Closed Thread

Old 12 Nov 2003, 04:16 (Ref:780616)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button Target Wins..

Button claims he is in the best shape yet to win races in 2004. He wants wins, not just podium.

"Maybe I'm going to be one of those drivers whose first time on the podium will be on the top step," Button told Autosport.

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?s=5&id=25258
Old 12 Nov 2003, 04:25 (Ref:780623)   #2
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think both BAR & Honda have a long way to go before that happens but at least he is going into next season being positive.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 04:50 (Ref:780628)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
BAR have definatly gone in the right direction this season. They will not be up there fighting for championships thats for sure, but i believe that under the right circumstances they could pull off a "Jordan style" win.

Had it not been for...

a) an engine failure

b) Michael

Jenson could well have pulled off one of those surprises at Indy this year.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 05:18 (Ref:780637)   #4
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup. I think his aim is too high. I don't see him or BAR winning a race next year, but a couple of podiums are posible.

BAR, also non Ferrari/Williams/McLaren drivers just needs to qualify well and do their own good race, and hope that the big three (the big four, plus Renault?) have a few retirements, or circumstance like Brazil/Indy.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 05:25 (Ref:780639)   #5
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
a bit optimistic IMO!!

BAR, competitive enough to win races, i suppose if something like brazil happens to him. But he isnt THAT good. Really. Benneton should've kept Wurz for the 00 season, he wouldve at least consistently taken it to Fisi and qualify in the top 15. Button career is astounding, hes stepping lower and lower. Williams, Renualt, BAR???
Old 12 Nov 2003, 05:52 (Ref:780657)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
BAR have definatly gone in the right direction this season. They will not be up there fighting for championships thats for sure, but i believe that under the right circumstances they could pull off a "Jordan style" win.

Had it not been for...

a) an engine failure

b) Michael

Jenson could well have pulled off one of those surprises at Indy this year.
There's an old saying that to finish first, first you have to finish which killed any chance of Button winning at Indy without even going in to the fact that there was a certain German in a red car beating him quite comfortably.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 07:34 (Ref:780695)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Correct there Jet, i wasn't trying to say that he would have won, just using that as an example that for a couple (of major) things, he was nearly there.

Who would have thought that Fisi in a Jordan would win a race this season, irrespective of how lucky it was? But it sometimes happens.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 08:02 (Ref:780723)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
Agreed V, i think there'd be nothing better for the sport than to have a Jenson Button or Mark Webber win as having an underdog win would bring the right sort of publicity to the sport.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 11:57 (Ref:780914)   #9
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, it's good to see new faces on the top step. Can't help but feel Jenson will be disappointed though, but heres hoping.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 12:18 (Ref:780930)   #10
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Skam85
a bit optimistic IMO!!

Button career is astounding, hes stepping lower and lower. Williams, Renualt, BAR???
I agree it s optimistic. BTW Renault were when Button was there.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 14:51 (Ref:781078)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bridgestone proved to be BAR's main problem last seaosn, plus the fact that things went against Jenson in the main races that the Bridgestones were ahead. They were comfortably the 5th best team overall, and were certainly unlucky not to score at least oen podium.

For 2004 they've got 2 drivers fighting it out, motivated and improving, and should have strong backing from Honda. Targetting wins is fair enough, as long as he's not expecting to dominate races. I'd be astounded if he finishes the season without any podiums.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 15:49 (Ref:781111)   #12
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a race like Brazil and anyone could win, i agree that a win is possibly too high but i think a podium is a relaistic target, best of luck to Jenson next year.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 17:14 (Ref:781204)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah i agree with SMOKEY!! Button can only win IF we have another race like Brazil this year!! BAR just dont have the pace to match RENAULT (4rth best) nor do they have the reliability!!!

Honda engines were terrible this year!!
Old 12 Nov 2003, 17:50 (Ref:781236)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just you wait......BAR will surprise everyone this year, though hopefully in a positive manner this time!
Old 12 Nov 2003, 18:00 (Ref:781246)   #15
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Button's thinking his first podium might not be in a BAR?
Old 12 Nov 2003, 20:58 (Ref:781402)   #16
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
yeah i agree with SMOKEY!! Button can only win IF we have another race like Brazil this year!! BAR just dont have the pace to match RENAULT (4rth best) nor do they have the reliability!!!

Honda engines were terrible this year!!

Honda engines?? Come on! The car was very unreliable but the motor was the least of their problems. Be realistic.
Honda did poorly in building a car that would finish races. The issues werer gearbox related and electronic. The gearbox was not built by them.

As of Button getting wins, well anything is possible. Renault had one this year. I did not think they would have. Also Alonzo had fast lap in Canada!! Anything can happen. All things being equal, JB is being optimistic but with proper strategy and some luck I am sure they can do it. At the end of the season they were as fast as Renault who had a win.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 21:00 (Ref:781404)   #17
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see it happen. But if the car this year is as bad as the 2003 car, it's not likely. I hope the car is much better.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 21:54 (Ref:781445)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Honda engines?? Come on! The car was very unreliable but the motor was the least of their problems. Be realistic.
Realisticly, it was a Honda engine failure that prevented the BAR of Jenson getting a podium at Indy iirc
Old 12 Nov 2003, 22:15 (Ref:781460)   #19
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bar have already surprised me, bow bowing to corperate pressure from honda, and accepting Sato rammed down BAR's neck. I thought Dave Richards had more credablity than that, I am sure that Sato has been signed on tallen and not becuase of honday, just look at jordan eh??

I hope button does well, and BAR also, I have had high hopes for bar each year hoping they will really get it together and score a win and really raise the bar from tyrell.

I suppose this year will really be make or break for Sato.

Good talent in the lower formula, disasterous F1 debut, lots of testing, and being involved with developing the car he's going to drive next year, so no excuses.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 22:31 (Ref:781473)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Skam85
Benneton should've kept Wurz for the 00 season, he wouldve at least consistently taken it to Fisi and qualify in the top 15.
Well, the evidence from the preceding seasons would rather suggest not, wouldn't it?
Old 12 Nov 2003, 23:31 (Ref:781533)   #21
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor wee Bunsen has a lot of pressure on him next year - he'll be out on his arse if he doesn't get a podium, Honda will make sure of that.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 23:34 (Ref:781535)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
Poor wee Bunsen has a lot of pressure on him next year - he'll be out on his arse if he doesn't get a podium, Honda will make sure of that.
Yer, right
Old 13 Nov 2003, 01:15 (Ref:781561)   #23
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Realisticly, it was a Honda engine failure that prevented the BAR of Jenson getting a podium at Indy iirc
Grrrrrr!! Thems fighitin words. Ok, so you have a point. At Indy Honda tried to make a big step up in power and it blew up in their faces, literally We should realize that it was their 2nd and 3rd motor related failures all year. Thats a huge improvement.

By the way if anyone is interested in the context of Buttons statements check out his Autosport interview. JB said he always races to win.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 01:30 (Ref:781570)   #24
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the optimism from Button. It's certainly refreshing after all the pessimism shown by that "other" BAR driver over the years!

Next year is going to be a new and fresh start for BAR, and Button's comments have signalled it's beginning!

Danica Patrick
Old 13 Nov 2003, 04:32 (Ref:781646)   #25
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least Button hasn't been stupid enough to say he would retire if he can't beat Sato. Yet.
Closed Thread