JPM 71
RS 58

...are getting good results lately.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 15:54 (Ref:704877)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Defining "CART drivers" some drivers who have in F1 for years is a little bit hazardous: in my opinion only CDM can still be defined like that; JPM has such an experience in F1 that it's hard to find a specific "CART-original" contribution to his present results.
However CDM seems to me underachieving: he surely deserves something better to run.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 16:17 (Ref:704904)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Juan was a Williams tester for a year before he went to CART! He's an F1 driver in my book!

Agree with you on Da Matta though.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 16:30 (Ref:704916)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely both are F1 drivers. Used to be CART drivers and have at various other times been F3000, F3, etc drivers.

Still that old sportscar driver is the one with the most wins.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 17:59 (Ref:704973)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the Radio Control racer is McLaren tester, alongside the BMX champion....
Old 1 Sep 2003, 18:06 (Ref:704985)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think Da Matta has underachieved. Considering that he's the only one without friday testing,a dn that more than half the tracks are completely new to him,a dn he hasn't raced on any of them for years (other than Montreal, and even that was backwards), he's done extremely well against Panis. Panis ahs been unlucky on ocassions, for sure, but in Canada Olivier scored thanks to Da Matta's leate car failure.

Another good question is, which of the current CART drivers could do a job in F1? In my view, Bourdais is ready, and Junquiera has showed that he'd be up to it. Tracy could, but he has some peronslaity flaws and is old to learn new things. In future, Manning, Haberfeld and Hunter-Reay might all be up to the job.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 22:08 (Ref:705155)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Da Matta has performed okay and that's it. He's good enough that even the very limited experience he gets on the tracks should put him further up. That said, when you qualify poorly it's very difficult to move up and grab points, even if you learn a course as the race progresses.

Contrary to popular belief, there are a substantial number of drivers that would do okay in F1. A good portion of the Atlantic drivers have the talent to be in F1, it's just a matter of experience.

JPM proved himself in CART as a world class driver at a time when CART had a comparable field to F1 (the best were not as good as the best in F1, but the overall average was similar). That said I wouldn't call him a product of the CART side of things like Da Matta. On the other hand he seems to keep in touch with CART so obviously it ment something to him.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 22:17 (Ref:705162)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
da Matta has done a good enough job to keep his job for another term, and I can't say he doesn't deserve it.

What impresses me about CdM is that throughout a race-weekend you can see him climbing the learning curve. He's often not too hot on Fridays, but he's better on Saturdays and has rarely been more than 5 seconds behind Panis after 10 laps of a GP. The tracks where he has done extensive testing have been where he has shone, Silverstone and Barcelona.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 22:36 (Ref:705171)   #9
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
that more than half the tracks are completely new to him,a dn he hasn't raced on any of them for years (other than Montreal, and even that was backwards),
What????
Did I miss something??

And are we leaving out JV in this little CART round-up :confused:

CART has been a good training ground for a good few F1 drivers recently....but It's way more than just that!
Old 1 Sep 2003, 23:28 (Ref:705200)   #10
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Juan was a Williams tester for a year before he went to CART! He's an F1 driver in my book!

Agree with you on Da Matta though.
Racing = Testing ?!?...... NOT. Change your book my friend.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 01:05 (Ref:705258)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over a hundred drivers test in F1 each year, 20 race. I've spoken with enough drivers to not be impressed by the "Tested an F1 car for <insert team name>" on their resume. Sometimes it's just a one off like Townsend Bell is getting.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 2 Sep 2003, 06:59 (Ref:705362)   #12
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
when did RS drive in CART?
Old 2 Sep 2003, 07:17 (Ref:705370)   #13
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
never, it´s just a comparison between RS and JPM , to show that the CART drivers are doing well
Old 2 Sep 2003, 11:44 (Ref:705554)   #14
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM was a full time Williams tester in 98 while winning the F3000 championship, and he got it on merit as Frankie was already grooming him for a full-time seat for 99 until JVil decided to retire to BARF-1 and Frankie sent him to CART because he didn't want two unproven drivers (the other being Ralf) so he took Zanardi to be the team leader for that year, except it didn't work out as planned. I don't think he got to F1 because of CART, but his 2 years there didn't hurt.

da Matta is the only one that I would consider to have gotten his F1 ride solely because of his CART record.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 15:06 (Ref:705757)   #15
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by *formula3*
never, it´s just a comparison between RS and JPM , to show that the CART drivers are doing well
Exactly...
Old 2 Sep 2003, 16:21 (Ref:705797)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
JPM was a full time Williams tester in 98 while winning the F3000 championship, and he got it on merit as Frankie was already grooming him for a full-time seat for 99 until JVil decided to retire to BARF-1 and Frankie sent him to CART because he didn't want two unproven drivers (the other being Ralf) so he took Zanardi to be the team leader for that year, except it didn't work out as planned. I don't think he got to F1 because of CART, but his 2 years there didn't hurt.
Villeneuve got his f1 ride through his CART record, his performances in Europe beforehand showed little of the brilliantce he nurtured by winning the 500 from 2 laps down, or taking his first win at Raod America. Perhaps it's because he had much less attention and pressure in the US

I'm a bit confused by the rest of the first paragraph, to be hoenst. Are you saying Frank Williams originally planned to have Villeneuve and Montoya as his 1999 lineup? What rubbish.

By early 1998 it was a badly-kept secret that Jacques was off to face a new challenge in the way people praise Michael for, and Frentzen had proved disappointing. Frank knew that he planned to change both drivers, especially as the team was in the limbo before BMW provided them with new works engines. So I see no reason to doubt that Zanardi and Ralf wqas the plan all along.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 17:33 (Ref:705846)   #17
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that does'nt go for all ex cart drivers:

JB 12
JV 3
Old 3 Sep 2003, 02:11 (Ref:706321)   #18
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Villeneuve got his f1 ride through his CART record, his performances in Europe beforehand showed little of the brilliantce he nurtured by winning the 500 from 2 laps down, or taking his first win at Raod America. Perhaps it's because he had much less attention and pressure in the US
Bernie wanted his name as much as he wanted his talent in F1. da Matta didn't have that luxury.

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by the rest of the first paragraph, to be hoenst. Are you saying Frank Williams originally planned to have Villeneuve and Montoya as his 1999 lineup? What rubbish.

By early 1998 it was a badly-kept secret that Jacques was off to face a new challenge in the way people praise Michael for, and Frentzen had proved disappointing. Frank knew that he planned to change both drivers, especially as the team was in the limbo before BMW provided them with new works engines. So I see no reason to doubt that Zanardi and Ralf wqas the plan all along.
Is that from the same sources that told you MS couldn't finish on the podium at every race in 02?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 11:16 (Ref:706750)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I never said Michael didn't, or couldn't, score podium finishes in every race last year. I just said that, with the same situation, Montoya could repeat the feat, and none of your *****y remarks have made me doubt that. But, it's easier to use an innacurate half-joke than actually respond to my comment, isn't it?
Old 12 Sep 2003, 19:50 (Ref:716873)   #20
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Da Matta !!! Great Q1 Lap
Old 12 Sep 2003, 22:01 (Ref:716977)   #21
corkholio
Veteran

LOL this was you exact quote: "If Montoya had the dominant car, experiecned personnel entirely on his side, and realtively weak opposition, as Michael did last year, I'm sure he'd be on the podium in every race. And I'm not sure Michael or Ralf could."

As most of what you said was speculation as much as mine, so there was no need for me to call it rubbish, though I am just trying to remind you to check your the facts you based it on since you seem to have a knack for ignoring them.