Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Apr 2004, 09:05 (Ref:930702)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Proton at Bathurst

As reported in AA last week Proton is planning an outright assault on the 2005 Bathurst 24 Hour, with a new sports car. Had anyone else seen the story or heard any other news ? With the Factory Proton team currently in APCC, could we see a move into Nations Cup full time next year to prepare for the round the clock race.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 11:12 (Ref:930830)   #2
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also saw that story, this looks very promising for the series but who will pilot these machines will it be one of the Russells or somebody else?
Old 6 Apr 2004, 03:45 (Ref:931779)   #3
iconic
Racer

iconic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think a lotus. proton owns lotus. can't think of a "legit" n-gt car at the moment hehe
Old 6 Apr 2004, 05:26 (Ref:931826)   #4
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<insert joke about 6.0L V12 Proton Satria to take on 7L Monaro and 5L M3>
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 06:07 (Ref:931841)   #5
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds grat for the series. hope it coes to fruition! the more the merrier
Old 6 Apr 2004, 07:06 (Ref:931879)   #6
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another one that I'll believe when I see it......
Old 6 Apr 2004, 10:39 (Ref:932064)   #7
Big Voice
Racer

Big Voice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
00XR8 you seem to be a real negative wowser when it comes to anything else but The Aussie V8.
The Prince who raced a Proton at the Bathurst 24Hr promised to return bigger and better next year.
We should embrace these other countries and welcome them as we may want to take the V8 Taxi's to there back yard.
In another thread you had a shot at another category because of what they are...well many of the Australian Popular culture drive 4 cylinder cars and love watching there brand of car on a racetrack.
Many talented driver have emerged from these lesser categories...The Qld Gemini class has been the nursery for many of today V8 Superstars...would you like us to list them.
The 24 Hr event is here to stay ,and so will be many of the cars you seem to belittle...I remember many years ago a certain 2.5 lt BMW beating the Aussie fire breaters .
Bmw had about the same market share back then as Proton does now..
Long live variety.........
Old 6 Apr 2004, 11:07 (Ref:932099)   #8
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Big Voice.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but sometimes I think we all get a bit one sided & maybe need to step back & look at the big picture.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 11:08 (Ref:932101)   #9
vortexo
Veteran

vortexo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mitsubishi Aust falls over Proton are looking seriously at taking over that plant to build - you guessed it Protons.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 06:33 (Ref:934062)   #10
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Slow down Mr Big Voice.

You say "you seem to be a real negative wowser when it comes to anything else but The Aussie V8." Are you trying to say that I am negative towards all categories other than V8Supercars? Or are you trying to say that I am negative towards all Nations Cup cars other than the so called "Aussie V8" Monaro. Or did you mean something else?

And then you say.."In another thread you had a shot at another category because of what they are...well many of the Australian Popular culture drive 4 cylinder cars and love watching there brand of car on a racetrack." Can you please point me to the post that I made of that nature?

You have really lost me on this one..............
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 07:17 (Ref:934081)   #11
Big Voice
Racer

Big Voice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You had a negative attitude Towards Proton and the basis of thier bussiness is 4 cylinder cars.
Unlike many other manufacturers Proton has a large and profitable presence in motorsport and it seems that the Aussie Ocker mentality can't get thier head around that concept.
If you just being sarcastic about Procar and Nations Cup and the other categories withing that series,I still stand behind what I've said.
If you meant anything else you should take more care in making yourself more clear about what you are refering to and if thats the case I may well need to cut you some slack and maybe even appoligise(ohh I hope not ...lol).
Old 8 Apr 2004, 08:03 (Ref:934104)   #12
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
I indeed wasn't very clear in my first post in this thread about what I meant. My comment was in NO way at all anti-Proton, anti-Malaysian or anything of that nature. I am extremely pleased that Proton has a 2 car factory presence in the APCC. Just as it is great that Toyota, Daihatsu, Ford, Subaru, Holden, Mitsubishi etc all have factory motorsport involvement in Australian motor racing in some form or other.

My negative comment was not aimed at Proton, rather Procar. The whole idea of having an Australian Championship for the world’s greatest GT cars is absolutely brilliant. That is the main reason why I sometimes can't help myself and make negative comments towards Nations Cup. It is because the idea and the potential are so fantastic, and yet the organisation of this category seems to be a complete joke. The amount of competitors or potential competitors that have been burnt by the mob who run this show is appalling. Things like not getting their TV coverage organised properly is bad enough, but it is the inconsistency of the rules and the eligibility regulations that change at the drop of a hat that really annoy me. I won’t go into the whole Monaro thing again but that continues to cut deep with me. I will stop there.

