Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Oct 2003, 12:11 (Ref:762611)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Cheap Auto Re-signs With Steve Ellery

Australia’s largest auto retailer Super Cheap Auto has signed up with Steve Ellery Racing for another year quashing rumours that it would leave the Queensland based team.

Managing Director Bob Thorn announced today that the decision was partly based on his belief in the team’s ability to become a future force in V8 racing.

"Super Cheap Auto is involved in V8 Supercars for one reason and that is for exposure," Bob Thorn said.

"Steve Ellery Racing’s performance over the last several rounds has been impressive, we think that it is on the verge of accomplishing something very special.

"The Sandown and Bathurst results was very pleasing, the team earned its place on the podium, but our decision to remain with Steve Ellery Racing was not based on these two results alone.

"The team has showed marked improvement since Perth, and had it not been for situations beyond its control at Oran Park the team would have been travelling to Bathurst with four top-ten results to its name.

"We recognise that the category is one of the toughest in the world, there’s not much in it, but the team is improving, it’s shown that it is committed to success and is, I believe, a team capable of being a regular top-five performer.

"We’d like to think that several of those performances will transfer into podium placing’s.

"We have confidence in Steve Ellery as a driver and in the team. Albeit small it is a group of very talented, knowledgeable men and Bruce Ellery has put in place a solid, professional infrastructure."

Additionally Thorn was loath to break up the partnership after building such a strong team culture.

"Super Cheap Auto has developed a very strong, professional working relationship between the race team and our team members," Thorn said.

"Super Cheap Auto started small and worked hard to compete with, and beat, the largest auto retailers in the country, Steve Ellery Racing is akin to us, battling hard to win over the large teams in the V8 paddock, there are a lot of similarities between us.

"It is this shared culture that makes parting difficult. Super Cheap Auto can see that Steve Ellery Racing is able to compete and beat many of the leading V8 teams, and we think that we can get a lot out of this. Now would be the wrong time to leave."

Bob Thorn also announced that Steve Ellery would benefit from a renegotiated increase in budget for the 2004 season.

"Super Cheap Auto is understanding of the fact that knowledge and talent needs to be supported with budget, with this in mind we have increased the race team’s budget for 2004," Thorn said.

"Without giving away details, we are confident that this budget increase will make a difference.

"The deal is for one year at this stage, but with the expected improvement in the short term and some strong results, the aim of Super Cheap Auto is to be there for the long term."

With this announcement, Thorn hopes that all the incorrect rumours and innuendo will cease allowing the team to concentrate on racing.

"There were a lot of rumours going around the paddock that were just untruths," Thorn said.

"Our sponsorship agreement with Steve Ellery Racing was always valid through to the end of the 2003 season, we knew that and so did the team.

"Every business looks at its options seeking a best fit for the business, Super Cheap Auto was no different. We spoke with other teams attempting to ascertain what our options were and in the end realised that it was beneficial for us to stay with Steve Ellery Racing.

"The deal that we struck kept us on track, and Steve Ellery Racing also, so we are both very pleased with the outcome.

"Rather than listen to some of the rumours being spread it would have been easier for those spreading them to approach Super Cheap Auto officially and we would have told them that we were always in continuous negotiation with Steve Ellery Racing.

"Nothing had been signed off on, both Super Cheap Auto and Steve Ellery Racing knew this, it was wrong of some people to think otherwise."

Super Cheap Auto Racing driver Steve Ellery was thrilled to learn of the extended deal.

"This announcement couldn’t have come at a better time," Steve Ellery said.

"We’ve had a very close association with Super Cheap Auto over the last four years so we are very happy that this relationship will continue.

"We really do feel like we are part of the Super Cheap Auto family, we keep in very close contact with Bob Thorn, Tom Panic, Kevin McAulay and the rest of the team.

"Super Cheap Auto has done a lot to make sure that its team understands what we are all about. All its training managers come down to visit us and we give them a thorough tour of the workshop. It means a lot to us.

