Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

View Poll Results: Who had a better season in 1999, Dario Franchitti or Juan Montoya?
Juan Montoya 34 70.83%
Dario Franchitti 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Jan 2004, 00:15 (Ref:831084)   #1
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who had a better season in 1999, Dario Franchitti or Juan Montoya?

I was just wondering who y'all think had the better season in '99. They both ended up tied for first in the final standings at 212 points, but Juan was given the championship due to his seven wins to Dario's three. I believe it was Dario. For him to match Juan in points, he had to have a better finishing average than Juan. According to the info at CART.com, Dario had an average finish of about 7th and Juan had an average finish of 8th (My math may be wrong).

Last edited by mandretti39; 8 Jan 2004 at 00:17.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 00:27 (Ref:831097)   #2
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I respect drivers who finish in the points on a regular basis, I have always preferred the drivers who push the envelope and go after the wins....so my vote goes to Juan Montoya.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 01:50 (Ref:831139)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya no question. Brilliant rookie year!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 Jan 2004, 05:56 (Ref:831223)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM. Average finishing position means nothing comapared to victories.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 06:37 (Ref:831236)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Had to vote Montoya, but at the time I was rooting Franchitti!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 06:39 (Ref:831239)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Funny how, in CART, he was JM.
In F1, he becomes JPM.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 07:09 (Ref:831250)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Montoya, 7 wins and 7 poles in his rookie season.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 09:45 (Ref:831317)   #8
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Funny how, in CART, he was JM.
In F1, he becomes JPM.
When he first came to CART, he wanted to be called Juan Pablo Montoya. I remember that vividly from the first few races. Then the commentators switched it to just Juan Montoya because that's how names are used in the states. Not sure if Juan wanted it that way, but that's how his name was used.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 17:31 (Ref:831781)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montoya was definately the better driver, especailly once you consider that he was the rookie. His demolition of Jimmy Vasser was astounding, and he could have surely rivalled Zanardi from the word go as well. Unlike Alex, he didn't struggle to convert his pace into results for the first few races - he was immediately into the fray in a way unseen in any rookie bar Mansell, who was hardly inexperienced.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 21:36 (Ref:832023)   #10
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan Montoya. He was EXCELLENT, especially for a rookie.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 23:32 (Ref:832142)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan Pablo Montoya. I remember I knew he could do something big, but I didn't expect him to challenge at his second race - Motegi.
Dario was very constant, but he was no longer a rookie and in the same Reynard-Honda-Firestone package he was matched by a rookie.
And Juan won 7 races and 7 poles. He screwed up big time at Houston (together with Chip) and Surfers, but if he hadn't he would've wrapped up the title at Houston.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 05:13 (Ref:832311)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Easiest question ever. For the most part it wasn't JPM's fault that he didn't have a much higher points total. The points did not tell the story of his performance relative to Dario.

Didn't JPM crash in Houston coming out of a blind corner into someone else who had crashed and blocked the track?

I have to admit I NEVER cheered for JPM in CART. Even so always highly respected his abilities. I at the time I hoped he'd do worse simply because I thought he made CART look bad.

My personal opinion is that JPM is/was the fastest driver from a raw speed perspective on the planet. Half way through '99 I really wanted to see him go up against MS because I was pretty sure I knew how it would go! I was right, although I've been a bit surprised at his lack of consistent results in F1. Then again, 2001 was his rookie season and his car was unreliable and his car was outclassed. In 2002 the car simply wasn't at pace for the races although he clearly had some pace. In 2003 there was clearly some team problems.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 10:48 (Ref:832500)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya, because realy, wouldn't you think that 99 was a year Franchitti would rather forget?
Old 9 Jan 2004, 14:17 (Ref:832681)   #14
GT-Vixen
Rookie

GT-Vixen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario for sure. He didn't try and kill other drivers to win his championship, or did everyone miss that race?
Old 9 Jan 2004, 14:27 (Ref:832690)   #15
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by camcartfan
When he first came to CART, he wanted to be called Juan Pablo Montoya. I remember that vividly from the first few races. Then the commentators switched it to just Juan Montoya because that's how names are used in the states. Not sure if Juan wanted it that way, but that's how his name was used.
Same thing with Cristiano DA Matta, he had his name changed offically as he was getting annoyed at being called Cristiano Matta in CART. Seems to of switched back for F1 though. Anyway I digress...

Franchitti & Montoya (from a Franchitti on CART/JPM in F1 supporter) where pretty even though JPM was at times dirty he was not on level some drivers I can think of. Franchitti worked hard and in the last race the loose wheel nut cost him several places and the championship and to be far I do not think his crew was totally up for it after Moore lost his life and the team and DF/GM where friends. I think the tied score reflects fairly on them both and although JPM won it will probably never be beaten (if we including count back scores) as the closest title fight in CART.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 17:15 (Ref:832841)   #16
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya. More wins, more at the front of the races. Average finishing position means nothing - in this case it just means Montoya had more retirements than Dario.

