Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 May 2004, 09:03 (Ref:983547)   #1
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
BTCC Vectra - pics

went to the press day at the Motorshow yesterday and look what was there. It didn't look like a mock-up, although not sure if the car even had an engine, let alone a Diesel.

enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
vectra_ft.jpg  
Old 26 May 2004, 09:05 (Ref:983550)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
and rear
(only other tourer I saw was the Toldeo, which btw didn't have an engine)
Attached Thumbnails
vectra_rr.jpg  
Old 26 May 2004, 09:10 (Ref:983558)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's got to be the best I've ever seen the Vectra looking.
Old 26 May 2004, 09:17 (Ref:983575)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's what that is...

BTCC : Diesel Vectra for VX Racing?
Vauxhall has unveiled what it calls a 'BTCC Vectra Diesel concept' in its stand at the 2004 Motorshow live at the NEC in Birmingham. The fully liveried, BTCC-spec machine, fuels speculation that the marque may switch to the larger model for its BTCC assault, possibly as early as next year.

Source: MotorsTV
Old 26 May 2004, 11:40 (Ref:983728)   #5
md28
Rookie

md28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not 100% certain I like it. The wheels look too small compared to the whole car and the rather bulky looking BTC spec bodykit, but thats my opinion.

I definately think however, theres a high chance that they'll be using the vectra in BTCC next year. Astra Coupe is probably on it's last legs this year and i can't see it returning. Mk5 astra is good, but teh 3door version wont be out until mid 05 i think and Touring cars in general seem to be returning to 4 door cars again, thankfully.

Not sure why they are contiuing with BTC spec machines, imho Super 2000 is probably the way forward. I can see the possibility of using a diesel instead of petrol too. Then, if they have a **** year, they can lay blame to using an alternative means of power!! (me being pessimistic)

Interestingly, I see its the saloon version they have there, I always thought that if they entered the Vectra, it would be a hatchback as they are more rigid/suitable for racing? I do hope it goes ahead, but I really think they need to work on its appearance and use the sportier/tinted version lights aka GSi and ultimately VXR style I expect!!! (again, me being fussy)
Old 26 May 2004, 11:49 (Ref:983744)   #6
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
saloon can actually be better for aerodynamics sometimes as 1) it can sometime give more clear air to the wing, 2) the wing can be positioned in more possibilities and 3) weight, often a hatch back is both heavier and not as stiff as essentially a big hole has been cut out of the car.

Note the DTM Vectra is a hatch
Old 26 May 2004, 12:11 (Ref:983764)   #7
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love the BTCC to become more how it used to be with Vectras, ZSs, Toledos, Accords and Mondeos along with more 320s and 156s!
Old 26 May 2004, 13:18 (Ref:983848)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by md28
Not sure why they are contiuing with BTC spec machines, imho Super 2000 is probably the way forward.
I hope it's a S2000 spec car because that's the future (but the big rear spoiler is not S2000).
Old 26 May 2004, 14:02 (Ref:983898)   #9
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The write-up's on the older more boring Vectra has given the new version something not aim at. I think Vauxhall have got a problem with trying to make the new Vectra a hit on London's road (The new Mazda 6 is far more better looking for example).

I just hope that Vauxhall aren't doing what they did for the older Vectra "Put it on the track, pray it runs well and gets people into the showrooms and buying the thing!" You just got to hope and pray that the Vectra can out run the MG's and Seat's next year! Or it'll end up like the older Vectra which was in the BTCC back in the 90's and we all know how far that went...

On the subject of the BTCC version, not a bad looker (a brick wall is worse), and yes i'll agree with md28, the wheels are far too small. The rear needs a bit more colour, or atlest a sponsor or something as it looks really boring. Don't ask me why, but the BTCC car reminds me of the new Toyota Avensis...which isn't a good start...

Last edited by SPARK Msport; 26 May 2004 at 14:05.
Old 26 May 2004, 14:53 (Ref:983965)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Are there no pictures from the side of the car?
Old 26 May 2004, 15:00 (Ref:983971)   #11
md28
Rookie

The DTM version are hatches and so are the current SRi and GSi road versions and i remebered reading that Vaux would prefer a hatch over a saloon, but claerly not in this concept.

