Old 26 Apr 2004, 21:17 (Ref:952817)   #1
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's official (N-H)!

It's Bruno (what a surprise, hehe )
http://ims.brickyard.com/500/news/st...?story_id=2611

I'm very happy about this!
Plus, my niece got a PERFECT score on her AR (Acclerated Reading) test @ school today
OK, I'm bragging....but I'm soooooo happy about Bruno AND her!!!!!!

Last edited by MLM; 26 Apr 2004 at 21:18.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 22:29 (Ref:952899)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope they run that livery in the race. Black is cool.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 22:56 (Ref:952928)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: It's official (N-H)!

Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
It's Bruno (what a surprise, hehe )
http://ims.brickyard.com/500/news/st...?story_id=2611

I'm very happy about this!
Plus, my niece got a PERFECT score on her AR (Acclerated Reading) test @ school today
OK, I'm bragging....but I'm soooooo happy about Bruno AND her!!!!!!
To be honest, I'm actually more happy for your niece, than I am about Bruno coming over.

Your niece probably doesn't whine as much!

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Apr 2004, 22:57 (Ref:952930)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Great news to have Newman Haas running in the event, Im not a huge fan of bruno's but I wish him well
Old 26 Apr 2004, 23:02 (Ref:952935)   #5
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool. Now I've got someone to cheer for in the Indy 500! Hope he emulates his qualifying run from last time. I remember he was one of the first guys to qualify and set a great average speed, but then we had to wait ALL DAY to see if it would stand. I logged on late on Saturday night and read he had got the pole. Great stuff. Go Bruno!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 06:28 (Ref:953119)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I predicted, N-H will run Gforce chassis.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 11:10 (Ref:953362)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bruno should be a real contender for the win. The thing is, would it be good or bad publicity for CART if he did?
Old 27 Apr 2004, 16:36 (Ref:953697)   #8
MLM
Veteran

Re: Re: It's official (N-H)!

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
To be honest, I'm actually more happy for your niece, than I am about Bruno coming over.

Your niece probably doesn't whine as much!
Thanks and no, she doesn't whine as much (we won't let her )

To tell you the truth, there have been times I would have like to have smacked Bruno on the side of the head and tell him to "shut up", only because people would criticize him more.

However, I'm still pleased to be able to see Bruno race this year.
You know what, Boots, you brought up a good point about publicity for CART..would it be good or bad. They didn't seem to make to big a deal over Juan or Helio's wins (I'm referring to HC's win in 2001 when Penske was still racing in CART). However, things have changed for CART, so who knows. :confused:

Last edited by MLM; 27 Apr 2004 at 16:39.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 17:30 (Ref:953753)   #9
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Re: It's official (N-H)!

Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
Thanks and no, she doesn't whine as much (we won't let her )

To tell you the truth, there have been times I would have like to have smacked Bruno on the side of the head and tell him to "shut up", only because people would criticize him more.

However, I'm still pleased to be able to see Bruno race this year.
You know what, Boots, you brought up a good point about publicity for CART..would it be good or bad. They didn't seem to make to big a deal over Juan or Helio's wins (I'm referring to HC's win in 2001 when Penske was still racing in CART). However, things have changed for CART, so who knows. :confused:
I lived in Chicago for a couple of years and was there for the CART Chicago race in 2000 (I didn't attend of course) On the radio and newspapers advertisements Juan Montoya was billed as the Indianapolis 500 winner. As in "come see the 2000 Indianapolis 500 winner Juan Montoya compete in"...

