Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 12 Mar 2004, 12:51 (Ref:903165)   #1
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Polarising filters with DSLR

Are there any issues regarding the use of polarisers with Digital SLRs? I'm sure i've seen somebody saying that the white balance has to be adjusted to take the polarising into account, but i'm not sure why that would be.

Also, do any of you use polarisers when taking racing shots?

cheers,

Gav
Old 12 Mar 2004, 13:23 (Ref:903220)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good question gav - I must admit I rarely use polarisers these days, but I have them, of course. Anyone have any advise here about polarisers - or filters in general, for that matter?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 12 Mar 2004 at 13:24.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 14:04 (Ref:903267)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I use a Skylight 1-A filter on my lense all the time. Partly for warming up colors and partly for protection of my lense. When needed I'll use a circular polarizer to reduce glare (I shoot a lot on water). White spots and burnouts cannot be easily fixed in Photoshop so sometimes a polarizer is useful.
Never forget #99
Old 12 Mar 2004, 14:07 (Ref:903268)   #4
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but you don't have to adjust anything else to use the polariser?
Old 15 Mar 2004, 14:10 (Ref:905927)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No adjustment. You just need to know that the polarizer will cost you about 1/3rd to 1/2 an fstop. Other than that I just adjust the polarizer to the amount of light filtering I need and shoot away.
Never forget #99
Old 15 Mar 2004, 16:28 (Ref:906062)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I certainly always use a skylight - have done for as long as I remember......
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:45 (Ref:917916)   #7
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use a polarizer (along with a skylight) for most of my day shots with the 1D. In overcast light I'll take it off as it gives the windshields a rainbow effect (and at night too of course). No better way to get the glare off the windshield so you can see the driver...

without
http://www.racingfanatics.com/MS04ALMSSebring0150.jpg

with
http://www.racingfanatics.com/MS04ALMSSebring2927.jpg

with + flash
http://www.racingfanatics.com/MS04ALMSSebring2928.jpg

Martin
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:57 (Ref:917940)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Nice pics Martin, and good illustration.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 14:16 (Ref:917964)   #9
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
Really good point, if you've got enough light, a polariser makes a lot of sense for racing shots.

That does rely slightly on having a lens whose filter mount doesn't rotate during focusing, but my new ones (ordering today!) will, so i think i'll try playing with a polariser at races this year.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 17:31 (Ref:920287)   #10
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True. I use all Canon lenses and they all have fixed front ends...

Martin