Spark, I can't see vauxhall being very competitive if they use the vectra next year, as to be fair no car is amazing in its first year of racing. I'm sure with the introduction of a BTCC vectra, then we'll see a VXR road going version of the Vectra and conveniently, they've been talking about making that a twin turbo diesel model, so both would tie up quite well if Vaux plumped for a diesel version BTCC car.
Old 26 May 2004, 16:59 (Ref:984110)   #12
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
I hope it's a S2000 spec car because that's the future (but the big rear spoiler is not S2000).
Im almost certain it is BTCT Spec
Old 26 May 2004, 17:00 (Ref:984111)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by andy_b
often a hatch back is both heavier and not as stiff as essentially a big hole has been cut out of the car
Ahh the now (im)famous DGH

Those who weren't here a few years ago will have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 26 May 2004, 17:11 (Ref:984124)   #14
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vauxhall suggested a while ago that any vectra development would be to BTC spec for the reason that they can transfer existing resourses to a Vectra more easily than builing to ETCC spec.
Old 26 May 2004, 17:19 (Ref:984136)   #15
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those tires look small & funny...

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 26 May 2004, 19:33 (Ref:984279)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It just looks like a big Astra Coupé to me. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but Motorsport News are reporting Vauxhall will have a new model next year, either the Vectra or the new Astra.

As 'nut said they built it BTCC spec because they have 4 years of development behind them with components, also ETCC cars are geared towards using upgraded road car parts, so in Vauxhalls case we know how silly that'd be...

Last edited by touringlegend; 26 May 2004 at 19:34.
Old 26 May 2004, 19:54 (Ref:984304)   #17
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
So VX Racing are likely to keep to BTCC spec for as long as it's working for them then?

This is definately a BTCC spec car.

And it makes complete sense to not continue with the Astra Coupé next year - since that model now is well into being phased out, and the new Astra is back to the old shape look - more Focus like / over-sized Corsa.

I don't know, since all current Vauxhall's are butt-ugly, I don't really care which one they run. I guess I wanted them to use the VX220 or the Monaro
Old 26 May 2004, 19:59 (Ref:984314)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well it certainly looks the part doesn't it.
Old 27 May 2004, 09:35 (Ref:984869)   #19
oz tourers
Rookie

oz tourers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont mind the vectra looking like that. we have that model here in australia, and i've thought about seeing it in a race guise. it looks good, but i have to say, i think that vauxhall would have been smarter to go down the super 2000 route over the BTCC car. even to someone who hasn't had mid-size saloon racing in their country since the super tourer days, it looks like super 2000 is the way of the future. If only a super 2000 class would begin here! i see so many road cars every day that could be eligable (as race versions of course)
Old 27 May 2004, 09:50 (Ref:984886)   #20
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be strange having Vectras racing along side the older Astras (which I'm sure will be in the BTCC for a good couple of years).
Old 27 May 2004, 14:54 (Ref:985195)   #21
md28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by touringcarnut
It will be strange having Vectras racing along side the older Astras (which I'm sure will be in the BTCC for a good couple of years).
Well it's happening in the DTM with opel using the Vectra and astra coupe alongside each other.

I do hope they use the Vectra next year, atleast it's a return to a four door saloon car, even if it does look a bit odd. Hopefully going to the show next week, so I will see it in the flesh and give it my opinion then.
Old 28 May 2004, 17:38 (Ref:986529)   #22
bf1
Racer

Ireland
Waterford, Ireland / Swansea, Wales
bf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me thinks that the New Astra will be Developed to S2000 spec around 2005ish so they will have a car to compete with when BTC regs go

bf1
Old 28 May 2004, 21:53 (Ref:986720)   #23
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Or Vauxhall will leave when S2000 comes in full force? Triple Eight will all pack up and go for a tax break in Oz to run in the V8 Supercars...

And Seat, a bunch of second hand BMW's & Alfa's will invade our circuits and win the B/ETCC.
Old 29 May 2004, 12:20 (Ref:987164)   #24
Tim.Lad
Racer

Tim.Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 429CJ
Those tires look small & funny...
The new vectra has huge arches.. mine has 17" wheels with thick rubber and they still look small
Old 30 May 2004, 22:13 (Ref:988683)   #25
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
It just looks like a big Astra Coupé to me. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but Motorsport News are reporting Vauxhall will have a new model next year, either the Vectra or the new Astra.

I'm not surprised at Vauxhall thinking about using a new model next year, since there is a new Vectra and now a new Astra. They wouldn't want to promote an old model. The cuurent Astra must be at the end of possible development by now.

I'm surprised they are thinking of the Vectra though. I'd thought they'd have stayed with the Astra, in my eyes anyway.

On the other hand, it's all about about marketing and perhaps they want a change.