Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 May 2004, 22:52 (Ref:980510)   #1
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watch the race and listened to what was said you can see in the video that MS tries to warm his tires and as is perfectly normal JPM made sure there was not a big gap between him and MS. When MS locked his wheels he slide to the right and JPM could not brake fast enough to go round. You will note that JPM DOES move to the right more as MS slides over. I also add further to my argument it was a racing incident that the safety car slowed down in the tunnel, this I believe through MS and caused the lock up. I am not a fan of MS but this was a racing incident. I would say though that having had RS and FA incident moments earlier you might think drivers would be more sensible.
Old 23 May 2004, 22:53 (Ref:980511)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it was his fault, but thank God Juan touched Michael, unintentionally. Please allow some fun in F1!
Old 23 May 2004, 22:56 (Ref:980515)   #3
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why on earth did Michael lock up?

Surely doing this flat spots your tyres and makes a difficult race like Monaco unbearable. To call this "warming my tyres" is a little coy.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:00 (Ref:980521)   #4
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
Why on earth did Michael lock up?

Surely doing this flat spots your tyres and makes a difficult race like Monaco unbearable. To call this "warming my tyres" is a little coy.
Made a mistake, the idea is to heavy brake not over brake. I suspect due to Alonso and Ralf both being offline in the tunnel there was some marbles on the line.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:01 (Ref:980523)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was trying to warm his brakes by stamping on the anchors, more than his tyres anyway.. When they are relatively cold, that's what they do, lock. MS got caught out. It was an unfortunate incident in the wrong place.

Last edited by Spudgun; 23 May 2004 at 23:03.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:02 (Ref:980527)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree on that. If he's a 6-time World Champion he should be able to hot up his brakes without locking the tyres up, just at the limit.
But he did that in Monza 2000 too, not locking up but slowing up the field. What can he achieve with that?
Surely if you press your brakes repeatedly they'll hot up as well, instead of just doing one huge lock-up?
Old 23 May 2004, 23:03 (Ref:980528)   #7
dangeradam
Rookie

dangeradam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
50:50 he slammed on the brakes and turned in shutting any extra room out that Juan may have been able to run into Juan should have been more aware and Michael should have been more predictable in his actions and left Juan some room.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:06 (Ref:980531)   #8
Mark Stevens
Rookie

Mark Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Until we see some onboard footage from either Schumacher or Montoya's car I will reserve judgement on exactly what happened.

Back in the days of F1 Digital TV all of the onboard views were available to viewers.

If I remember correctly the F1 Safety Car has a rear facing camera mounted on or near its lightbar, (well it did once), I would love to see that tape.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:09 (Ref:980533)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Stevens
Until we see some onboard footage from either Schumacher or Montoya's car I will reserve judgement on exactly what happened.

Back in the days of F1 Digital TV all of the onboard views were available to viewers.

If I remember correctly the F1 Safety Car has a rear facing camera mounted on or near its lightbar, (well it did once), I would love to see that tape.
The problem is that the video feeds are picked up by a helicopter overhead.

IIRC I've never seen an onboard shot through the tunnel since the signal can't get through.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:12 (Ref:980536)   #10
alesi95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
He was trying to warm his brakes by stamping on the anchors, more than his tyres anyway.. When they are relatively cold, that's what they do, lock. MS got caught out. It was an unfortunate incident in the wrong place.

What "irks" me is that Schumacher has refused to admit that he has made a mistake. (At least i didn't hear it.)
Old 23 May 2004, 23:12 (Ref:980537)   #11
KaiserSose
Rookie

United States
Olympia, WA
KaiserSose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's nice when all the expert drivers here will take the time to point out all the faults in MS's driving.

I'm sure he's thankful for such a useful resource........you know, criticism from people who have reached the pinnacle of motorsport racing having never made a chump move.

I wouldn't say either driver exceeded their mental capacity with their driving today.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:17 (Ref:980541)   #12
alesi95
Veteran

I wouldn't say either driver exceeded their mental capacity with their driving today.

Thats really the "bottom line", "final word" and the "moral of the story" today.....

....least neither of them is Ralf.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:18 (Ref:980542)   #13
Mark Stevens
Rookie

Mark Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw some onboard footage once in the tunnel,
but it was a film camera stuck to the side of an F1 car in the 1970's shown on a Motors TV programme.

Maybe they should install another camera in the tunnel to cover the area between the existing cameras inside and just outside the tunnel where all the action happened.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:22 (Ref:980544)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am amazed that we have managed to get to any reasonable discussion on this after that start - which was blantant flame.

Well done to the members of ten-tenths. This is a great place discuss these incidents. I actually dreaded coming here after seeing that and at first I thought my fears were correct, but I was wrong, most left the pointlessness behind and posted their considered views.

How a mix-up in the tunnel at Monaco proves that Montoya is arrogant I don't know.

Last edited by Adam43; 23 May 2004 at 23:23.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:24 (Ref:980547)   #15
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by KaiserSose
It's nice when all the expert drivers here will take the time to point out all the faults in MS's driving.

I'm sure he's thankful for such a useful resource........you know, criticism from people who have reached the pinnacle of motorsport racing having never made a chump move.

Since this is your first post on the forum, I will say welcome.

On the other hand, you shouldn't slag us all off since we are not F1 drivers.

Anyhow, we are not muppets. Those of us who are interested in this sport are very knowledgable of the sport.

As a fan of F1 for 20 years, although I'm not in the 'clique' pleae give the consideration that I and the members of this forum can safely indulge in educated speculation.

Please don't 'shoot us down' because we are not in the thick of the action. You don't have to be in F1 to be aware of the technology and their characteristics.

