs a sponsor, I would'nt be surprised if he has one already or almost signed. Valiente was looking for one, but we'll see what the press conference in Vancouver is about. I guess what I'm getting at is the view sgw2, indycool and rush1 have is not one shared by anyone actually involved in Cart (it was last year, but they're gone).
What has turned out to be bull? Eccelstone buying the series, a group with $100 million buying CART on Auguat 7th? Forsythe has a new sponsor? Of course, but he is going to keep it secret. What the aforementioned people are telling you Jay is that CART is done. CART will not continue because all the sponsors have left. CART is dead because there is not enough corporate money for two major open wheel series in North America.

Tony won, F1 will be the only show in Canada until Tony finds a suitable oval. Get over it.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:42 (Ref:670750)   #20
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2

There is some hope a second car is possible with Molsen for a Canadian race or two. But it is a long shot.
Molson's by the way.

Canadian Rules state what Beer & Liquor companies can and cannot sponsor. A race team is one of the things they cannot sponsor apparently.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:51 (Ref:670757)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
rush1, were you at Silverstone dressed in green, wearing a kilt last weekend by any chance?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 03:06 (Ref:670763)   #22
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
Tony won, F1 will be the only show in Canada until Tony finds a suitable oval. Get over it.
There are no suitable Ovals in Canada and even if there were I'm afraid the IRL boys would be racing to a lot of empty seats. We also have the ALMS coming to town next month at Trois Rivieres and Mosport which is infinitely better than the "all oval" IRL.

As for Forsythe I believe Imperial Tobacco is going to retain part ownership of the Players/Forsythe team so I imagine PT's contract for 04 is probably pretty solid.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 Jul 2003, 03:15 (Ref:670768)   #23
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
rush1, were you at Silverstone dressed in green, wearing a kilt last weekend by any chance?
Only thing is the Silverstone maniac had balls.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 03:17 (Ref:670772)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Seriously though guys, if the IRL fans are so confident of Cart's death, why are they all posting here? They have their own forum, I think they even have some "races" too (I know it's hard to believe something so contrived can be called a race, but apparently they do...the WWF also calls their events "fights") Why are they posting here? This is a "dead" series right? So why do they feel the need to post in a forum of a "dead" series? There are plenty of other forums here for them to post at, yet they chose the one of a "dead" series...puzzling. Is there not anything to discuss in the IRL forum? Who's injured, who's subbing for who, etc etc... We have a race in Vancouver this weekend, which will have people passing through the turnstyles about 150,000 times during the weekend. (yes 30-50,000 people will come on Friday and Saturday..rain or shine) A new team and driver combo for next season will be announced tomorrow. New sponsor decals will be on the cars, and their execs will be wined and dined in the luxury boxes. Bobby Rahal, Pual Newmann, Mario Andretti, Paul Gentilozzi, Craig Pollock, Emerson Fittipaldi, Pat Patrick, Derrick Walker and more will all be singing the praises of the series and its incredible rebound... really... if Cart is truly dead, someone forgot to tell Cart and everyone with a foot, finger or hair in the series.

Last edited by Jay; 25 Jul 2003 at 03:21.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 04:48 (Ref:670808)   #25
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rush 1
First of all, we don't want the EARL hear....NEVER HAVE....NEVER WILL!!! In the second place, Roger Pimpski still want's to race in Canada....Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. That's 2 street courses and 1 Island road/street course....No Ovals. Here's the link: http://www.canoe.com/Slam030710/car_cart1-sun.html

P.S. rush 1, indyfool and sqw2....call up your friends Tony Boy-George, Gayhelio, Gil DeFerry and go have the Stroke-ethon somewhere else!