GT-Vixen, are you thinking of the near incident with Andretti?
Old 9 Jan 2004, 17:50 (Ref:832866)   #17
The Treester
Racer

The Treester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario, get real folks, Dario is ur idea race car driver in the cockpit. He doesn't abuse the machine one bit and is so smooth even on street course. TECHNICALLY Dario is the better race car driver. TALENT, its JPM, for you macdday. Wins count at the end but let us be realistic, at the right place at the right time, any driver can win. Think about the last two years of race winners!

If JPM was a better technical driver, he would have won F1 this year, easily. Don't get me wrong, I like Montoya. I wanted to name my son Juan Pablo Montoya but the wife said no! The two driving styles are like comparing apples and oranges.

We need more talentive in Champ Cars!

Old 9 Jan 2004, 18:03 (Ref:832881)   #18
The Treester
Racer

The Treester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snrub,

u can say the same thing about MS when he was trying to beat Mika and David in the late 90's. Or even in the Benneton, I'm diggin a ditch here, I feel it! I'll tell you this, he has definitely matured since his F3000 days. He was the same way in F3000 as he was in CART and his rookie year in F1. Check out some old footage of JPM, especially his excuse in the 2nd chicane at Monza! Sorry can't remember the year!
Old 9 Jan 2004, 23:48 (Ref:833133)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM drove really wild in CART because he COULD, not because it wasn't driving well. What made/makes him truely special his is reaction ability to the car's movements. Anyone will tell you that smooth is the fastest way to race. They are right and that's how Dario races. JPM is unique, he's able to drive OVER the limit and not be penalized because he reacts so quickly. In fact his reactions are so incredible that he is faster than someone else driving smoothly. I liken it to a computerized control systems. JPM is a technical driver, just not the kind we're use to seeing. (Unless we're saying who can setup the car better?)

I'm not understanding where the 'dangerous' and 'dirty' comments are comming from? JPM never got in an avoidable accident with his teammate in CART that I can remember.

I remember in '99 @ Nazereth when PT and JPM were battling for the pole. JPM made a comment about sliding the car on hot laps. Oval setups and especially qualifying setups are extremely lose and finicy. If one end of the car loses grip you crash or lose a LOT of time. PT made fun of JPM's "silly rookie comments." Normally PT would have been right to say that. Guess who took pole? Even agressive guys like Zanardi and PT drive smoothly.

JPM's average finishing position was not really his fault. If you disagree back it up.

Watching MS race pre-2001 I was never convinced that any F1 driver could beat him in the same car. Mika and DC always looked like amatures compared to MS. In fact I think both were increbibly reliant on their machinery.

Last edited by Snrub; 9 Jan 2004 at 23:50.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 00:21 (Ref:833169)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be honest.... I don't remember.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 10 Jan 2004, 00:23 (Ref:833170)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by GT-Vixen
Dario for sure. He didn't try and kill other drivers to win his championship, or did everyone miss that race?
Or maybe you watched a different race JPM, or anybody else doesn't go out and try to kill other drivers!
Old 10 Jan 2004, 01:58 (Ref:833260)   #22
GT-Vixen
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Or maybe you watched a different race JPM, or anybody else doesn't go out and try to kill other drivers!
Yeah well when a driver PUSHES another driver into a wall on an OVAL track, which FYI is faster then even F1, that to me doesn't seem like gentalman racing. Oh and getting out of your car after a bad practice to swear and go off at your team boss ain't that great either. (Infront of cameras). Oh and when he blamed JV for someones death, that was great too...should I keep going?
Oh and Mr V, why did you roll your eyes at me? It's my opinion, you don't like it...well stiff
Quote:
GT-Vixen, are you thinking of the near incident with Andretti?
Near? I can remember it very well I don't remember it only being near.

That's just what JPM does, he did it in his rookie year in F1 too with MS. The F1 guys are lucky they have all street tracks with JPM racing with them. lol.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 02:06 (Ref:833263)   #23
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah, that's right, MS has NEVER pushed anybody off the track in his career.

Last edited by Dov; 10 Jan 2004 at 02:07.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 02:22 (Ref:833273)   #24
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
better year in 99?...montoya and 1 race sums it up.....indy 500....both he an dario are hugely talented, but who's driving a williams in f1 this year, with a mclaren contract in his pocket for 2005, and an excellent shot at a world championship?.....then again, dario does have ashley........
Old 10 Jan 2004, 02:53 (Ref:833283)   #25
GT-Vixen
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Oh yeah, that's right, MS has NEVER pushed anybody off the track in his career.
Do you have any idea about oval tracks? Maybe ask Alex Zinardi?

Tags
jpm