It wasn't "come see the 1999 CART champion Juan Montoya compete"

Having the reigning Indianpolis 500 champion means OWCS could market their product by highlighting something the casual fan will understand.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 01:11 (Ref:954041)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
rush1, the advertising of which you speak would have been the responsibility of the promoter, not CART. And although I totally understand the point that you've made about Indy's significance, I must ask about who promoted that event. My fading memory tells me that Ganassi had his hand in the pot, no?
Old 28 Apr 2004, 01:24 (Ref:954047)   #11
MLM
Veteran

Ganassi did(does still?) own Chicago and the promotion may have been on his/Chicago's doing.
BUT,rush1, that was a good point you brought up.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 01:31 (Ref:954051)   #12
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
rush1, the advertising of which you speak would have been the responsibility of the promoter, not CART. And although I totally understand the point that you've made about Indy's significance, I must ask about who promoted that event. My fading memory tells me that Ganassi had his hand in the pot, no?
Ganassi did own part of that track, a horse track is part of that facility also. I can't remember if Ganassi was part of the promotion; however, Road America also used similar Indy 500 promos to gin up interest in the Chicago land, Wisconsin area during the height of the open wheel civil war.

I remember thinking how CART could bash Indianapolis and then promote the winners to get the fans out. Cynical but quite revealing. The writing was already on the wall.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 01:35 (Ref:954056)   #13
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
Ganassi did(does still?) own Chicago and the promotion may have been on his/Chicago's doing.
BUT,rush1, that was a good point you brought up.
Thanks, it might be my first in 350 plus posts
Old 28 Apr 2004, 02:41 (Ref:954075)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Certainly not your first, and it was a good one.
Quote:
From rush1
The writing was already on the wall.
Was it? I always thought it was just an ink smear. If it's writing, then it's very illegible. Even to this day. Perhaps that's because it's all in dark colours on a dark background.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 11:22 (Ref:954486)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting stuff rush1. I think Bruno winnign would be good for CART in the short term. However, the likelihood that Haas will be in the IRL fulltime in 2005 seems higher now that he's committed to the 500.

In reality, Carl Haas is the racing guy in the team - Paul Newman's just an enthusiast with name recognition and media savvy, and if NHR grabs that longed-for IRL win, it could offe rmroe than he can.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 15:32 (Ref:954772)   #16
Superunknown
Rookie

Superunknown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
Ganassi did own part of that track, a horse track is part of that facility also. I can't remember if Ganassi was part of the promotion; however, Road America also used similar Indy 500 promos to gin up interest in the Chicago land, Wisconsin area during the height of the open wheel civil war.

I remember thinking how CART could bash Indianapolis and then promote the winners to get the fans out. Cynical but quite revealing. The writing was already on the wall.
Leo Mehl: "Let them come here and race in our cars with our engines, our boys will blow the doors off of em"

2001: CART 1-5
and CART decides to NOT run a full page spread in USA Today bragging about it b/c of Penske
Old 28 Apr 2004, 15:36 (Ref:954779)   #17
Superunknown
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Interesting stuff rush1. I think Bruno winnign would be good for CART in the short term. However, the likelihood that Haas will be in the IRL fulltime in 2005 seems higher now that he's committed to the 500.

In reality, Carl Haas is the racing guy in the team - Paul Newman's just an enthusiast with name recognition and media savvy, and if NHR grabs that longed-for IRL win, it could offe rmroe than he can.
Newman's raced in the Rolex, Newman is every bit the racing guy Haas is, except Newman's less prissy, Haas would always moan about how there wasn't a gourmet restaraunt within close distance of MIS. Gee Carl, the racing at MIS wasn't enough for you?

As for going IRL'ing, Haas has had that car for a long time with the full intention of an Indy one-off, so his proclivity to go IRL'ing in '05 is no greater now than when they took delivery of the car months ago.

oh ya, that tub hasn't even been painted yet, shows how much they cared about the press conference...
Old 28 Apr 2004, 15:37 (Ref:954780)   #18
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Superunknown
Leo Mehl: "Let them come here and race in our cars with our engines, our boys will blow the doors off of em"

2001: CART 1-5
and CART decides to NOT run a full page spread in USA Today bragging about it b/c of Penske
Another dumb move by CART. They blew away the IRL and should have taken advantage of it, as they used the 500 to promote their other races.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 17:59 (Ref:954876)   #19
Superunknown
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
Another dumb move by CART. They blew away the IRL and should have taken advantage of it, as they used the 500 to promote their other races.
yes it was stupid, but that's what you get when you have Penske sabotaging things so that he can make nice with TG, fortunately for some of the tracks, their management was not controlled at all by Penske or the CART board.