"I’m just glad that we can get on with the job of racing, knowing that we are going in the right direction and have the support of our sponsors.

"The last several rounds have been great but we’ve still got a lot that we want to achieve and we know that with continued hard work, we can reach our goals.

"We’ve got a very talented team here and with Super Cheap Auto we are looking forward to a long and successful relationship."

For Team Manager Bruce Ellery the early than expected announcement has helped in his plans for the 2004 season.

"Our contract with Super Cheap Auto was due for renegotiation at the end of the year….to have it sewn up between Bathurst and Indy is good for the team" Bruce Ellery said.

"We can seriously plan for two-thousand and four now and that is important.

"Part of the deal with Super Cheap Auto was that we retain our employees. Bob Thorn wanted to keep the entire team together as best we could because he could see how talented the boys are. This says an awful lot about the commitment, talent and character of our team, the boys should be very proud of themselves.

"We have learnt a lot this year on how to again become a competitive team, our goal is to build on this. We’ve enjoyed some success over the last several rounds, two podium’s and four top-ten placing’s is quite an achievement, we aim to build on this.

"Next year is an important year for Steve Ellery Racing and Super Cheap Auto, we want to think long-term. We’ve secured sponsorship in the short term we’re now looking at two-thousand and five and beyond."
Old 25 Oct 2003, 12:15 (Ref:762614)   #2
Levi
Rookie

Levi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um no offence RT but didn't Steve himself post this info (without the PR spin) a couple of days ago in the "Steve Ellery" thread
Old 25 Oct 2003, 12:19 (Ref:762619)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

He may well have done - however as I'mm not subscribed to that thread I didn;t see it - but, I will add, that this was issued yesterday (I missed it initially along with 2 others issued at the same time).

If you don;t believe it should have a thread of it's own, say so and I'll get it removed.

Sheesh!
Old 25 Oct 2003, 12:24 (Ref:762624)   #4
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we will leave it here. It deserves its own thread as it may shut up some of the rumor mungers. keep em coming racetime. mile:

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 25 Oct 2003, 12:28 (Ref:762629)   #5
RaceTime
Veteran

I just read the Steve Ellery thread to check - and granted, Steve did announce it - a 3 liner (no offence Steve) confirming the signing.

Like mtpanorama said - this IS the official confirmation (not that I doubted Steve in the first place) ad probably own;t be the last of this type of media release in the coming months (I guess if I see any release announcing Marcos has signed with 888 I needn't post it then - seeing as it has already been announced in here! :;
Old 25 Oct 2003, 12:29 (Ref:762630)   #6
Levi
Rookie

Nope, not of the thinking that it doesn't need it's own thread. Was just curious as to why you posted it now, and why when it was already posted is all.

Now I understand, life got busy and you skipped over some info
Old 25 Oct 2003, 12:31 (Ref:762631)   #7
Levi
Rookie

If Marcos jumps to 888 then I think it will be more than just press release material
Old 25 Oct 2003, 12:35 (Ref:762633)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

Actually, Levi - Steve made his announcement at 21:40 on Oct 23rd - Thurs night. The media release (which, btw isn't sent to anyone - you have to hunt for it) wasn't published until Oct 24th - Fri evening.

Life didn;t get busy - I forgot about looking in the Super Cheap 'post box' and had other pressing things to chase up - the South Korean F1 GP for one - the other story you will have to wait until Tuesday - maybe Wednesday - for....

Last edited by RaceTime; 25 Oct 2003 at 12:38.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 12:37 (Ref:762634)   #9
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Levi
If Marcos jumps to 888 then I think it will be more than just press release material
Like it has been said before in here by a coupleof team owners - don't count your chickens before they hatch and don't discount anything either. Not everyone is fed the same information - and not everyone has all the facts (even those that claim they do or those that claim they have a special inside knowledge/friendship with any team...)
Old 25 Oct 2003, 12:49 (Ref:762646)   #10
Levi
Rookie

I don't quite get why that was attached to that post, but okay.

