Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 9 Apr 2004, 14:38 (Ref:935239)   #1
Jazner
Rookie

Jazner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica Patrick to CCWS?

With all of the talk about filling up the field, does anyone know if Danica Patrick was considered for a Champ Car promotion? Granted, I think we'd all agree that she needs more time in the Atlantic series, but she would fill a seat, and she's a pure gem in the way of marketability. On that note, is there a timetable on when she's cheduled to move up?
Old 9 Apr 2004, 15:01 (Ref:935248)   #2
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no. not at all. the champ car principles, for the past couple months now, were attempting to assure the racing public that there would be 18 cars (thats a "full" grid, contractually). there's more than enough pay drivers to do it race to race. it's always a preference to keep a solid line up of drivers throughout the season.

when rahal couldn't make up his mind on which series to put 100% effort into, honda swayed his decision with a finan$$$cially $ound offer and Jourdain took his sponsor to another team. thus leaving rahal with a gargage of champ car equipment, which he will use to "test" Danica sometime this year. probably later in the summer since they're busy with the Atlantic (full schedule) season for Festa and Danica.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 16:01 (Ref:935285)   #3
Jazner
Rookie

Jazner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess now that Rahal has jumped the fence to the IRL, Patrick would end up in an Indycar before a Champ car. That said, she wouldn't have big shoes to fill. Fisher, as nice of a person as she is, is garbage on the track. I'd still prefer to see Danica in a Champ Car though. Assuming she can drive at that level, she'd be a great marketing key for the series. Right or wrong, the fact of the matter is Sex Sells, and it's no secret that they need the money. However, and I stress, that all soley depends on her ability to drive the car, first and foremost. Just because a woman is attractive in motorsports, by no means she should get the pub of a superstar.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 16:11 (Ref:935292)   #4
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All I know, is I can't wait to see Danica beat Al Unser on the track this year.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 16:39 (Ref:935314)   #5
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, maybe keeping the Champ Car parts is setting up Danica for a possible CCWS debut in 2005 or 2006. But she does need to be in Atlantics this year, find a decent sponsor, and set her self up for Champ Cars next year!
Old 9 Apr 2004, 17:22 (Ref:935355)   #6
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An absolute prerequisite to Danica's moving up should be that she win some FAtlantic races first. We already have a number of talented drivers who have won multiple Atlantic races, but haven't been able to move up to Champ Cars. Yes, I know, Danica would bring lots of publicity to her sponsors and the series. But moving an unqualified driver up to the big league just because she's a woman is a very bad idea - not because it involves a woman, but because it it involves an unqualified driver. In motor racing the only qualification that really matters is the ability to win. Will Danica win this year. I think so. She's a talented driver. Will she win more than one race and be a contender for the championship. I don't know.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 17:53 (Ref:935382)   #7
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But moving an unqualified driver up to the big league just because she's a woman is a very bad idea - not because it involves a woman, but because it it involves an unqualified driver.

This is logical, but it is not practical in the sponsorship driven world of motor sports. Many drivers having never won in the ladder series have been given rides. I think Lavin will fit this scenerio this year with his Corona sponsorship. True he is a sophmore, but I do not think he has won beyond go carts if there. If a company like P & G or any other gave Dania the money to compete in CCWS - do you think a team owner is going to pass?
Old 9 Apr 2004, 19:53 (Ref:935442)   #8
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know that they aren't. And I know that money talks. But that doesn't change the fact that putting a driver in a series that they are patently unqualified for is a bad idea.
It damages the credibility of whatever series they are in.
It's bad for all of the other drivers in the seires. Racing is dangerous enough. No one wants to be on the track with someone who is in over their head.
It's also bad for the unqualified driver. He or she looks bad and is soon written off as hopeless. Example: Sarah Fisher. I don't know if she had the talent to be a competitive force or not. She was thrown into Indycars without any appropriate experience. She was in way over her head. Now most people have written her off. If she'd had some more paved oval racing and some formula car experience, she might have had a chance. We'll never know. Walker saw an opportunity to make money, and that was what mattered. If Danica's smart (and I think she is), she'll aim at being the next AJ Allmendinger, not the next Sarah Fisher or Janet Guthrie - or Rodolfo Lavin, for that matter.

Last edited by Mike.ca; 9 Apr 2004 at 19:53.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 04:23 (Ref:935618)   #9
AROUNDTHEFUR
Rookie

AROUNDTHEFUR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this year will be a big measuring stick on how she races, compared to her teammate Festa. If Festa is Faster than her, nobody is going to give her a ride In Champcars.