Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Apr 2004, 12:39 (Ref:942529)   #1
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest on the NZ round bid

Hi All

Looks like the announcement of the successful NZ round bid has been delayed again.

Here is the latest from:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/evening...1a6502,00.html

Delay on Manfeild decision
17 April 2004
By ANNA WALLIS

V8 Supercar company Avesco has delayed its decision on the New Zealand championship round of the event because it wants more information on the weather.

But according to Destination Manawatu's chief executive Kathy Gibson the `more information please' call has got nothing to do with the recent floods.

Feilding's Manfeild circuit is in a bidding war with Auckland and a street race for the replacement Pukekohe round of the supercar championship.

Wellington pulled out of the bidding race earlier this month.

Originally the winner was to be announced late March but the decision was delayed until late April.

Yesterday Avesco said the winner will not be known until June.

"We do not see this as a negative signal for the Manawatu-Manfeild proposal but more the need for clarification by both parties to ensure the total package is viable from both sides," Ms Gibson said.

"It is usual in a bid this size to tweak aspects during each submission phase."

She said Destination Manawatu has been asked to come up with more information on a number of bids including weather patterns for different times of the year.

"The latter has no bearing on the recent floods in our region but is more to highlight when the best time would be to host this event in Manawatu should Manawatu-Manfeild be the successful tenderer."

Ms Gibson said no time has been set for the New Zealand round.

Pukekohe was usually held in November but this year the final event will be April 30 to May 2.

In preparation for the decision, the first pivotal vote on the new infrastructure for Manfeild was taken last night with a large majority of the IA&P Association voting in favour of a trust board being set up to take control of the racing circuit.

The Manawatu Car Club will vote next week.

Sections of Manfeild are owned by the Manawatu District Council, the car club and the IA&P Association. However the pit area of the circuit, is owned by the IA&P Association.

The car club had no intention of upgrading an area which did not belong to them and thus the formation of the trust gets round the issue.

For the IA&P Association, the trust deal will see new facilities built to house agricultural events.

The yes vote by the membership of the IA&P Association follows a clear indication from the group's executive that they should support the proposal.

President John Wall told the Manawatu Standard that the executive was "very enthusiastic about the proposal".

"It will be a great thing for the district."

Car club president Trevor Weir said its membership had also been urged to vote in favour of the proposal.

The trust will be set up through an electoral college of six, representing the district council, IA&P Association and the car club.

They in turn will appoint the board of trustees.

Mr Weir said the trustees will not necessarily be members of the organisations.

"We are looking for very sound business acumen.

"That's the criteria."

There has been some public discussion on whether the trust will be able to sell land within Manfeild Park.

Mr Weir said land can't be sold without the agreement of the three owners.

The agreement will still give the car club control of motoring events, and the AI&P control over farming events but "obviously something like the Avesco event is outside our scope", Mr Weir said.

Once the two groups give the okay to the draft document, in can be ratified very quickly.
Old 17 Apr 2004, 12:43 (Ref:942534)   #2
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
Mr Keener should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy if Manfield is successful where are all the punters going to stay.PN has only limited facilities. :confused: :confused:
Old 17 Apr 2004, 19:11 (Ref:942776)   #3
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tents on the infield? That would be classy
Old 17 Apr 2004, 21:39 (Ref:942877)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm right thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Keener
Tracy if Manfield is successful where are all the punters going to stay.PN has only limited facilities. :confused: :confused:
Its OK I have friends in Fielding

Maybe the Territorials could bring some tents down from Wairou??
Old 17 Apr 2004, 23:35 (Ref:942936)   #5
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

I believe the accomodation amount is worked out on a time/distance basis from the track, including venues up to 2 hours away. Besides that, a camping ground at Manfeild was part of the facilities that were mentioned I think
Old 18 Apr 2004, 01:48 (Ref:942994)   #6
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is no more motels in Waipawa though, Tracy :P

I guess we could put stretchers in the chillers at Richmonds Oringi (that's a meat works for those who don't know) as they are huge. One bonus will be if it is held in April/May at Manfield, by sleeping in the chillers at Richmonds, you will at least avoid the frost!

Or the stables of the Fielding Jockey Club?
Old 18 Apr 2004, 02:26 (Ref:943003)   #7
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

How far do you think Wellington is? Less than two hours that is for sure. After all, how much accomodation is there in Bathurst?? From what I understand, plenty of people have to travel more than one hour to get there.

I guess it depends how much of a fan you are - if you really want to watch the series, you will come!

When we travel to racing all the accomodation means is a place to sleep, we are there to watch the racing!
Old 18 Apr 2004, 02:46 (Ref:943012)   #8
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wanganui is just 40 minutes away lol

it's not like there are going to be millions and millions of people coming to this meeting. there will be more than enough room in the manawatu for everyone
Old 18 Apr 2004, 02:50 (Ref:943015)   #9
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

I didn't forget about Wanganui - honest

Also there are plenty of people willing to fill their houses if it happens - mine will be full - maybe complete with tents in the backyard

Last edited by Tracy; 18 Apr 2004 at 02:52.
Old 18 Apr 2004, 03:13 (Ref:943024)   #10
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
oh i wasn't suggesting that the way the others are complaining you get the feeling that they don't want the manfield round to go ahead
Old 18 Apr 2004, 03:48 (Ref:943030)   #11
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
LOL Promax - glad its not just me with that feeling
Old 18 Apr 2004, 04:11 (Ref:943032)   #12
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
i think people tend to forget that a lot of people outside of auckland fill up the stands, etc at puke
Old 18 Apr 2004, 04:24 (Ref:943035)   #13
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never forgot and I am not a JAFFA (Just Another Flamin' F**kin' Aucklander), just in case you thought I had clouded vision.

I want both venues to get a round
Old 18 Apr 2004, 08:23 (Ref:943109)   #14
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is interesting is that Taupo is turned down on the basis of not being big enough (ie not enough accommodation) and Feilding gets it?
So thats how TC's brain works.

Last edited by Teretonga; 18 Apr 2004 at 08:24.
Old 18 Apr 2004, 08:41 (Ref:943120)   #15
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

Well, Manfeild doesn't have it yet - LOL As I wrote earlier, they seem to look at accomodation over a larger area than just the immediate zone around the track.

I agree with Just Do It though, 2 rounds a year would be the best outcome - and a round for Tasmania too