I don't really care either way except that it would be nice to know why Holden Motorsport found it necessary to start this particluar rumour

And um re: the friends in teams, um who do you think I know in the SBR/Ambrose/888 thing????

Last edited by Levi; 25 Oct 2003 at 12:56.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 14:05 (Ref:762703)   #11
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's good for Ellery I guess.... as for Super Cheap though, well my Mum told me if I didn't have anything nice to say to keep my mouth shut....
Old 25 Oct 2003, 20:20 (Ref:762987)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Levi
And um re: the friends in teams, um who do you think I know in the SBR/Ambrose/888 thing????
Don't know and - to be honest - don't really care. I just find it odd that you continually remind us that you 'are in the know' with SBR. Personally, if I had a close relationship with a team or a special contact within a team I would be keeping my mouth shut and passing the information out more discreetly.

But that's how I work....

Last edited by RaceTime; 25 Oct 2003 at 20:21.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 21:26 (Ref:763021)   #13
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Marcos make a statement just before Saturdays race comfiming his links with SBR?
Old 25 Oct 2003, 21:45 (Ref:763030)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

I believe so - but so did Craig Lowndes a couple of years ago with HRT.....

Either way - I am not saying he is moving or staying - just that those with so called inside information should be careful how and when they use it.
Old 26 Oct 2003, 01:02 (Ref:763117)   #15
harderfaster
Rookie

harderfaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so did Russell with Holden.... Radisich with DJR... Wakefield with Morris...
Old 28 Oct 2003, 01:57 (Ref:765282)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A cynic might suggest it was a good thing the deal was announced BEFORE the weekend was concluded...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Oct 2003, 02:40 (Ref:765291)   #17
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RAcetime, are you getting Levi mixxed up with Lyris?
Old 28 Oct 2003, 05:09 (Ref:765358)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But car 31 was running very strongly on Saturday before the problems...
Old 28 Oct 2003, 05:33 (Ref:765367)   #19
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve got Bob Thorn all the publicity he needed at the Gold Coast event plus a personal interview just shows you don't have to win to get noticed however is the car ready to get onto the boat tomorrow. He at least has a panel beater on the coast but I'm told all panel beaters are busy this week given quotes for hail damage.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 05:35 (Ref:765370)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Ellery Sr got in first, the car would have been at the panelshop around 3pm Sunday... before the hail started
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Oct 2003, 05:57 (Ref:765380)   #21
Steve Ellery
Rookie

Steve Ellery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car arrived at the workshop at lunchtime today. Our panel beaters at Logan Village Smash Repairs have worked around the clock for two days and have done a remarkable job. Now the boys at the shop have a long night ahead of them but the good news is that we will make the boat tomorrow.

I have to thank my team for there inspiring hard work in the last 3 days and the Logan Village Smash Repairs team because they are absolute magicians.

Heres hoping I can repay them with a good result in NZ.

Steve
Old 28 Oct 2003, 07:16 (Ref:765410)   #22
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVKSS
RAcetime, are you getting Levi mixxed up with Lyris?
The only difference is the 'y' the 'r' and the 's'.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 07:39 (Ref:765422)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

HDTVKSS - I didn't mention any name in this regard - although there is more than one person lately with blinkered views.

GTR - re Tricky - don't know how he/she expects to get onto any forum when they don;t use a valid return email address when they register...
Old 28 Oct 2003, 07:50 (Ref:765430)   #24
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Steve, congratulations on the renewed increased sponsorship. I think SCA are getting a good deal out iof your team. Good on you for plugging the panel beaters too.

Whilst sitting in the stand during the champcar race, I saw the 888 team transporter heading north on the GC Highway. I thought, wow that's pretty impressive, meeting hasn't even finished and they are already packed up and homeward bound.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 08:05 (Ref:765451)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Teams based in Qld left early to get the re-preparation right before putting the trailers on the boat for NZ this afternoon.

No point hanging around if there is work to be done...

The Victorian based teams stayed in the Indy paddock Sunday/Monday to finish their preparation for the same journey.
#CANCERSUCKS