Last edited by Spudgun; 23 May 2004 at 23:26.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:31 (Ref:980550)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hey, while we are on this lets discuss it. Here is IMHO:

Michael was daft to start such violent acceleration and braking in the tunnel. It is erratic behaviour that is unpredictable to the guy behind. The tunnel is dark. It was clear he was going for it as he locked up while doing it!

Juan Pablo could have given Schumacher more room while he was doing these things. He did try his best to get out the way only really coming unstuck when Michael went right and squeezed JPM into the wall (MS was not really expecting that).

I think it was an unfortunate mix up that would have been OK and just close if it had happened anywhere else other than Monaco. Like Sato's engine blow the nature of this tight track exagerated the outcome. Due to it being Monaco maybe Sato should have been pulled in, maybe Michael should have been more careful with warming his car's components and maybe Montoya should have allowed him more room. It'd would have been alright at Silverstone.

However it was an unfortunate mix-up.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:37 (Ref:980554)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
KaiserSose, welcome , but this is a discussion forum. We do have drivers present, but that is not the point.

We are here to discuss, if we rule out saying something because we don't current race in F1 then it would be a very quiet place. Also, on the subject of inexperience, it is nice to have a comment from someone with 1 post* about how this place works.

* One post of 20,000 don't make a difference around here, but I couldn't resist the joke
Old 23 May 2004, 23:40 (Ref:980556)   #18
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Nice conclusion, Adam!

(About the incident, I mean)

Last edited by gert; 23 May 2004 at 23:42.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:44 (Ref:980558)   #19
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Adam and Spud here.
Having read both side of the story (form MS and Monty) as well as forming my own opinions, this is what i think can be said.

Schumi was again using "Questionable" tactics under the Safety Car, although he is fully in his right too.
The problem comes not because schumacher was braking hard, but more because before hand he was accelerating hard, as was Montoya. Ever tried reacting to car that suddenly brakes hard in front of you whilst your accelerating, think about what you'd do....
Monty could have been further back, and may he should have been wise to the possibility of this form shcu. However to say that montoya woudl do this on purpose and attempt to lay complete blame on him is crass. He tried to avoid the Schumacher, which at least means he was awake! If it had been completely his fault he'd have probably ended right up Schumis arse, not squashed against the wall...
And to say he tried to drive into schu when along side, please there was a bloody great wall there which he'd just touched.....

Anyway, I think we can say a number of things that should have happened, maybe now schu won't try it again for a while, whilst monty will probably sit further back. Then again probably not.

Oh and btw it wold have been very unlikely that Schumacher would have won that race, given that he had to make up so much time on Trulli and Button, and in not a lot of laps. That was Ferrari's mistake, hopefully there'll learn from there US conterparts, if you need a pitstop, bring the driver in ASAP under the SC, other wise you'll lose out in the long run. BAR and Renault got it right, Ferrari didn't (and sod the fuel window, just put the fuel in....)

Still, it can't take away from what was a fabulous Grand Prix, something the season needed.

Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 23 May 2004 at 23:45.
Old 23 May 2004, 23:44 (Ref:980559)   #20
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think it's inexcusable for a car a lap down to take out the leader....no matter what 'mistake' MS supposedly made...Montoya was too close, and there is no excuse for him being along side the leader behind the safety car...
Old 23 May 2004, 23:45 (Ref:980561)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
What "irks" me is that Schumacher has refused to admit that he has made a mistake. (At least i didn't hear it.)
I have to say that i'm amazed that Michael hasn't said amything about the incident (that i know of). I'm with Martin Brundle on this when he said....

"If he's going to stamp on the brakes in the middle of the tunnel, he hasn't got anything he can say to Juan Pablo" (unless it's sorry of course )
Old 23 May 2004, 23:48 (Ref:980563)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenw
Personally I think it's inexcusable for a car a lap down to take out the leader....no matter what 'mistake' MS supposedly made...Montoya was too close, and there is no excuse for him being along side the leader behind the safety car...
Hi there Michael fan, i mean Stephen

The reason he was beside Michael was that Michael braked in the middle of the tunnel and JPM moved to avoid Michael.

Funny that you only seem to turn up when JPM and Michael have had an incident
Old 24 May 2004, 00:15 (Ref:980595)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
This thread has been shortened. All posts with offensive language or flame have been removed.

And this should come as no surprise to you all because you all read the rules when you signed up: http://tentenths.com/forum/misc.php?action=faq&s=

Old 24 May 2004, 00:25 (Ref:980605)   #24
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Hey, while we are on this lets discuss it. Here is IMHO:
Michael was daft to start such violent acceleration and braking in the tunnel. It is erratic behaviour that is unpredictable to the guy behind. The tunnel is dark. It was clear he was going for it as he locked up while doing it!
Juan Pablo could have given Schumacher more room while he was doing these things. He did try his best to get out the way only really coming unstuck when Michael went right and squeezed JPM into the wall (MS was not really expecting that).
I think it was an unfortunate mix up that would have been OK and just close if it had happened anywhere else other than Monaco. Like Sato's engine blow the nature of this tight track exagerated the outcome. Due to it being Monaco maybe Sato should have been pulled in, maybe Michael should have been more careful with warming his car's components and maybe Montoya should have allowed him more room. It'd would have been alright at Silverstone.
However it was an unfortunate mix-up.
valid points adam and i agree that the nature of the track exaggerated the outcome, almost anywhere else and we would'nt have had an incident....i don't know that michael could have won today, but he was mesmerizing in his attempt to make it close, setting fast lap after fast lap...and THAT exaggerates his daftness in the tunnel....oh well, next week its back to the emasculated nurburgring and back to the status quo i'm afraid....

Last edited by jj2728; 24 May 2004 at 00:26.
Old 24 May 2004, 00:34 (Ref:980611)   #25
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
funny how? Do you not want me to post on this board?

Tags
jpm