Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Nov 2003, 17:05 (Ref:774015)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Supporting the Support Series

From CART's website...

The new testing incentives are designed to reward Atlantic teams that aspire to the Champ Car World Series, and also benefits existing Champ Car teams that give Atlantic drivers a chance to test (ChampCars).

For 2004, Champ Car teams will have eight days of testing for veteran drivers and 12 days for rookies. In addition, Atlantic teams moving up to Champ Cars will get an extra pair of days, while existing Champ Car teams are eligible for two extra days of testing per car, provided that they use those days to test with a driver that finished in the top 10 in the 2003 Toyota Atlantic standings.

"We are making a commitment to the next generation of Champ Car drivers and we expect our teams to embrace the chance to aid in their development," said CART Senior Vice-President of Operations John Lopes. "We are also creating incentives for our Atlantic teams to move up, which is equally important to our future."

Rules have also been put into place that will ensure that a number of different drivers get the opportunity to test the Champ Cars as none of the drivers on the list can run more than four of the new test days. Series champion A.J. Allmendinger heads the list of drivers that are eligible for the new program along with Ryan Dalziel, Michael Valiante, Jonathan Macri, Aaron Justus, Danica Patrick, Joey Hand, Luis Diaz, Alex Figge and Kyle Krisiloff.

CART is also looking at a Spring Training-type of preseason test which would include three days of on-track action, with dates and times to be announced in the near future.

http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7359
Old 5 Nov 2003, 17:44 (Ref:774046)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure this will make a difference. 14 days testing for a guy out of Atlantic V 12 days for a guy out of F3000 dosn't make the Atlantic guys a better bet, as quite often the F3000 guys are more ready for CART.

Atlantic's problem is that it's a rich boy's playground and there's a lot of suspicious as to the equality of the cars (F3000 has its problems as well though). I still think IndyLights was the better series.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 23:35 (Ref:774331)   #3
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is a good plan. The rule doesn't say that all 14 days have to be used to test the Atlantic driver. It says that they will be given two extra days to test a top Atlantic driver.

It will at least give some Atlantic folks a shot they may not otherwise get and many teams could use the extra 2 days to test stuff even if it were a monkey behind the wheel.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 01:01 (Ref:774365)   #4
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think a team will hire a Toyota Atlantic driver because they will get to have him test two more days than an F3000 driver. I do think it will give a few of the Toyota Atlantic drivers a chance to test for a team that might not have previously gotten a chance. The chance to prove themselves may land one or two a part or full time ride.

Anything that can be done to strengthen the C^RT ladder system is good IMHO. Not much good having a ladder system if we don't pull from it. I don't sugest we only pull talent from the T.A. drivers. I think it's more important to do what we can to make the T.A. drivers the best we can so they are the first choice when looking for a new driver.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 01:10 (Ref:776467)   #5
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a good atempt at getting more Atlantic drivers to get rides, but I seriouly question its effectiveness. Anyway I thougth formula BMW was going to replace Atlantics in the ladder or was it Barber Dodge Pro.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 03:10 (Ref:776538)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Barbers, I think.