After Mehl's statement, I'd have posted that 1-6 non IRL finishing order all over the papers if I was them
Old 29 Apr 2004, 01:04 (Ref:955290)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Quote:
From BootsOntheSide
In reality, Carl Haas is the racing guy in the team - Paul Newman's just an enthusiast with name recognition and media savvy.
Sorry, but that statement struck me as ridiculous.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 08:37 (Ref:955457)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

After Mehl's statement, I'd have posted that 1-6 non IRL finishing order all over the papers if I was them
Right point.
Regardless Penske's supposed influence in it, my opinion is that this is the umpteenth demonstration of how stupid was the "Indy500 doesn't exist" phylosophy, who had become a Cart founding principle many years before.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 19:21 (Ref:956014)   #22
Superunknown
Rookie

double

Last edited by Superunknown; 29 Apr 2004 at 19:22.
"Doors are the most important thing that any auto company engineers for consumers. When I worked at the Mustang plant, cars wouldn't start and pieces would be falling off everywhere, but you can be damn sure those doors would ALWAYS work right." -Dr. Ashford
Old 29 Apr 2004, 19:21 (Ref:956015)   #23
Superunknown
Rookie

the Indy500 wasn't the CART founding principle, it was USAC's driving principle, which was why the championship trail was in the hands of impotent management, they were all beholden to Hulman.

CART's founding principle was embracing the ENTIRE championship and fortifying the many growing and soon to be very successful events that consist of the championship trail, not just leave the series centered around Indy with the other races just being worthless filler. Dan Gurney's White Paper has it all...

As for "Indy500 doesn't exist philosophy," many attempts at unification have been made on CART's side, so they never really ignored the race aside from the intial spat in '96, despite the rhetoric that would come from some owners

Last edited by Superunknown; 29 Apr 2004 at 19:23.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 20:20 (Ref:956083)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

CART's founding principle was embracing the ENTIRE championship and fortifying the many growing and soon to be very successful events that consist of the championship trail, not just leave the series centered around Indy with the other races just being worthless filler. Dan Gurney's White Paper has it all...

If the "Now Bankrupt" series would have stuck to the "principles" of Dan Gurney's "White Paper," instead of becoming a "closed private club" of "lucky" people who were granted a franchise to participate... that was run by a committee of self-focused individuals who were worried more about their own little fiefdoms (teams) than the big picture, it would have been fine, Superunknown....

But it didn't go down that way....

Instead, the committee picked incompetent people to run the show...and they made rules that kept others who were interested in competing from competing....and they paid for it...

But this following statement really borders on the absurd:

...embracing the ENTIRE championship and "fortifying the many growing and soon to be very successful events that consist of the championship trail".....

Yeah...sure...

that is why those "many growing and soon to be very successful events" during their existence led them to Bankruptcy Court last winter....

I watch both series, Superunknown...and I enjoy both for what they have to offer on the track....

but if anyone in the former CART or now the OWRS wants to know what went wrong, all they have to do is look in the mirror for the answers...

There is no big "Conspiracy" that has led to their problems....

and the decisions that the "new regime" are making are following in the same footsteps as their predecessors....

Just try to convince me that anyone else in any other form of racing on the planet could "lease" a rolling race chassis for $1...

and how long will it last...especially with the sanctioning body paying out that "racing welfare" without an independent revenue source to cover it???

Face the reality.....unless things change over there, it will only be a matter of time before all of the bitter "Anti-TG" and "Anti-Former CART Team" people who spend their time vilifying everyone will have to find a new form of motorsports to watch....

because if things don't change, it will only be a matter of time....

the question is...how long????

and when it does, let's see who joins this form of racing and who goes to another form of racing...or out of racing altogether....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 21:03 (Ref:956108)   #25
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Retracted statement went here.

Last edited by Flatspot; 29 Apr 2004 at 21:04.