Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:20 (Ref:813005)   #1
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART's New Name!?

Quote:
Starting next year, CART Champ Car World Series will be known as the Open Wheel Champ Car World Series.
From MotorSport.com: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=143252

Open Wheel/CART finalize agreement
Racing series BUSINESS CART
Date 2003-12-15 (Lansing, Michigan)

By Nancy Schilke - Motorsport.com

Open Wheel Racing Series, LLC announced today that they have finalized negotiations with CART, Inc. to take over assets of that company. The new owners are now looking toward 2004, as only the final step, court approval of CART's Chapter 11 bankruptcy, is pending.

Starting next year, CART Champ Car World Series will be known as the Open Wheel Champ Car World Series.

Contracts with all the series promoters, sponsors, and teams along with to be named assets have, according to OWRS, been completed, including the rights to the Atlantic Championship Series. The future of the Barber Dodge Pro and the Barber Formula Series, both currently under the CART umbrella, has not, however, been announced at this time.

Paul Gentilozzi, one of the partners for OWR, commented, "Effective immediately, we are ready to begin work to implement our vision for Champ Car in 2004 and for many seasons beyond.

"Our goal throughout this process was for an expedient resolution so the teams and sponsors could proceed with full confidence. We're extremely grateful to all the sponsors, teams, promoters and fans that have expressed their ongoing encouragement. Their loyalty has been phenomenal."

The transaction took longer than expected, as the negotiations originally started on September 10, 2003. CART and OWRS have had their share of ups and downs in the process, which can be expected in a complex acquisition. However, the protracted deal left many to question if there would, in fact, be a Champ Car series in 2004.

"This was an extremely complex deal," expressed Kalkhoven. "I pride myself in my knowledge and expertise in acquisitions and mergers, but I was surprised by the complexity of the transaction."

Gentilozzi has a stake in the outcome as do his partners in OWRS, Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerald Forsythe. All three are Champ Car team owners and they understand the issues that current team owners may have. One team, Walker Racing, has been actively testing new drivers at Sebring, Florida over the past week. The future of the sport does depend on the confidence that team owners have in the new company.

Forsythe commented, "This was absolutely the right move for the future and longevity of Champ Car. I have every confidence that this decision will prove successful."

Other news out of Lansing and Indianapolis today was the announcement that Richard P. Eidswick has been appointed by OWRS as the Chief Executive Officer to see the transition of CART, Inc. through the Chapter 11 proceedings.

"I'm confident that the Champ Car World Series will emerge from the bankruptcy process stronger than ever," said Eidswick. "I look forward to working with all parties involved to build on our strengths and explore new opportunities as we position Champ Car for 2004 and beyond."

Now, after months of speculation and rumours, the words 'let's go racing' can mean the security that Champ Car will continue. 2003 Champ Car World Series champion Paul Tracy, among other top Champ Car stars and new drivers, including the 2003 Atlantic title holder, A.J. Allmendinger, will compete on the streets of Long Beach in April to open the new season for the new owners.

Last edited by Dov; 16 Dec 2003 at 12:24.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:23 (Ref:813006)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
A little long winded is'nt it.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:28 (Ref:813009)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Agree!....but at least we will be a racin'.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:31 (Ref:813010)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
indeed

Hoorah for OWCCWS!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:42 (Ref:813022)   #5
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
That's "BPTOWCCWSPBF"....
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:45 (Ref:813026)   #6
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe we'll just be referring to it as "Champ Car" much like Nextel Cup will be referred to as Nextel Cup and not NASCAR Nextel Cup Stock Car Racing.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:58 (Ref:813039)   #7
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: CART's New Name!?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
... including the 2003 Atlantic title holder, A.J. Allmendinger...
Old 16 Dec 2003, 13:15 (Ref:813053)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by gaines
I believe we'll just be referring to it as "Champ Car" much like Nextel Cup will be referred to as Nextel Cup and not NASCAR Nextel Cup Stock Car Racing.
I'm only joking around....I'll continue to call it CC or CCWS.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 14:25 (Ref:813115)   #9
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't care what they call it, just as long as they call it open for business.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 14:50 (Ref:813135)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 14:53 (Ref:813137)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm stunned that it is getting pulled off in such a convincing manner
now will Paul gentilozzi fix Trans-Am and let the tube frames all come and play?
Old 16 Dec 2003, 15:06 (Ref:813144)   #12
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be cool! A ChampCar/TransAm ticket would be a good purchase.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:17 (Ref:813386)   #13
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Things are a lot better around here when we can now argue about the series name being too long.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:20 (Ref:813394)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It'll still be CART to me
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:23 (Ref:813396)   #15
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
That's "BPTOWCCWSPBF"....
At this rate they will still be saying it when the race ends! CART I prefer Champ car never sounded right to me.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 21:28 (Ref:813458)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That will be the official name. No doubt people will continue to call it ChampCars or CART.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 02:01 (Ref:813652)   #17
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long Live CART/Champ Cars/BPTOWCCWSPBF/whatever
Old 17 Dec 2003, 02:30 (Ref:813659)   #18
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who the hell cares what it's called

CHAMPCARS forever
Old 17 Dec 2003, 05:08 (Ref:813687)   #19
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about; Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered By Ford That Used To Be CART Until The Corporate Suits Went And Messed It All Up, Some Going This Way Some Going That Way Until We Found Ourselves Where We Are Today Which Begs The Question Where Are We.

BPTCCWSPBFTUTBCUTCSWAMIUSGTWSGTWUWFOWWATWBTQWAW for short. Sorry it just came out.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 05:17 (Ref:813688)   #20
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They still use the Indy name with all promotions on the Gold Coast including Indy girls the Indy under ball etc I can't see it changing under the new name change it's to long.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 05:28 (Ref:813690)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They still will in Canada too... the 'Molson Indy' name is much more known than 'Champcar' is. Heck, half the people in Toronto even refer to them as 'Indycars'. In a way, I don't think there's any dropping the Indy connection... I mean, that is where these cars came from, and a part of our history. If we want a fresh start, we'll have to start building the Champcar name.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Dec 2003, 06:03 (Ref:813696)   #22
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With OWRS taking over it's a really good time to sweep out the old, and the sooner Toronto, Surfers etc start using 'Champcar' the better.
It's all new so right now's a good time to start.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 06:37 (Ref:813705)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm just going to call it open wheel racin'. I never much liked the champ car tag. The american grand prix championship would be fine.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 06:37 (Ref:813706)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They still will in Canada too... the 'Molson Indy' name is much more known than 'Champcar' is. Heck, half the people in Toronto even refer to them as 'Indycars'. In a way, I don't think there's any dropping the Indy connection... I mean, that is where these cars came from, and a part of our history. If we want a fresh start, we'll have to start building the Champcar name.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Dec 2003, 07:43 (Ref:813732)   #25
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally the more sounbding is the name, the less substance is there behind; i'd prefer a shorter and simpler acronym.
After all, the "pinnacle" of racing is called "just" F1.