Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Oct 2003, 14:35 (Ref:750919)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Sore losers?

Grandprix.com

I'm just reading the race notes from drivers and teams from the last race and something disppoints me.

I recall for many years (dating back to the Mika Championships) the runners up and other teams would congratulate the winning Team and Driver in their press release.

Readin through Williams, Mclaren and Renault I can't see anything from a driver, and only congratulations from Patrick Head, Mario Theissen, Norbert Haug & Pat Symonds.

It seems Ralf, Juan, Frank, Kimi, David, Ron, Fernando, Jarno and Flav could'nt find anything to say. I also heard that when asked to comment on Michael and Ferrari's victory, Kimi and DC stared at each other in silence and refused to comment.

Not that it matters much, but does anyone find this a little odd? I have read congratulation posts form some absolute diehard Montoya, Kimi etc fans over the last few days. If we can get past these things, why cant the teams?

If there is another explanation (and I hope there is) I appologise, if not, this is very poor form IMO.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 14:38 (Ref:750926)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are they in some way obliged to congratulate the winner or what?

Sore losers whould be when they whine about it like 'he's got to be cheating!' and stuff...
Old 14 Oct 2003, 14:39 (Ref:750929)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I noticed the same thing, but didn't post here, for fear of being chastised. Not even Schumi's "fan" drivers such as Alonso, Button and Webber said anything. It seems very strange to me as well.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 14:41 (Ref:750932)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Are they in some way obliged to congratulate the winner or what?
Not obligated, but without question it is considered sporting. On football fields they shake each others hands, and the loser will congratulate the winner.

You dont have to fall to your knees chanting "We are not worthy, we are not worthy", but I know Michael congratulated Mika on both occassions, and Mika the same in return.

A good example:

Quote:
Dr. Mario Theissen

Congratulations to Michael Schumacher and Ferrari for having won both titles. They have been a little too strong for us, this time."
Quote:
Sore losers whould be when they whine about it like 'he's got to be cheating!' and stuff...
Are YOU sure you want that to be the definition of a sore loser?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 14:41 (Ref:750933)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Uhm..... yes?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 14:42 (Ref:750936)   #6
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suppose if we give them the benefit of the doubt, at least one representative from Willi, Mac and Renault did congratulate Michael and Ferrari. I don't recall how the form has gone in previous years, but it would be nice to hear congratulations from at least the top competing drivers - just my opinion, but I'm sure Michael would have congratulated Kimi had it gone that way.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 14:46 (Ref:750940)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Uhm..... yes?
I think possibly my learned colleague is asking you if you have made any references to a team cheating when your favourites have been beaten. But then again maybe not.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 14:49 (Ref:750944)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Uhm..... yes?
You dont want me to go diggin up your old posts again do ya keystrokes?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 15:13 (Ref:750961)   #9
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron does'nt usally congratulate people but its a surprise that Alonso did'nt.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 15:22 (Ref:750969)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Frank Williams wasn't well enough to travel to Japan, so I guess that lets him off the hook.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 15:32 (Ref:750983)   #11
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looked pretty evident that Alonso had his own woes.
In any case, if I were a driver who has witnessed the same face on the top step of the podium 70-something times in ten years, I'd probably feel peaved enough not to waste my breath on congratulations.
Especially so when the focus of the majority of those wins and championships has been the "battling" against records instead of competing against opponents.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 15:36 (Ref:750988)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Dennis and Alonso cannot be evaluated the same way: Ron Dennis is a real loser this year, cos even failed to put the new car on the track.

Alonso had an extremely positive year and he can be considered some way a winner; one possible reason of not congratulating MS in public is that he was highly upset after he had to retire when he was in a very good position to win the Japan GP.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 15:37 (Ref:750990)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Frank Williams wasn't well enough to travel to Japan, so I guess that lets him off the hook.
Superfluous to say, Stephen: who ever would dispute Frankie's sportmanship?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:40 (Ref:751073)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess it just gets a tad monotonous congratulating the same bloke year after year........

Last edited by Aysedasi; 14 Oct 2003 at 16:40.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:42 (Ref:751077)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
You dont want me to go diggin up your old posts again do ya keystrokes?

Nononononononoo!!
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:45 (Ref:751082)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by beau
Ron does'nt usally congratulate people but its a surprise that Alonso did'nt.
I disagree with this, however I am bored with battling against this kind of fallacy against Ron and McLaren.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:48 (Ref:751085)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From F1-live.com

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...14020328.shtml

Well there is one...

Despite posting this, i do generally agree with what Wrex has pointed out. Most years people are falling over themselves (Ron included) to congratulate them.

Maybe as Ayse suggests, it is just accepted that Ferrari win now! he he. Maybe it is that it is dull and a reporter would rather invent a Michael retire story? A bit of both?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:55 (Ref:751097)   #18
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Sore losers?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
It seems Ralf, Juan, Frank, Kimi, David, Ron, Fernando, Jarno and Flav could'nt find anything to say.
"Sore losers" ???

Why ?, because you haven't seen any "public" statement from them on TV/mag/Site ?

We don't know if those drivers called him directly or sent an e-mail to say "Congratulations Michael..."
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:56 (Ref:751098)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Norbert Haug
Congratulations to Michael Schumacher on his sixth World Championship title
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...12121055.shtml
Quote:
Patrick Head
Well done to Michael and Ferrari!
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...12123200.shtml
Quote:
Pat Symonds
Quote:
We also congratulate Michael and Ferrari: this has been a fitting end to a great season
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...12104852.shtml

Last edited by Adam43; 14 Oct 2003 at 17:07.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:56 (Ref:751099)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well MARK WEBBER had been quoted as saying when 2 races were left that he wanted MS to be WDC because he was the best!!

RALF congratualated MS by thrashing a TV!!

FA, JPM, KIMI, MAC and WILLIAMS? well i think its ungentlemen like not to come out and congratualate but well its a free world...... they can do what they like......
Old 14 Oct 2003, 17:04 (Ref:751106)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh, Ralf didn't congratulate him, surely Michael congratulated Ralf for his great avoidance of the Ferrari at the chicane!
Old 14 Oct 2003, 17:22 (Ref:751138)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Before anyone else jumping on this...

I would like to congratulate Michael Schumacher for winning his sixth world championship, the Ferrari team for winning their Constructor championship and Rubens Barrichello for winning the race and helping the team. I hope that the others teams continue their development and reach the edge to challenge and beat Ferrari next year.

phew... I feel much better now.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 17:33 (Ref:751150)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DAMN you BON!!! you stole my next thread idea!! I was gonna start a "BONONI is a sore loser thread"

and...... CONGRATS MS AND FERRARI!!!! i think they did a super job especially after HUNGARY ( and NO i am to converting into a TGF fan)
Old 14 Oct 2003, 17:33 (Ref:751151)   #24
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Wrex. The first bloke beaten should congratulate the winner. At least that is what my mum taught me. I have congratulated many people...

Wrex. Congrats on winning that Grand Prix manager thing...

Last edited by 903cc; 14 Oct 2003 at 17:34.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 17:39 (Ref:751161)   #25
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'O.K. you won it again, cheers, and now, get the f*** out of here!!'

-Jamie Hyneman