Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Mar 2004, 15:58 (Ref:918048)   #1
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wilson to conquest...

Wilson set for Conquest drive
Champ Cars beckon for F1 refguee

From Autosport.com:

Wilson will make the announcement this week

Former Jaguar Formula 1 driver Justin Wilson will confirm his move to the Champ Car World Series later this week. The 25-year old is expected to join Conquest Racing, who are in the process of switching from Reynard to Lola chassis.

Team owner Eric Bachelart, who ran Mario Haberfeld in the 2003 championship, said: "The first race is very close. There is a lot of will here to sign Justin. We are waiting for some final decisions, and hope to make an announcement this week."

The first race is very close. There is a lot of will here to sign Justin
Eric Bachelart

Wilson's manager, former F1 racer Jonathan Palmer added: "We're in serious dialogue. If a deal is going to happen it will be announced in the next couple of days."

Wilson raced in the Sebring 12 Hours last weekend, but was forced to retire. From there he headed to Conquest's base in Indianapolis, and is hoping to start testing in the very near future.

Old 24 Mar 2004, 16:01 (Ref:918052)   #2
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I can say is - good luck Justin. Gonna be a nervous few days. Really hope this is done 'n dusted before next week!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 16:02 (Ref:918054)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks for the info, Spider!! It sounds like great news, but I'm not going to crack open a beer until it's official....I've got my fingers crossed!!! Here is the link: http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=26505&s=7
Old 24 Mar 2004, 17:56 (Ref:918179)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another tall guy for our side!

Pretty soon we'll have enough signed up so we can start our Fantasy Grid for 2004. Start thinking about who you want to sign up for your team.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 22:38 (Ref:918473)   #5
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great! I wanted him in CART last year, so I hope this works out!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:13 (Ref:918511)   #6
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only a major mishap will prevent Wilson and Conquest to work together.

The two parties have been talking since well before the Long Beach launch - and the fact that the powers-to-be gave a nihil obstat to a reputable magazine such as Autosport to print it tells a lot about how close to conclusion this deal is.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 00:59 (Ref:918603)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news (assuming it's true), I'm thrilled that we're getting Wilson and that Conquest will be around. I look at him as the guy who was quiet promising at Minardi. The Jaguar experience means little or nothing. Note, if you disagree with me consider that Pizzonia can run competitive laps with Ralf and Montoya but didn't run within 2 seconds of Webber. This doesn't make any sense.

I hope Haberfeld gets a ride because I thought he was quiet good last year, but it looks like a lot of good drivers aren't going to get rides for 2004.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:08 (Ref:918606)   #8
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so where does Mario Haberfeld end up in all of this?
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:09 (Ref:918607)   #9
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand that Mário Haberfeld has had talks with at least two top teams of the Brazilian Stock Cars series.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 06:25 (Ref:918766)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wilson won the F3000 championship while Haberfeld consistently struggled.

If that form carries over, he's good news.

A great addition to the series.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 07:00 (Ref:918786)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
So would be Salo, and everybody knows that.
Including the Hombres.
I hope that Phillippe proves to be something special. I still can't believe that he's only seventeen! Should prove to be a bummer for him when everybody else goes out for a few drinks on Sunday night. (It would be funny if he were sponsored by a brewery!) I wish him, and the team, well.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 09:34 (Ref:918892)   #12
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If RuSport gets their car set up properly, watch for AJ to dominate. Yes, hold me to my words!
Old 25 Mar 2004, 12:35 (Ref:919053)   #13
Testure
Veteran

There's a small piece about this on grandprix.com now. I'd no idea that Chris Mower was involved with Conquest, that's gotta be good for Justin chances - both of getting the ride and of doing well during the season. I haven't heard anyone mention Michel driving for Conquest, but it's not such a bad idea?
Old 25 Mar 2004, 12:36 (Ref:919055)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will offer him the services of a really good hairdresser though -- he reminds me of Tiny Tim at the present!

But I wish him good luck and will be watching to see how he drives.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 13:08 (Ref:919088)   #15
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of luck to him. Oddly I met Justin at the CART race at brands last year, being walked about with Dr. Palmer.

I wonder....
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:08 (Ref:919152)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One Note:

Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of watching Justin Wilson race at Sebring as the lead driver for the Taurus Sport Lola-Judd entry....

When the other two drivers were in the car, the entry was a very ordinary ride....

When Justin drove it, it was a rocketship on rails....we're talking about a 4-year-old-chassis being fielded by a tight-budget (bute very talented!!!) race team operation....

I had seen him practice at the USGP over the past few years, and he didn't seem to stand out like he did on Saturday....

He will be a superb addition to the Champ Car lineup....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:15 (Ref:919159)   #17
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck to the man He's out-raced Bourdais in F3000, and I rate Seb VERY highly, infact IMO there is no-one faster in CC. So, as F3000 cars have similar characteristics expect Wilson to be VERY fast...just want to see more of his personality now, then he'll go far...
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:33 (Ref:919171)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It'd be fantastic if this deal comes off. Justin is a superb driver who could ge tthe job done in F1 under the right circumstances. He did a superb job at Minardi, did well considering the midseason switch and lack of support from Jaguar, adn appears to have shone at Sebring. I think he's a more impressive prospect than Firman or Keohane, who are also being linked to ChampCars.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:36 (Ref:919176)   #19
Alfonso de Orleans
Racer

Spain
Near the Jerez race track, Spain
Alfonso de Orleans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great news. He is the best driver we had by far in our team and we have had many good drivers (Montagny, Sarrazin, Mauricio, Leinders, etc.)

I am sure he will fit into the team quickly and will prove that he is really the driver he is.

Way to go Justin! I won't miss a race this year on the TV and I hope to be able to go over and be there in person and support you.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 18:42 (Ref:919341)   #20
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson just got announced along with Mijack beign their primary sponsor also an intent to run a second car was decalred.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 19:29 (Ref:919379)   #21
Scootch
Rookie

Scootch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hoped his career would take off in F1, I met him when he was in FPA and he was a thoroughly nice chap as well as supremely talented. Shame to lose him to the USA but good luck to him
Old 25 Mar 2004, 19:33 (Ref:919380)   #22
Liz
Veteran

The Toronto Sun is saying that Ralph Firman got the job at Conquest.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 20:02 (Ref:919408)   #23
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally justin will get a chance to prove himself on a big stage. 5 races at Jaguar was never really enough time to get into the grove, altho he did for his time. Hopefully he'll be up there with the Haas cars and Tracy!
Old 25 Mar 2004, 20:10 (Ref:919419)   #24
Testure
Veteran

Confirmed!

This is now on Conquest's home page. Good luck to Justin! The praise from Racing Engineering a few posts above is not to be taken lightly - I think he's going to do very well in these type of cars.

Also, check out this:
Quote:
Mi-Jack Conquest Racing plans to field a two-car program in the 2004 Champ Car World Series. More details on the second car will be announced as they become available.
Good stuff!
Old 25 Mar 2004, 20:14 (Ref:919426)   #25
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great!!

Someone to support at last....the icing on my Champcar cake, as it were....

Although...you wouldn't want to eat a Champcar...icing or not!

Still, that at least should ensure Champcars gets at least a LITTLE coverage over here....
Ok, it's not the 5 Brits that the other series have, but still, ol' JW should pull in SOME people, like me who remember his great drives in 2001 in F3000!