One organisation can get almost 30 competitors to buy and race $300 000 Porsches in a few months but Procar can't get much more than 10 cars after 4 seasons of Nations Cup competition. It makes you wonder doesn't it.........
Old 8 Apr 2004, 13:47 (Ref:934400)   #13
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I for one am glad that you explained that 00XR8.
Thank you!
Old 9 Apr 2004, 05:14 (Ref:934955)   #14
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said 00XR8.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 11:15 (Ref:935138)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Theres a lot of differences between Cup Car and Procar. However Procar has lost many potential customers to Cup Car, after they were hugely dudded by Cams and dare I say it, (AVESCO) by allowing Cup Car into Aus, Procar have every right to feel sad and angry.
Procars management has not been its greatest of recent times, and R Palmer was the first one to tell everyone that. He has now weeded out all the bad seeds and is getting on with running his series with the best available resources. Nations Cup might not look its healhisest right at this minute but take a look at GTP its as strong a v8s,Brutes are strong, APCC is strong but come the end of this NC season and Bathurst 24 Hour time, many people in AUs and internationally will be kissing his ass.
Changes I would recomend would be to move back to N-GT specs
550 GTS gone, 7L Monaro gone, Porsche GT2 gone and move back to Ferrari 360 GTC and 550 N-GT (racing at le Mans in 2004), Porsche RSR, 5.7 Litre Monaro running in UK, Lambo, Vipers, Ford GT40, Moslers, TVRS, Chevs, Morgans and PROTONS etc
And 1 hour non compulsory pit stop races
Old 9 Apr 2004, 14:14 (Ref:935235)   #16
the man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by D.R.T.
Changes I would recomend would be to move back to N-GT specs
550 GTS gone, 7L Monaro gone, Porsche GT2 gone and move back to Ferrari 360 GTC and 550 N-GT (racing at le Mans in 2004), Porsche RSR, 5.7 Litre Monaro running in UK, Lambo, Vipers, Ford GT40, Moslers, TVRS, Chevs, Morgans and PROTONS etc
And 1 hour non compulsory pit stop races
I would have to agree with DRT on this, The monaro should be made to run the 5.7Ltr engine, otherwise leave it the way it is. ( Lets not get started with the monaro is it legal thing again), but also we need to make Group 2 more friendly with the cars able to have some more speed or something like that to get them more up with Group 1 cars.

DRT which Chevys are you talking about? Are you talking about Murray Carter's Corvette C5 or a different chevy.

The 1 hour non-compulsory pitstop idea would work very good, because the smaller races are for close racing action, but with these cars worth over $150, 000- $250,000 ( Group 2) and $300,000+ ( Group 1), we won't see as many drastic passing moves as much becuase no-one wants to damage their own car. The 1 hour races would be more car friendly as they would make the drivers plan their race more.

But i would have to disagree at one point with the race format, is that the head lining act Nations Cup will only have one race, I think that the 1 hour race would be the 2nd race with a 20 minute race or something like that to have earlier in the morning to give a preview to what the fans can see later on in the day.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 15:58 (Ref:935282)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by the man
But i would have to disagree at one point with the race format, is that the head lining act Nations Cup will only have one race, I think that the 1 hour race would be the 2nd race with a 20 minute race or something like that to have earlier in the morning to give a preview to what the fans can see later on in the day.
The only problem with a 20 minute race is exactly what you mention in your previous paragraph, Nations Cup style exotics are not condusive to do-or-die rough and tumble sprint racing, therefore what would be gained.

A 1 hour or so race at the end pf the day, as the only race, wouldn't devalue it in any way, infact having a shorter 'preliminary' earlier in the day probably would in my opinion.

And seeing as attracting the 'casual' viewer is the name of the game these days, one race and one winner is the easiest way for them to follow.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 23:14 (Ref:935548)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back on topic... which Malaysian racing driver was recently here in Australia talking to all and sundry about racing in 2005 and beyond???

Where do they make Protons...

2+2=5

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Apr 2004, 23:36 (Ref:935554)   #19
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw Alex Yoong walking around the pits at Eastern Creek, is he Malaysian?

Last edited by CooperS79; 9 Apr 2004 at 23:37.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 23:46 (Ref:935558)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Certainly is
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 10 Apr 2004, 07:13 (Ref:935652)   #21
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had the opportunity to sit down and chat with the guy in our pit....he is so unasuming, he was with his manager all the time as well maybe he can fill in the blanks.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 01:28 (Ref:936172)   #22
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ross set me up for an interview with Alex.

I don't no if Alex has any links with Proton, but being a highly skilled, competitive driver, the V8SC is a tempting option, probably in 2005 or 2006.

I expect him to drive at Bathurst again this year, whether in the V8s or B24, he'll be keen to have a go.

And after a solid endurance performance (until punted) and a win in a CCup car at Macau, I don't think he'd say no to a GT3 drive at B24, or possibly CCup.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 01:35 (Ref:936175)   #23
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Just to bring it back off topic, the entry lists for the upcoming Procar round at Oran are now on the Procar site.

Firstly it is absolutely fantastic to see so many cars entered for the APCC races. 29 entries, including for the first time a brand new Ford Focus Zetec.

The Nations Cup field however is disgraceful. On the surface, 12 entries is pretty much what you would expect. How many of the entries will actually compete though? Lets have a look......

David Stevens - Porsche 911 GT2 - this is one of those new hybrid mongrel Porsche things that apparently Jim Richards has under construction. I certainly hope this thing turns up but I aint holding my breath.

Peter Brock - Holden Monaro - is this car finished yet? Talk at Adelaide was that it was still a fair way from completion.

Ian Palmer - Honda NSX - this thing is very often entered but doesn't often race? Will it race this time? I doubt it.

TBA - Ross Palmer Motorsport - TBA driver, TBA sponsor, TBA car. There were 2 TBA everything Palmer cars entered for the 24hr last year and for the Clipsal NC races. Call me crazy, but I have a hunch that the two TBA Palmer entries won¡¦t appear at Oran either.

James Koundouris - TBA - James raced a Faz at Adelaide but I believe it blew a motor. With no car listed for this round you have to doubt the chances of this entry as well.

There are also rumours that the 550GT won¡¦t be there either!

I personally hope that all 12 entries turn up, but it is more likely that there will be only 5 cars there! 5 cars spread over two classes, everyone gets a prize!

Last edited by 00 XR8; 11 Apr 2004 at 01:38.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:48 (Ref:938253)   #24
the man
Veteran

Despite the numbers it should be a very good race
Old 14 Apr 2004, 01:12 (Ref:938944)   #25
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two things.
1. Protons engines are cast at Fishermans Bend.To the uneducated by Holden.
2.A little birdie told me Mr Palmer has 2 cars of the same make but is not telling anyone what they are.I belive the issue is loss nuts to put behind the wheel(drivers that is).

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 14 Apr 2004 at 01:13.